Fiberglass BLAST-from-the-PAST ( 1966 Correct Craft Mustang )

Fiberglass BLAST-from-the-PAST ( 1966 Correct Craft Mustang )

Paul
Paul

November 9th, 2010, 9:45 pm #1

I tend to forget about Correct Craft but they always made boats that had some eye appeal to them, and I most certainly remember standing in a showroom overlooking Conneaut Lake at Reiman Marine, looking at this exact boat (trying not to drool). I had no money at the time, but this was one hot looking boat to me at the time. There were no Chris Crafts being sold there at the time, at least not where I could see them. Many were sold in the past but nothing in the showroom at the time except this MUSTANG ! Thsi one has the 260 cubic inch Ford small block.

Here is another one, showing how small these boats were. A blip on the fiberglass radar screen of the 1960s, and the Chris Craft products looked better, were undboutedly better built too.

Here is the Baracuda model, I'm suprised they didn't have one called the Camaro too

Mustang 16'
Baracuda 17'

Eventually this brand morphed into the Ski Nautique brand, and they kept their classic look for a long time. They eventually fell to the whim on the designers pad, and assumed the look of the Australian Moomba

Chris Craft, by the way, was in this market too, with an almost look alike Super Sport. We don't see many but Mike O'Brien has one along side his 23 Commander, and I suspect it is a heck-of-a lot easier to do a water ski slide turn in that boat than in his deep V Commander!

Regards,
Paul

Paul
Paul

November 9th, 2010, 9:57 pm #2

Chris Craft had a very fine Super Sport, mahogany, and their ski boat line had not really taken hold yet. Correct Craft was out there on the bow wave, soon to be eclipsed by Chris Craft, but CC never really seemed to offer a ski boat directly competitive with the Correct Craft until later, and you can see below the 1979 CC SS is a moderate V design and not flat like the Correct Craft or classic ski formula.

Here is Mike Obrien's 1979 SS
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... HOTOS++%21

regards,

Paul

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

November 10th, 2010, 8:52 pm #3

This one is a 1973 model

Here is a 1970

Dave

Steve
Steve

November 11th, 2010, 5:52 pm #4

Paul,
I'm an old Mastercraft fan from way back, I've owned this one since new in '85. Pro-Star 19 w/ 351 Ford with a top end of only 48 but it will pull a house skiing without much effort and it handles as if it were on slotted track. These older ski boats were built & propped to track straight and hold their speed with no matter what it was pulling or which direction it was being pulled. Its currently in my garage waiting for some engine sprucing up this winter.

Steve
BRZGRL

Paul
Paul

November 11th, 2010, 6:02 pm #5

That boat follows the classic slab-side ski boat formula many were using "back then", you can see it in so many of the Correct Craft, Century, and Chris Craft boats too. I always liked this model, it is a crisp-edged style, truthful, and good value. With a 351 no doubt it has plenty of power too. The were purpose-built to do one thing better than anyone else, and that is water skiing. Minimal wake, and able to do a slide turns like no V-bottom could.

Cool boat.

Paul

Kevin
Kevin

November 11th, 2010, 7:17 pm #6

Ah, the memories. We also had these types of ski boats growing up. Our first ski behind a star sided Master Craft got us hooked! What power and small wake.

We purchased a Ski Supreme, then another, then three different Supra's. The Supra was my favorite, great lines and quality construction. Zero wood in the boat. In fact, one of the legends of Chris Craft and wooden boats (one of the founders of the Chris Craft Antique Club, and strong supporter of ACBS) Charlie Cross consulted with Supra to ensure that the boat was top quality and not rot.

These boats came with Ford engines; however, my father worked for GM, so he had them put Chevy engines in. For those of you who know, Chevy has the starter mounted low, which allowed water to get into it and ruin it. The Ford mounted it higher. We went through starters every year, on every boat. On the last one, my dad left the Ford engine in, and it was trouble free

We pulled up 18 skiers with the Ski Supreme one summer. It was not easy to do, and we cooked the engine doing it, but it was done! The engine ran afterwards, just not as well...

Those were the days, skiing all day, every day. I would even come home from work at lunch, put on a dry suit over my nice work cloths, and go ski.

My 1948 22 ft CC Sportsman skies very well also. The pull is the same, the wake is the same, even the ski pole is from a Master Craft. But the view of the Mahogany transom is priceless!!!

Kevin

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

November 11th, 2010, 8:06 pm #7

That boat follows the classic slab-side ski boat formula many were using "back then", you can see it in so many of the Correct Craft, Century, and Chris Craft boats too. I always liked this model, it is a crisp-edged style, truthful, and good value. With a 351 no doubt it has plenty of power too. The were purpose-built to do one thing better than anyone else, and that is water skiing. Minimal wake, and able to do a slide turns like no V-bottom could.

Cool boat.

Paul
How many of you guys remember Buehler Turbocraft? These were a bit different. In about 1962 I got to ride in a 19 footer with Eddie Coller who's dad owned Jerry's Marina on Tawas Point near East Tawas Michigan on Lk Huron for about 40yrs. It was the first jet boat I had ever seen and it had an RB383 Chrysler marine conversion in it for power. It would do almost 60 wide open. We used to take it out in the evenings to chase down delinquent 14ft Lonestar rental fishing boats that belonged to the marina. Eddie liked it because we could go blasting right up to a boat in shalow water and hook on to it and be gone in 60 seconds or less. You could really get the Lonestars dancing at 40 or so LOL...

Very interesting history of mfg, callback of a boat ordered by Kruschev and even some James Bond boat history here...

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Buehler_Turbocraft

Dave

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

November 11th, 2010, 8:13 pm #8

Not to diminsh the Commander's site as it has best info for fiberglass Chris Craft boats but this site has the most massive list of fiberglass makers I've ever seen and each name has some historical writeup, pictures or both linked to it...

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Main_Page

Paul
Paul

November 11th, 2010, 9:21 pm #9

I agree with you Dave, it is a fabulous resource.

I have looked through it in the past, and have used the info to identify some rare boats.

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

November 12th, 2010, 6:38 pm #10

Paul,
I'm an old Mastercraft fan from way back, I've owned this one since new in '85. Pro-Star 19 w/ 351 Ford with a top end of only 48 but it will pull a house skiing without much effort and it handles as if it were on slotted track. These older ski boats were built & propped to track straight and hold their speed with no matter what it was pulling or which direction it was being pulled. Its currently in my garage waiting for some engine sprucing up this winter.

Steve
BRZGRL
Popular guy.....could it have been the boat?