Fresh carb time for the big dogs

Paul
Paul

May 25th, 2014, 3:06 am #1

Well after the swap of freshly rebuilt Carter AFB carbs and a successful test run i am now enjoying that Debonaire cigar on the aft deck with an appropriate beverage. Thank you Phil Zanghi for these superb cigars !! None better!

Regards

Paul

Edit comment: The following link is mentioned in this thread but I wanted to post it again on this first page here, so people did not miss it. It is a complete disassembly and rebuild "how to" thread for the Carter AFB Enjoy !
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/t ... d+time+%21
Last edited by FEfinaticP on September 19th, 2017, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

May 25th, 2014, 9:59 pm #2

The spares i just rebuilt were filthy inside, but the take-offs were pretty clean due to my having rebuilt them in fairly recent history. Now since those are basically clean I will just order specific parts and rebuild them too. Probably best to store them upside down to keep pressure off the rubber needle tips, but most likely does not matter. I love the AFB, so simple and easy, the only tool needed is a screwdriver.

Regards,

Paul

May 26th, 2014, 5:11 pm #3

Hi Paul,

Hope you are having a wonderful and safe Memorial Day knowing our Armed Forces are out there protecting our great nation allowing us to enjoy the freedoms we many times take for granted like time with our families, BBQ, boating... and of course boating repairs and maintenance!

Just wondering if there is a thread detailing how to rebuild a Carter AFB?

I bought 2x 1409s to replace the AFBs on the 36' but since its a fishing machine the floors are lower than normal and I had issues with clearance. With the ABFs, the spark arrestors actually touched the sound proofing under the floors leaving a slight impression in them. When installing the 1409s I had to add spacers to allow clearance for the throttle linkage and now don't have the proper room for spark arrestors so am reverting back to the Carters. They were rebuilt when I first acquired "Giggity" about 6 years ago, I would like to go through them to ensure they are good to go.

Just unscrew them as you did above and clean? Any other tips?

Jim
Pacific Northwest Fleet Commander
Last edited by 36TFisher on May 26th, 2014, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

May 26th, 2014, 7:56 pm #4

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/t ... d+time+%21

Be sure not to reverse the little primary venturi castings, the fit either way but the little stem should be on the inboard side of the carb body.

Be sure the step metering rods are out when you place the top casting back on the body.

Be sure floats are set, i used 3/16 for the shut off dimension to avoid flooding and 23/32 for the hang down drop (same as 430 Lincoln).

Use a cigarette lighter on the choke coil to understand directional movement. You may think it moves the other direction.

Be sure to have spring and small metal retainer on the plunger.

Be sure the little rubber tipped needle has the hook onto the float to lift it, one carb i opened did not and it must have run like crap (from a spare engine)

Photograph as you take apart

It is basically a clean and gasket job, pretty easy!

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone

May 26th, 2014, 8:28 pm #5

I will walk thru your list before putting them back on.
Your effort to detail is much appreciated... I am not much of a carb guy
Jim

Paul
Paul

May 26th, 2014, 9:40 pm #6

Now that i have 6 of them, 4 calibrated for the big dogs and 2 for the mouse motors, I'm starting to like them alot !

Regards,

Paul

September 19th, 2017, 3:32 pm #7

One of the things I've done recently is to carry a spare carb aboard any boat I am running. The good news is, the 350 in the Skiff and the 427 in the 38 Commander both use the same carb today, but the Skiff originally had a different version when it was stock. The Skiff has an Edelbrock #1409 marine carb on it right now and I am about to pop on one of the carbs in this rebuild thread onto that motor. I am also about to change out the fuel filter too to assure I am not working the fuel pump too hard and to assure I'm getting the proper flow.

These are really simmple carbs, so much easier to work on than a Holley. They work fine too. I recommend getting a spare, rebuilding it and spraying it down with Gibbs Brand, and putting it in a plastic bag to stowe aboard your boat. That way even if you are anchored 20-miles out, you can take a few minutes and swap one out if you think you need to, and then you'll either be able to motor back nicely or perhaps know it's something other than the carb.

Regards,
Paul