Coming back to life with new jewelry

Coming back to life with new jewelry

July 30th, 2012, 1:42 pm #1

Just got the new rub rail installed. More of a project than I expected. I ordered it from pier supply and it's a near exact match to the original. Rubber trim isn't solid like the original but it will do. Original lancer badge cleaned up and re-installed. Starting to look like a boat again. Because the new trim was pre drilled with different spacing than the original, every rivet had to be re drilled.

When I cleaned the emblem up I painted the letters white to make them stand out a bit more. Not sure if I like it yet.

Paul
Paul

July 30th, 2012, 2:15 pm #2

My rub rail too a rubbing over the years, it was hit so hard it actually spidered the gelcoat behind it on a few locatins, just love taps to a Lancer, however, as those are pretty easy to grind out and fill. My entire topside will need to be painted and I am 50/50 on the hullside. We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime I will be replacing my rub rail and yours looks good and appears to be work well. Let me know what ID number you used and I will look if up and doublecheck things. It is probably a good thing to have to redrill all the fittings anyway, as I suspect some were hogged out over time? Oh well no big deal.

Here's what mine looks like now.............not a pretty sight, but fixable.

One word about vinyl, well two words: "it shrinks". Being able to pull it out and replace it with a new inner piece would be nice, and of course if it is actually rubber that would be best.

Regards'

Paul

July 30th, 2012, 2:36 pm #3

Prices as of last year. They have gone up a bit since then.
PS12-10-1590 Alum Rub Rail, Anod., Drilled 1-1/4" x 1/2"x12' A11-0317TAL12D5 39.99 199.95T
PS12-10-1451 Flex Vinyl Insert 15/16 x 50' Black, Retail Pkgd V12-0317BKA50-11 44.99 44.99T
1 Freight Carrier Ship Freight Carrier 130.00 130.00

grand total for me was $374 including truck freight to CT. Good news Paul. Pier Supply is in Sparta TN.
The rub rail is a Taco product. Pier supply was the cheapest place I could find. Nice folks. They will cut the pieces shorter so you can avoid freight shipping but I wanted 12' lengths as were original from CC. After fighting to align the joints the way I did I'm glad I did.

http://piersupply.com/Aluminum-Rub-Rail