FRAV-19-0028

FRAV-19-0028

Chad Durren
Chad Durren

March 28th, 2012, 3:10 am #1

Hello Commander Clan,

I just acquired a '69 Commander SS and thought I would introduce myself. I'm sure I will be visiting the site often
to seek guidance and advice with my restoration. While I am no stranger to "basket case" boats, I must admit, I am
intimidated by fiberglass. Please bear with me, as I embark on what could be a very long, and potentially painful restoration.
We'll be talking soon.

Here are a few pics of the boat:

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums/q583/mcdurren/

Best,
Chad Durren

Edit comment:
Photos restored

Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 19th, 2015, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim
Jim

March 28th, 2012, 4:40 am #2

Hello Chad, I am also a newbie on here but can tell you there are a bunch of great people on here that will help you with lots of great info. I just also got a project and they have helped me already. Welcome to the site. Jim

March 28th, 2012, 11:41 am #3

Looks like a nice original Commander in Blazer Blue. You scored well my friend.

Paul
Paul

March 28th, 2012, 1:03 pm #4

Hi Chad, and yes I see you have already been welcomed aboard, so........drumroll please......"WELCOME ABOARD" !

One of the things we enjoy here is the "photo intensive" format, which allows images by the thousands to be posted easily, and I looked at your link and posted your photos here to show off your boat and to show you how it works. Under your thumbnail images in your p-bucket album, if you put your mouse on an image you will see 4 choices appear below, they are:

Email & IM
Direct Link *------------- (this is the one you copy and paste)
HTML Code
IMG code

On this particular forum, just copy the Direct Link code and paste it into your text, and images will appear like below. Yes it is very cool, fun, and THE BEST way of sharing information about your project.

The 327Q by the way, is a great running small block, my parents have a 31 Commander Sedan with a pair of them and the boat is fast enough to water ski behind.

There is no need to be fearing fiberglass, you will learn to love it eventually, as the reapair ability is so strong and easy, just about ANYTHING can be fixed. We have has some pretty awesome restorations here on THE FORUM, and Mike Watson's is on the top of the scale when it comes to the 19' Commander.

Looks like you got yourself an Ohio boat, looks to be very much in the restorable category, as we have seen some projects that are light years worse that have come back to look good.

Regards,

Paul
forum moderator

Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 19th, 2015, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

March 28th, 2012, 1:19 pm #5

We have a bit of research we can share on this boat, the following is just the tip of the iceberg!

regards,

Paul

The following copyrighted material is from my RESTORATION book, exclusive to
The Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc., for personal use only.

Enjoy !

Now if you are not intimidated with fiberglass, I guess you should be and if so I am sorry if I had anything to do about it. However, it is not fiberglass that is the intimidating factor, it is Mike Watson. Mike just took this project to the stars....when many of us including myself would have been perfectly happy to avoid many of the steps he took. On his project it was more of a perfectionist's obsession, as you can see from the images. Many fiberglass boats, actually MOST fiberglass runabouts and cruisers as well, will never need all the work Mike put into his. In fact, Chris Craft would have never made a thin dime on each Commander they built if they put half the time into the manufacturing process Mike put into his restoration. For a production boat, CC did a fine job but not a "perfect" job.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 19th, 2015, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chad Durren
Chad Durren

March 28th, 2012, 3:06 pm #6

Here's the bonus... Mike Watson lives only minutes from my boat. We met on the day I dragged it home. He is sharing his knowledge with me.

Now... if I could only talk him into taking on another project.

Chad

Chad Durren
Chad Durren

March 28th, 2012, 4:27 pm #7

I need to fill the void with a new universal joint, drive angle housing, and V drive. One that mounts between the steel brackets seen in the photo below.

Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 20th, 2015, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

March 28th, 2012, 5:13 pm #8

Chad,

Finding that piece of hardware is going to take some hunting, but with patience I think you will find what you are looking for, but it may take a while.

I do not know for sure how many other models acutually got that particular v-drive system for the small block motor, and whether or not it was the same unit used on tghe 23' Commander that also uses the v-drive system. Chris Craft did not use a v-drive system on too many boats, however, they did use them on houseboats, the 37 Corvette, and a very few boats out of the Corsair Sport Divisiion like the 19' and 23' hulls noted.

Anyone know if the v-drive unit on the 19 and 23 Commanders were the same unit, and also, did the 427 Commander use the same or different unit?

We can put the word out on this, SOMEONE will know where you can find one. The best source of info will be from the guys who already have these mechanicals, including Mike Watson, Bill Policastro, Wes Stinson, Mike Obrien, and others may be able to help.

regards,

Paul

Jerry
Jerry

March 28th, 2012, 5:23 pm #9

Paul, Chad and All:
I have a matched pair of the v drives still on the small block engines (if I remember correctly, or else they are on a pair of 454's, I would have to look.) that I took off a Welcraft that developed a transom problem. Call me at 703 441 6404 if you are interested.
Jerry

Jerry
Jerry

March 28th, 2012, 5:26 pm #10

Paul, Chad and All:
Chad check out this site. I just looked at it.

http://www.v-driveboats.com/

They may could lead you to someone who could help.
Jerry