Found another rare 24 Lancer for sale

Found another rare 24 Lancer for sale

October 27th, 2011, 12:36 am #1

These are hard to find mostly because people don't know what they are as you can tell by the description. Its a Lancer 240I. I did find documented proof that this boat is a lancer recently. There is one for sale locally that isn't too bad. This would be a monster in the chop. Last of the breed. Not as classic as other Lancers but these are 30 years old already.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/boa/2629046933.html

October 27th, 2011, 1:23 am #2

These were a strange bridge to the newer style of boats. If you compare specs to the Catalina 25 Express, the Lancer was shorter and narrower but carried twice the fuel!? The draft was also much deeper on the Lancer. As I've stated in previous posts, the layout is a bit funky. The cockpit is more like a runabout or sport boat. Nearly impossible to fish from. It also has two small berths below the helmsman and passenger seat. Great for small kids but not adults. I know, not as glamorous as the beautiful Commanders you all have, but it's part of the lineage.

November 4th, 2011, 10:31 am #3

Anybody got a link to view the interior and cockpit arrangement on this model? I've looked all over...
Can't find it in the "Essential Guide" either.
Thanks.

November 4th, 2011, 11:23 pm #4

Can't find anything either. I will get some pictures this weekend for you of the one for sale at my marina. See if you can visualize this; as you enter the cabin the head is to starboard and the galley to port. There is the prerequisite v-birth forward. There are also two small single births to either side of the steps leading into the cabin. These births extend below the companion and helm seats above which are on raised platforms.
As I looked at the layout, I couldn't imagine adults being able to sleep in these births. I would estimate the distance from mattress to ceiling being less than 24". As much as I love the looks of the 24 Lancer Express, I bought my 76 25' Express Cruiser instead of the Lancer due to the lack of space in the Lancer. There is simply not enough room above or below deck in this boat for me. Fact of the matter is, I'll probably end up with both!

November 5th, 2011, 12:20 am #5

Thanks.
Sounds like the two "upper" berths aren't much more than rectangular tubes.

I suspect Paul would like some pics for the archives too.

Paul
Paul

November 5th, 2011, 12:13 pm #6

Can't find anything either. I will get some pictures this weekend for you of the one for sale at my marina. See if you can visualize this; as you enter the cabin the head is to starboard and the galley to port. There is the prerequisite v-birth forward. There are also two small single births to either side of the steps leading into the cabin. These births extend below the companion and helm seats above which are on raised platforms.
As I looked at the layout, I couldn't imagine adults being able to sleep in these births. I would estimate the distance from mattress to ceiling being less than 24". As much as I love the looks of the 24 Lancer Express, I bought my 76 25' Express Cruiser instead of the Lancer due to the lack of space in the Lancer. There is simply not enough room above or below deck in this boat for me. Fact of the matter is, I'll probably end up with both!
Some of these boats offer sleeping accomodations by exception and not as a routine. It is more like an occasional camping out, rather than a v berth or stateroom intended for regular use. They also offer accomodation for a man, woman, or child to go in and get a rest in the event they need to while out on the water or while beached at a remote location. If someone is looking for more of a regular venue or just more room then they need to move up the scale to the larger boats. A v-berth by definition is not a stateroom, and even on the 38 Express it is a rather confining situation but hey, you can stretch out and get some sleep, and then in the morning guess where you are????
YOU'RE ON THE BOAT!!

The thing I like about the 38 is the fact that you can walk into the V-berth standing up and close the door. Then you have to hop up onto the sleeping area. Interesting thing about the 38 Express too, is the fact that once you are inside the v-berth, you have a dedicated closet and another door directly to the head!!

Of course along with these features comes another 15,000 pounds of hull and mechanicals, and it is a rather tough job trailering a 38!

Regards,

Paul

November 7th, 2011, 12:38 am #7

Anybody got a link to view the interior and cockpit arrangement on this model? I've looked all over...
Can't find it in the "Essential Guide" either.
Thanks.
I took some pictures of the 24 Lancer for sale today. I have to say, the more I look at this boat the more I like it. As you can see, it's a very deep hulled day cruiser. This one has a 350 but in my humble opinion it's a prime candidate for a 454:)

November 7th, 2011, 10:44 am #8

Craig,
Thanks for posting those pix. I was really curious how they did the interior arrangement.
My 1968 23' Lancer Express has an unusual interior arrangement that is largely taken up by two large berths. For all practical purposes, the bow area is closed off except for the small area where the optional head would be put. The rest of the bow space (over 7 feet of it) is just storage.
I guess if you wanted to carry a few thousand feet of anchor line, it is a great arrangement!
The 24' looks like a lot more efficient use of space for only a foot of additional length.
Its also interesting that they added 13 inches of length but left the beam at 8 feet. This makes it easy to trailer up here. They also added 1000 lbs of displacement and an inch of draft. That's a significant change from the 4000 lbs displacement of the 23 Express.
It would be interesting to drive a 23 and a 24 in blue water and see how they compare. I'll bet they are pretty different boats.

After trying to sell my 23' Lancer Express through a couple of different avenues, its clear that no one wants her. so it leaves me with a tough decision on what to do with her. At the moment, she's covered with snow, so that can wait until Spring.

Did you drive up and see the 24 for sale in Vermont? If you look at the actual location of the marina where she's kept, its within spitting distance of the Canadian line.

craig
craig

November 7th, 2011, 12:16 pm #9

Never drove to Vermont. I would love to see your boat but I have not made the trek north as I thought I would have by now. The 23 Express is a really rare boat worthy of a full restoration.
To me, the interesting comparison is the 24 Lancer to the 25 Express Cruiser due to the fact that they were both in production at the same time. One foot of difference but two completely different boats. I cannot emphasize how deep the 24' is standing under her bow. This is a deeeeep v!

May 3rd, 2012, 10:13 am #10

I was googling any info on my lancer and came across this post! Hopefully you all don't mind me sharing my boat!

I've had it for nearly 10 years now, I've only seen one other one in mornroe mi, I am in toledo ohio. These pictures are great!! Takes me back to when I first got it!

The cabin is roomy, everyone is surprised! The two aft cabins sleep pretty decent... they are longer than a queen bed! I only wish the boat had more places for storage, but I put plastic dressers in the one aft cabin.