FE distributor upgrade?

FE distributor upgrade?

March 17th, 2012, 11:44 pm #1

Anyone swapped out the original big dog distributors for some modern plug n play units?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-D133811

I added pertronix modules a few years ago but suspect my mechanical advance is sticking or not working as it should and am wondering if swapping out for a new pair would be the way to go. I figure adding some fresh 1409s, valve adjustment, oil, and plugs will start the season out right.

Snowy and sunny in Seattle,

Jim
74 36' TF
69 19' SS

Paul
Paul

March 18th, 2012, 12:53 am #2

I have not found any the USCG would like.

Paul

iPhone

Glenn
Glenn

March 18th, 2012, 1:12 am #3

Jim, Paul and all,

What is the differenc?

Glenn

March 18th, 2012, 2:05 pm #4

Anyone swapped out the original big dog distributors for some modern plug n play units?

I added pertronix modules a few years ago but suspect my mechanical advance is sticking or not working as it should and am wondering if swapping out for a new pair would be the way to go. I figure adding some fresh 1409s, valve adjustment, oil, and plugs will start the season out right.

Jim
74 36' TF
69 19' SS
Check out Performance Distributors.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/
I've had a set on my 427s for 20 years, working flawlessly. USCG certified too.

March 18th, 2012, 8:23 pm #5

Jim
74 36' TF
69 19' SS

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-YLM567EV/

I found this one which has the magic word "marine" in the description but it appears to be for Ford 385 series motors like the 429 and 460 but not sure if it would work for FE series.

I have also been pursuing the other option of having my original units with the pertronix modules gone through but can't seem to find any local shops that do this kind of work or have a distributor machine. Seems its becoming a lost art like alchemy and witchcraft.

I sure would sleep better at night knowing I had a couple nice tight magnetic pickup billet marine units feeding electrons to my big dogs.

Paul: Any idea what the Coast Guard is looking for here?

Jim

March 19th, 2012, 5:59 am #6

Jim,

Perhaps you have considered this, but you can have Mallory overhaul your original distributors. I also was concerned about the mechanical advance and had them do one of mine for about $150. Lead time was about 4-5 weeks. While they were at it, they also upgraded my original 1967 equipment by adding proper spark protection to the vent hole and swapped out the automotive style cap clips with the screw down type holders.

Keith

March 20th, 2012, 5:52 am #7

Thanks for sharing it Keith!!
Jim

Glenn
Glenn

March 22nd, 2012, 12:30 pm #8

Jim and all,

I contacted Performance Distributors and here is there reply.

We can build the Marine DUI distributors for your Ford 427 ci engines. The Marine version is $400.00 for each unit. If the clockwise engine requires a reverse rotation gear, then there will be an additional charge of $75.00 for the special gear. The part number for the distributor is M33820. Thank you.

PERFORMANCE DISTRIBUTORS
2699 BARRIS DRIVE
MEMPHIS, TN 38132
901-396-5782
www.performancedistributors.com

Glenn

Paul
Paul

March 22nd, 2012, 1:35 pm #9

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-YLM567EV/

I found this one which has the magic word "marine" in the description but it appears to be for Ford 385 series motors like the 429 and 460 but not sure if it would work for FE series.

I have also been pursuing the other option of having my original units with the pertronix modules gone through but can't seem to find any local shops that do this kind of work or have a distributor machine. Seems its becoming a lost art like alchemy and witchcraft.

I sure would sleep better at night knowing I had a couple nice tight magnetic pickup billet marine units feeding electrons to my big dogs.

Paul: Any idea what the Coast Guard is looking for here?

Jim
I like the concept, but the stem, seals, and gears won't work with the FE big dogs. That distributor is for an entirely differet motor family and era.

Paul

Paul
Paul

March 22nd, 2012, 1:39 pm #10

Jim and all,

I contacted Performance Distributors and here is there reply.

We can build the Marine DUI distributors for your Ford 427 ci engines. The Marine version is $400.00 for each unit. If the clockwise engine requires a reverse rotation gear, then there will be an additional charge of $75.00 for the special gear. The part number for the distributor is M33820. Thank you.

PERFORMANCE DISTRIBUTORS
2699 BARRIS DRIVE
MEMPHIS, TN 38132
901-396-5782
www.performancedistributors.com

Glenn
I suppose we could take the bottom end with the gear, stem, shaft length, and the seals, and rebuilt the top part with just about any other marine rated component and still conform to USCG regs, as long as the case was properly vented with flame arrestor.

Interesting find Glenn. You know, if they would start advertizing this I'll bet there are a heck of a lot of FE motors out there both in Chris Craft, Hatteras, Correct Craft, Trojan, and Century boats, along with others I've left out, who would be interested.

regards,

Paul