September 5th, 2017, 2:40 pm #11

Here are a couple photos of a show winner at Buffalo Launch Club, the oldest powerboat club in the world. This is a 1969 v-drive model with the side opening engine access panels. Later XK models used a large one-piece lift up hatch for engine access. You can see this one had the 230-hp 327Q motor. Italian models got the same mechanical package shipped directly from the US. Other models from Italy, mostly larger boats, received diesels such as Perkins and Fiat AFIO, in addition to gasoline motors from the US.

Here is another one but I am reluctant to say, it has been modified beyond what I would want with the wood dashboard and swim platform, both of which are unnecessary and not original. This boat was in the same show and did not win.

Here is the same boat 4 years earlier before it received the custom wood dash.

This one was owned by Country Music Super-Star, Alan Jackson, which he donated by auction to a charity cause for $35,000. Today that same boat would sell for considerably more. Photo from 2006,

Regards,
Paul

This photo below is an original boat, owned by Chad Durren, presently under restoration to a 100-point boat with repaired dashboard, etc.

properly done restored instruments.

September 5th, 2017, 4:34 pm #12

Thanks a lot!
Marco

September 6th, 2017, 3:40 pm #13

It's my pleasure to be hanging out with a great group like this.

regards,
Paul

Marco
Marco

September 6th, 2017, 3:42 pm #14

Hello,
my name is Marco and I'm writing from Monza, Italy.
I'm 43 and I'm a classic bike restorer
I'm a huge fan of american boats since when my dad bought his first Bertram 28.
We currently own a 1986 Bertram 46.6 and a Boston 13 from 1971 (blue gelcoat interior).
I've always liked Chris Craft boats and I was looking for a Lancer but here in Italy they're quite scarce and I haven't found a suitable candidate...
Instead I found an XK19 in burgundy, I suppose it's the only one in Italy, I still haven't bought it but this saturday I'll go and have a look at it.
I have read avidly almost everything on the forum regarding Commander SS and XK19.
The boat I'm going to see it's a 1970 model with sterndrive and an OMC 504STHR which replaced the original unit (still have to ask what it was).
Unfortunately the dashboard has been modified to install OMC gauges (not a well done work).
My intention is to restore it so I need to find a CC engine and to replace the ugly dashboard with the lovely wooden unit with chrome bezel CC gauges. Unfortunaely I know almost nothing about gauges and I'd like to know if I can wire the OMC engine to CC gauges...
Well, let's see if I can bring the XK19 home!!
Have a nice day,

Marco

Hello Everybody,

I just concluded for the 1970 XK19, maybe next saturday I'll pick it up.
I'm already dreaming of restoring it to 100% originality but I need some info...

1 Has CC ever built the XK19 in Italy?
2 If yes they locally sourced for parts?
3 Chris Craft advertised that a 300HP engine was standard for the 1970 sterndrive XK19, is it the 302, 327 or 350?
4 How difficult would be to find a suitable engine?
5 In case I have to keep the OMC V8 can I install an exhaust diverter? Now is TOO QUIET! Cool for long distances but a little sad when you fire it up!

Ciao,

Marco

Paul
Paul

September 6th, 2017, 3:44 pm #15

I looked through the original production literature for the Italian boats, and I see several XK models, including the XK-18, 19 and 22. In addition I see a lot of information on the ORAZ series 19-foot Lancer with 200-hp and even a boat called the 19-foot Super Lancer with 200-hp.

All of these runabouts received standard V8 engine packages with volvo outdrives, just as they would if they were built in the United States. I have a ton of information showing how much money the Chris-Craft plant in Italy spent each year importing US motors to Italy for the boats built in Italy. The 19-foot boats are listed as "Chris-Craft gasoline with Volvo transdrive". In the case where theyr are options, like the 28-foot Super Catalina, they also list Perkins and Fiat/Aifo diesels, and a note that Cummins diesels are available on some boats with special order (such as the 33 Sports Sedan).

The 20-foot Capri got the 235-hp motor, and I would think the XK did too but have not found any specific info yet. 1975 records indicate a 19-foot Lancer with 1-200 hp took 240 hours to produce, at a cost of 4.041.372 (which I assume is Italian lira)

And just now as I am looking page at a time, I now see an August 1974 Sales Analysis showing a 19-foot XK with power listed as 1-300 which means it received one motor of 300-horsepower, and another notation of nine (9) being sold in August of 1974. So this information ABSOLUTELY confirms the XK was being produced in Italy with 300-hp. To further support this, Herb Pocklington sent me promo material a few years ago showing an ad for the market in Sweden, where they listed the word "Fart" in big letters which in Swedish means "Fast". This ad (shown below) makes reference to a 310-hp motor and I would attribute that to the fact that perhaps they were using a dyno rating rather than taking the rating at the shaft like most US CC boats did.

