Inglorious end to a 31 Express?

Inglorious end to a 31 Express?

February 17th, 2009, 3:42 pm #1

Anybody see the article in the current issue of Boating Magazine regarding the floating of, and subsequent removal, relocation, and finally destruction of an abandoned (sunken) 31' Express?

I can't understand why anybody would just sink their boat and leave it. Especially a classic Commander that there seems to always be demand for. Heck, just give it away to a boat yard for parting out if nothing else.

Looking at the disposal of the boat made me think of all the serviceable parts / components that could be available in the aftermarket parts business that are now buried in a landfill somewhere in Florida.

Kevin Bray
'06 CC Launch 22
'69 31' Commander Express

Paul
Paul

February 17th, 2009, 3:52 pm #2

Unfortunately this happens with many classic boats and cars each year.

With some automobiles, for instance, I can not even remember the last time I saw some of the very cool (or rare) cars on the road, and in days past you would see one about every week or so. Just think how many fiberglass Lancers (and Commanders) have been trashed over the years. Web sites like this one are doing what we can, to spread the info about the classic glass Chris Crafts, and sadly, there are still lots of people out there who have not gotten the word. There are irresponsible people, and irresponsible actions, accidents, health issues, whatever, and many times a good boat or car ends up taking the hit, sadly.

Regards,

Paul