October 2nd, 2017, 8:04 am #11

Have a nice day.
Marco

October 4th, 2017, 5:56 pm #12

The V-drive extends under the rear seat bench through a hole in the bulkhead. That explains the patch that you have covering the hole. You must have one of the early V-drive XKs, as they were transitioning to the I/O. Have you found the hull # on the boat?
O finding a complete engine with v drive?
Have a great evening

October 4th, 2017, 6:25 pm #13

It is possible in time and space, given a billion years or so, that a monkey will play the entire works of Scarlatti on the harpsichord without making a mistake

Paul

October 4th, 2017, 8:30 pm #14

But the 327Q came as a shaft prop too?
And paragon Vdrives are still available, am I wrong?

Paul
Paul

October 4th, 2017, 11:24 pm #15

As far as being "available", well yes they are but i think only from recycled boats. Someone would buy pieces and put everything together but finding the whole package would sure assure you had all the right pieces and parts. I can not remember ever seeing a package like that for sale but hey, it may be out there somewhere. Even if the motor is toast, it would still be good to get the whole package so you at least have the original package. Swapping an outdrive for a v-drive sounds like converting an Aston martin from an automatic transmission to a manual 5-speed, which one would probably be better off staying with the automatic or looking for a car already fitted with the 5-speed. If you have a functional outdrive, I would sure consider running it until it broke

Regards,
Paul

October 5th, 2017, 12:32 am #16

Is it possible that this could have been some sort of factory conversion? In the classic car world I've heard of many odd things being modified for one reason or another. I recall a story about a mid sixties Corvette. The guy restoring it found "p" on the vin tag where the paint code was. There was no "p" paint code. After a lot of research he discovered that the car was special ordered through the GM COPO system(Central Office Production Order) unpainted. The "P" was for Primer.
Seeing that this boat has the Italian connection I think anything is possible. Not likely, but possible. I guess the point I'm trying to make is before you go doing a ton of modifications to what you think is correct, do a bit of research first. You could destroy a one off creation.

I can just imagine two engineers pontificating about using a trans-drive on an XK instead of the V-drive and one saying, "lets take one off the line and try it out".

October 5th, 2017, 11:42 am #17

As far as being "available", well yes they are but i think only from recycled boats. Someone would buy pieces and put everything together but finding the whole package would sure assure you had all the right pieces and parts. I can not remember ever seeing a package like that for sale but hey, it may be out there somewhere. Even if the motor is toast, it would still be good to get the whole package so you at least have the original package. Swapping an outdrive for a v-drive sounds like converting an Aston martin from an automatic transmission to a manual 5-speed, which one would probably be better off staying with the automatic or looking for a car already fitted with the 5-speed. If you have a functional outdrive, I would sure consider running it until it broke

Regards,
Paul
And unpredictable too...
Ciao!

Marco

October 5th, 2017, 11:52 am #18

Is it possible that this could have been some sort of factory conversion? In the classic car world I've heard of many odd things being modified for one reason or another. I recall a story about a mid sixties Corvette. The guy restoring it found "p" on the vin tag where the paint code was. There was no "p" paint code. After a lot of research he discovered that the car was special ordered through the GM COPO system(Central Office Production Order) unpainted. The "P" was for Primer.
Seeing that this boat has the Italian connection I think anything is possible. Not likely, but possible. I guess the point I'm trying to make is before you go doing a ton of modifications to what you think is correct, do a bit of research first. You could destroy a one off creation.

I can just imagine two engineers pontificating about using a trans-drive on an XK instead of the V-drive and one saying, "lets take one off the line and try it out".
I'm moving slowly, want to understand what's gone on with the boat...
I tried to contact the agency that licensed the boat to see if they remember something and in the meantime I'm searching with the "motorizzazione civile", the organism deputed to assign license plates.
I'm writing to Chris Craft itself to see if they have a record or something.

My main concern now is to place the boat on a self built dolly. I have an engine crane, a small forklift good for 1600kg , many axle jacks. I'll post a picture of the "THING" as I finish it...

One clue for you all, it has 9 wheels...

Ciao,

Marco

Craig L
Craig L

October 5th, 2017, 4:42 pm #19

I looked under the bow but nothing...
On our XK-22 the hull code is embossed in the gelcoat just below the rubrail to the right when facing the transom. It’s also glassed into the inside of the transom port side a few inches below the top deck joint.
These were also the locations on our 23 Lancer Overnighter .
Good luck!
Craig L

October 12th, 2017, 9:24 am #20

Hello everybody,
I'm working on the boat.
I disassembled the ugly swim platform, quite an effort being alone and trying to undo fasteners outside while keeping the nut from rotating on the inside, many bad words wafted through the air...
I started to pull the flooring but hey what an effort!

I'm more and more convinced that this was a v-drive:
I don't know if you can pick it from my poor pictures but on both sides of the transom there are plugs printing through the paint, just where exhaust should be, about 6 inches from the side and just above waterline:
Left side:

Right side:

My footrest has a recess where the steering column should pass to reach this:

Sorry for my elucubrations, don't mean to bore anybody.

Have a nice day,

Marco
Wounds on the dashboard:

Someone installed a homemade bulkhead between engine bay and fwd part of the bilge.

Btw should floor panel aside the engine be glassed to the hull side? Mine are but it doesn't look as a standard feature...
Any clues?

Ciao,

Marco

In the meantime I oredered these items:

Teardrop bow light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Teardro ... 3208803965?
Documentation:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-CHRIS-CRAF ... 2749.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRIS-CRAFT-307 ... 2749.l2649