As you may know, the small block GM based V8 motors of this era are all externally identical in size, and only the internal bore, pistons, and crankshaft will determine what cubic inch displacement the motor will have. They all look the same and all have the same motor mount and transmission hook up capabilities. Therefore a search for a motor should not be impossible, and in fact, the motor now in the boat (if it is a GM motor) is the same internal block and only the cooling system and valve covers would be different, and maybe the intake manifold too (basically the block could be fitted with all the pumps, thermostat, etc. that CC used and it would be, in essence, a CC motor). OMC used Ford motors for awhile, and I can't tell from looking at it if it's a Ford or GM but the charts indicate the 504 is a GM.

502APRGDP (GM) 5.0L 1988
502APRJVB (Ford) 5.0L 1993
502APRMED (Ford) 5.0L 1989
502APRPWS (Ford) 5.0L 1990
502APRRGD (Ford) 5.0L 1991
502BPBYC (GM) 5.0L 1998
502BPRAMH (Ford) 5.0L 1992
502BPRJVB (Ford) 5.0L 1993
502BPRRGD (Ford) 5.0L 1991
502BPRMED (Ford) 5.0L 1989
502BPRPWS (Ford) 5.0L 1990
504AMARY (GM) 5.0L 1987
504AMFTC (GM) 5.0L 1987
504AMKWB (GM) 5.0L 1986
504AMLGDP (GM) 5.0L 1988
504AMWXS (GM) 5.0L 1986
504APARY (GM) 5.0L 1987
504APFTC (GM) 5.0L 1987
504APKWB (GM) 5.0L 1986
504APRGDP (GM) 5.0L 1988

Regarding exhaust, I believe the exhaust manifolds will fit onto the boat so they exit forward and reverse. The XK v-drive boats exit forward and there is a big loop back to the lower transom on port and starboard where the exhaust tip is located on those boats. Later models has exhaust tips higher where they exhaust came directly off the motor and out the transom, and yes, that would get some attention when the motor started up

The 300 hp motor was likely the 350FLV, here is a photo and specification sheet.

Regards,
Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on September 6th, 2017, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 6th, 2017, 7:40 pm #16

from my experience, I have yet to see otherwise. Ford block distributor at front of engine. Chev block if distributer at back of engine. Yours looks to be a chev. possibly 350 but impossible to tell from pics

September 6th, 2017, 10:20 pm #17

it's tough when I see one with a totally different thermostat and cooling system, tough to tell about the distributor location too because they took power off the front and rear of these motors from time to time.

This one looks like a flywheel aft setup

regards,
Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on September 27th, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 7th, 2017, 2:15 am #18

Hello Everybody,

I just concluded for the 1970 XK19, maybe next saturday I'll pick it up.
I'm already dreaming of restoring it to 100% originality but I need some info...

1 Has CC ever built the XK19 in Italy?
2 If yes they locally sourced for parts?
3 Chris Craft advertised that a 300HP engine was standard for the 1970 sterndrive XK19, is it the 302, 327 or 350?
4 How difficult would be to find a suitable engine?
5 In case I have to keep the OMC V8 can I install an exhaust diverter? Now is TOO QUIET! Cool for long distances but a little sad when you fire it up!

Ciao,

Marco
Here is what you can spend a lot of money on, and get another 100-hp, and take a look at those exhaust pipes too !!
This is a later model style than the one you are looking at, because it has the large and heavy one-piece spring-assisted rear hatch. Incidentely, just this week in the US one of these hatches opened by accident while being towed and it blew right off the boat and landed in the highway, as the tow vehicle continued on for miles and didn't even know it. Later they drove back and retraced their route, and found it still in the highway, hopefully able to be repaired. Your two-piece hatch is more like the black one in the previous photos.

Here is the link to the entire boat show at Buffalo Launch Club, where these photos were taken.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1378526438

Regards,
Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on September 9th, 2017, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 7th, 2017, 8:43 am #19

I'd love to have one but I fear it's too expensive for the moment...
The OMC 504STHRCRA from 1984 it's a 5.0L Chevy block as far as I understand so it should be the 307ci, am I correct?
I think I'll keep it for the moment, as it only has 360 hours of active life.
I'll keep you posted!

Cheers,

Marco

September 7th, 2017, 8:45 am #20

from my experience, I have yet to see otherwise. Ford block distributor at front of engine. Chev block if distributer at back of engine. Yours looks to be a chev. possibly 350 but impossible to tell from pics
Have a nice day,
Marco