INTRODUCING ----------->1969 Roamer Riviera <------------

INTRODUCING ----------->1969 Roamer Riviera <------------

Paul
Paul

March 17th, 2010, 3:19 pm #1

WELCOME
Chris Craft Roamer Owners and Fans !

Brian has produced stunning results in aluminum and wood, with his total restoration and repowering of this 1969 38' Roamer Riviera !
1969 was a very good year !

The boat has been repowered with diesels, has custom props, and fabulous woodworking throughout.
Only 7 Rivieras were built with Aluminum this year, and 12 were built of steel.

While this is not a Commander, it was designed and built by Chris Craft, and none other than our Friend-of-the-Forum, Chris Smith, personally tested many of these boats and most likely this one when it left the plant. From the past interest level here on The Forum, we have found there is a respectful appreciation between the Commander and Roamer community, and we're very pleased to have Brian aboard as a contributor and participant here.

Many thanks to Brian for sharing his work with the Commander community here. This Forum is focused on the Chris Craft Commander but we want the Roamer guys to know they're welcome here too, and also to know how much we admire and respect these boats, their owners, and top quality workmanship!

Regards, stay tuned, Paul

Stay tuned, more to come !!

Again in February of 2012 this beautiful Roamer is featured as our PHOTO OF THE DAY.

Edit comments: Wow the emails started coming fast when I originally noted this as a 1958 Roamer ! Thanks guys ! Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on February 28th, 2012, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2010, 3:45 pm #2

Amazing difference of restoration requirements when you are dealing with aluminum or steel (aluminum in this case) versus fiberglass. Much of the work is the same, but the sandblasting and anti-corrosion provisions are unique to Roamer restoration.

More to come from Brian's documentation..........

Regards,

Paul

Steve
Steve

March 17th, 2010, 3:48 pm #3

WELCOME

Brian has produced stunning results in aluminum and wood, with his total restoration and repowering of this 1969 38' Roamer Riviera !

The boat has been repowered with diesels, has custom props, and fabulous woodworking throughout.

While this is not a Commander, it was designed and built by Chris Craft, and none other than our Friend-of-the-Forum, Chris Smith, personally tested many of these boats and most likely this one when it left the plant. From the past interest level here on The Forum, we have found there is a respectful appreciation between the Commander and Roamer community, and we're very pleased to have Brian aboard as a contributor and participant here.

Many thanks to Brian for sharing his work with the Commander community here. This Forum is focused on the Chris Craft Commander but we want the Roamer guys to know they're welcome here too, and also to know how much we admire and respect these boats, their owners, and top quality workmanship!

Again in February of 2012 this beautiful Roamer is featured as our PHOTO OF THE DAY.

Edit comments: Wow the emails started coming fast when I originally noted this as a 1958 Roamer ! Thanks guys ! Paul
No matter who you are, what your into, art, cars, boats, airplanes, motorcycles, basket weaving, knitting, cat juggling etc. there's no way you can look at boats like that and NOT say, THATS COOL! I love these old boats and it never gets old.
Steve Lendzion
'69 42' Commander
Bear Z Girl

March 17th, 2010, 3:55 pm #4

Amazing difference of restoration requirements when you are dealing with aluminum or steel (aluminum in this case) versus fiberglass. Much of the work is the same, but the sandblasting and anti-corrosion provisions are unique to Roamer restoration.

More to come from Brian's documentation..........

Regards,

Paul

Okay........are you guys stunned yet?

There's more! Look at this attention to detail and craftsmanship.

Absolutely fabulous job, Brian, and an inspiration to all of us,
no matter whether we're working on a Roamer, Commander, Lancer, or anything else for that matter!

Now I'm interested in seeing the business end of that custom "turbocharged" script!

Regards, Paul

March 17th, 2010, 4:25 pm #5

No matter who you are, what your into, art, cars, boats, airplanes, motorcycles, basket weaving, knitting, cat juggling etc. there's no way you can look at boats like that and NOT say, THATS COOL! I love these old boats and it never gets old.
Steve Lendzion
'69 42' Commander
Bear Z Girl
I continue to be blown away by the quality of some these refurb projects showing up on this forum. This one is beautiful as well. The individuals who have the fortitude to take something like that on are rare, not to mention the cash it takes. These boats will be around long after I'm dead and gone with a little care. Can't wait to see the engine room, bet she will be very fast with that lightweight aluminum and a pair a turbo diesels. Very cool!

What part of the country is she in and kind of paint system was used?

Greg Mason

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

March 17th, 2010, 4:39 pm #6

I am continually amazed of the high quality restorations, and passionate obsession for excellence that we find within the Chris Craft cruiser community. I am sure there must be other brand names that see this kind of action, but it seems like Chris Craft attracts an appreciation level far beyond any others.

Great job Brian!

Tom

Kevin
Kevin

March 17th, 2010, 5:28 pm #7

I continue to be blown away by the quality of some these refurb projects showing up on this forum. This one is beautiful as well. The individuals who have the fortitude to take something like that on are rare, not to mention the cash it takes. These boats will be around long after I'm dead and gone with a little care. Can't wait to see the engine room, bet she will be very fast with that lightweight aluminum and a pair a turbo diesels. Very cool!

What part of the country is she in and kind of paint system was used?

Greg Mason
I think the 37/38/41 Roamer's are the most beautiful of all non-wood cruisers. they look they are going 40 mph even when docked! All proportions are perfect, in my view. Too bad they did not offer it in fiberglass (I know the 35 is kinda like it).

This boat is in Annapolis and I have been on the boat before the latest refit. This is the second refit, the first was stunning enough! This is one of the two (Al's the other) that are STUNNING.

Kevin

Paul
Paul

March 17th, 2010, 6:39 pm #8

Magnificient ship, eh?

Paul

March 17th, 2010, 6:54 pm #9

WELCOME

Absolutly stunning - aluminium hull, hi end wood interior, it reminds me of an Italian sports car. I suspect diesel powered as well. What kind of engines?

John Austin

Kevin
Kevin

March 17th, 2010, 8:45 pm #10

Al decided on the new fuel injected computer controled gas big blocks and he could not be happier. He gets 1.3 mpg at over 20 knots and can get over 1.5 mpg at about 15knts (if memeory serves me).

The cost is a fraction of diesels for installation and purchase. His maintenance is very low as well. A major service for a diesel can be as much as buying a new gas engine.

Kevin