Fish are bitin' south of the border!

Fish are bitin' south of the border!

February 12th, 2009, 12:53 am #1

I just got back from a winter retreat to Cabo to warm my bones and I didn't see many Chris Crafts in the harbor. Mostly warm water sport fishers like cabo yachts and tiara's but I did see quite a few gorgeous boats.

Actually the only Chris Craft I saw in the marina was a 36' Sport fisher like mine but it was highly modified with a sliding glass door (probably from Home Depot) on the back of the cabin with other mods that may have served a purpose but were not very flattering... I didn't even have the heart to take a picture.

Anyway I did procure this fine vessel and crew for a half day of fishing:
(Its got a single detroit diesel that shakes the fighting chairs like a massage chair)

I managed to catch a nice dorado (mahi mahi) and 2 marlin!

As an added bonus there are more whales then you could shake a stick at down there this time of year!!

Jim
74 36' SF
"Giggity"
Seattle

Paul
Paul

February 12th, 2009, 12:28 pm #2

Some people just know how to live! A trip like that sure would help break up the ice jam of the winter season, good for you, way to go! Great photos too! Too bad you didn't see one of those big 45' Chris Craft Tournament Fismerman models sitting there in the harbor, in pristine condition, making everyone do a doubletake, showing everyone what a fishing machine is supposed to look like.

regards,

Paul

February 12th, 2009, 8:26 pm #3

It's about 800 NM from Long Beach to Cabo with not many fuel stops along the way. After San Diego, there is one in Ensanada, and others in Turtle Bay and Mag Bay "sometimes." I know of one 1980's Chris Craft 42 TF out of Santa Barbara that has made the journey a few times. He told me he runs non-stop at 6 knots with blatter tanks. Going down, you have a trailing sea. Comming back,(uphill) you are hitting head swells all the way. I have thought about making the trip on my 45TF. The boat is up to it. The captain on the other hand, well???

John Austin
45TF

James Brunette
James Brunette

February 12th, 2009, 10:23 pm #4

John,

If you have the boat and the wherewithall to do it, that would be something that few would ever experience.

JB

February 13th, 2009, 12:34 am #5

It's about 800 NM from Long Beach to Cabo with not many fuel stops along the way. After San Diego, there is one in Ensanada, and others in Turtle Bay and Mag Bay "sometimes." I know of one 1980's Chris Craft 42 TF out of Santa Barbara that has made the journey a few times. He told me he runs non-stop at 6 knots with blatter tanks. Going down, you have a trailing sea. Comming back,(uphill) you are hitting head swells all the way. I have thought about making the trip on my 45TF. The boat is up to it. The captain on the other hand, well???

John Austin
45TF
Here is an article from Power Cruising about FUBAR (Fleet Underway to BAja Rally), a 917-mile flotilla voyage down Mexico's Baja peninsula and into the Sea of Cortez.

http://www.powercruisingmag.com/article ... 1000058210

On the flight back home to Seattle my nose was glued to the airplane window scoping the shoreline and islands out... dreaming of such an adventure.

JOHN: If you need a deckhand just let me know!
Jim

February 13th, 2009, 7:06 pm #6

Hi Jim,

It would be great to have a fellow commandero along. I checked out the Fubar Rally. It's a good way to go. I was especially impressed with the Skip Jack, 1,600 + NM in a 28' boat! Also, there was one large Chris Craft 48. (see picture) These boats were equiped with 8V92TA's with a minimum of 550 HP, some later models even more than that. The one at anchor, is the one that went to Cabo. The other shows one on the move. Note that this is a 48' boat weighted down with water toys on the bow. Still she is moving along. By the way congrats on the marlin.

John Austin

?t=1234551810

?t=1234551883

February 13th, 2009, 11:31 pm #7

Wow John,

I just now saw the photos, very impressive, especially that one with the big 48 making a wake! I have a feeling that you would not have a difficult time getting a crew of Commander owners together to make a run to Mexico. Just let us know how many you need or want!

Regards,

Paul

February 14th, 2009, 8:59 pm #8

I just got back from a winter retreat to Cabo to warm my bones and I didn't see many Chris Crafts in the harbor. Mostly warm water sport fishers like cabo yachts and tiara's but I did see quite a few gorgeous boats.

Actually the only Chris Craft I saw in the marina was a 36' Sport fisher like mine but it was highly modified with a sliding glass door (probably from Home Depot) on the back of the cabin with other mods that may have served a purpose but were not very flattering... I didn't even have the heart to take a picture.

Anyway I did procure this fine vessel and crew for a half day of fishing:
(Its got a single detroit diesel that shakes the fighting chairs like a massage chair)

I managed to catch a nice dorado (mahi mahi) and 2 marlin!

As an added bonus there are more whales then you could shake a stick at down there this time of year!!

Jim
74 36' SF
"Giggity"
Seattle

Nice vacation spot too, especially this time of year.

Anything north of Alabama, you are almost guilty of rubbing it in, lol. As for John and his crew, I think there would be enough volunteers to overload the boat and cause it to get poor fuel consumption, especially seeing the fish photo, ha.

Howard

howard at howardechols@hotmail.com