Hardtop Support Repair?

Hardtop Support Repair?

August 4th, 2011, 12:57 pm #1

Paul & All,

Forty Four years of saltwater exposure has caused a problem with the port support for the hardtop and flybridge on DuckTales. I would like to find out if anyone has experience with repairing this problem.

The joint between the vertical C-channel support and the base plate has rusted through and must be replaced.

The vertical support is a long C-channel that runs from the base plate up between the cockpit and the hull and attaches to the same wood support that the stainless steel tubing that supports the hardtop and flybridge.

This is a photo of the starboard side, but it shows the wood support that the C-channel is attached to.

I would like to find out if anyone has made this repair.? If so, could you share the process?

Any information would be appreciated.

Bob Koss

Jerry
Jerry

August 4th, 2011, 1:47 pm #2

Paul, Bob and All:
Rob I had the same issue. We fitted a piece of channel iron in the rusted piece and welded it.
Jerry

Bob Koss
Bob Koss

August 4th, 2011, 5:19 pm #3

Are there any issues with welding in the bilge next to 40 gals. of gas?

Bob Koss

Paul
Paul

August 4th, 2011, 5:47 pm #4

Paul, Bob and All:
Rob I had the same issue. We fitted a piece of channel iron in the rusted piece and welded it.
Jerry
Interesting, on TRADITION the side support did not even touch down, as you can see here in the photo it was never even bearing on the fiberglass support. I added some wood wedges to give it a little support. I point out that our boat was not furnished with a flybridge from CC, only as a Express hardtop.

Here are two threads that deal with this issue:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/t ... 8photos%29

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/t ... e+Supports

Here is Curt Radford pointing at the steel support on a 38, which is similar on the 31 you have.

Strange as it was.....my supports never even touched down on a solid substrate, but my 38 is a hardtop with added flybridge. Curt Hill's boat however, was the same, and his was a 38 Sport Fisherman.
These photos were taken back when my iron exhaust collector failed, and all such collectors should be replaced due to monoxide, water, and fire danger.

Here is one with the proper support, as mine is now.
Here is another38 with the supports properly bolstered, as mine are now.

On your boat the salt got down into the bottom support area and caused major rusting. I think this could be fixed with a through bolted connection onto a new foot piece that could be inserted without welding.

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

August 4th, 2011, 5:49 pm #5

Bob Koss
Heck no Bob, there are no issues welding next to a full gas tank, may as well smoke a cigar while you're doing it......(of course I am joking, welding in the bilge should be avoided).

I would go with a bolt on solution.

Paul

Jerry
Jerry

August 4th, 2011, 7:30 pm #6

Bob Koss
Paul, Rob and all:
The gas is not volitale, but the fumes are. Take precautions. We used a big ass box fan, draped an asbestus blanket, and had a container for the slag to fall into and such. run water over the gas tank if need be. Use a garden pressure pump up tank full of water to cool the weld down quickly.

I will go to the boat on Friday and take photos for you to see the results. Besides, if 40 gallons of gas go up, you won't feel a thing.

If water is a problem, fill a garden pessure tank with water and pump AND spray while welding.

Good luck and it was nice to know you! LOL
Jerry

Bob Koss
Bob Koss

August 5th, 2011, 1:19 pm #7

Interesting, on TRADITION the side support did not even touch down, as you can see here in the photo it was never even bearing on the fiberglass support. I added some wood wedges to give it a little support. I point out that our boat was not furnished with a flybridge from CC, only as a Express hardtop.

Here are two threads that deal with this issue:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/t ... 8photos%29

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/t ... e+Supports

Here is Curt Radford pointing at the steel support on a 38, which is similar on the 31 you have.

Strange as it was.....my supports never even touched down on a solid substrate, but my 38 is a hardtop with added flybridge. Curt Hill's boat however, was the same, and his was a 38 Sport Fisherman.
These photos were taken back when my iron exhaust collector failed, and all such collectors should be replaced due to monoxide, water, and fire danger.

Here is one with the proper support, as mine is now.
Here is another38 with the supports properly bolstered, as mine are now.

On your boat the salt got down into the bottom support area and caused major rusting. I think this could be fixed with a through bolted connection onto a new foot piece that could be inserted without welding.

Regards,

Paul
Paul, Jerry, and All

Thanks for the information and links related to this problem. I think I can have a base plate and through bolted support made a local fabrication shop. This fix sound much safer then welding next to the fuel tank.

I should be able to do it without major damage to myself or DuckTales. Which means I can post photos of the process.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Bob Koss

Jerry
Jerry

August 6th, 2011, 1:41 am #8

Paul, Rob ane All:
That is also a good solution expedially if welding bothers you. Remember to use the same kind of metal as the pieces so you go get the oxidition problem. paint everything twice. Should be good.
Jerry

Paul
Paul

August 6th, 2011, 2:48 am #9

I think the side walls of the original channel could be drilled and a new assembly consisting of plate steel and a new pre-welded foot could be used with good results. You have the opportunity to reach several inches up into good metal to do this. I would be careful to not unduly pinch the sidewalls of that original channel when tightening up the through-bolts. Yes indeed, prime and paint everything, and I would use stainless steel bolts just because they are strong and not a cost issue with this volume.

The actual loading on this assembly would most likely be far lower than the shear on those stainless steel bolts. Upon installation, I would also use a pair of wood wedges dipped in epoxy to make up the final difference between your new metal foot and the fiberglass ridge you are bearing on, and make a nice snug fit for bedding.

Best,

Paul

Paul
Paul

January 13th, 2012, 4:08 pm #10

Paul & All,

Forty Four years of saltwater exposure has caused a problem with the port support for the hardtop and flybridge on DuckTales. I would like to find out if anyone has experience with repairing this problem.

The joint between the vertical C-channel support and the base plate has rusted through and must be replaced.

The vertical support is a long C-channel that runs from the base plate up between the cockpit and the hull and attaches to the same wood support that the stainless steel tubing that supports the hardtop and flybridge.

This is a photo of the starboard side, but it shows the wood support that the C-channel is attached to.

I would like to find out if anyone has made this repair.? If so, could you share the process?

Any information would be appreciated.

Bob Koss

The vertical tubes on my 1966 Express do not extend down to a foundation, they are through-bolted to the plywood bulkhead at the locations shown.

Regards,

Paul