Paul
Paul

December 16th, 2005, 10:20 pm #1

Here is a shameless plug
for
Classic Boating Magazine.

Jim and Norm are personal friends of mine, they produce a fantastic magazine,
and they've been kind enough to invite me back for a second and third year
to drive the photo boat at the Mt. Dora Boat Show.

Ever wonder how they get those fantastic photos you see in the magazine?
It's a combination of skill, great equipment, and a cough, cough, world class photo-boat driver, lol.
In all seriousness, they "work" hard to get these shots, and publications with this quality of photography and printing just don't happen!

Here are a couple photos of the Wangard's in action.
I took these photos with an inferior camera, just for fun.
You may recognize some of these boats in their publications, and the images are superb.

The work begins the previous day when Norm and Jim walk the grounds and select good candidates for a photo shoot,
and schedule boats to come by a given point on ten minute intervals. Only special boats are selected for their publication,
and they appreciate it if drivers are wearing period clothing that doesn't conflict with the boat.

For instance, if the driver shows up in a bright orange hunting vest,
his chances of making it to the publication are pretty slim to none. This goes for passengers too.
It also goes for any accessories, such as milk crates filled with cans of carb cleaner, oil, etc.,
because those kinds of things just spoil an otherwise good photo.

Then comes the alignment with the sunlight based on the given time of day, and finally the expert experienced
eye will follow the oncoming boat until conditions are just right, and a moment in time is frozen for readers to enjoy all over the world. It was such a pleasure to see these two photo journalists and publishers work together,
and I'm really looking forward to that next show at Mt. Dora!

Regards, Paul

The easiest way to get a subscription to Classic Boating Magazine,
is to call the number below
(262)-567-4800

Their mailing address is:

280 Lac La Belle Drive
Oconomowoc, WI 53066

It's a family owned business, they're easy to deal with.
Real people!

Last edited by FEfinaticP on February 10th, 2009, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 17th, 2005, 4:25 pm #2

It is the top of the food chain, for classic boating.

Charlie
Cape Vincent, NY

EH
EH

December 23rd, 2005, 3:12 pm #3

Here is a shameless plug
for

It's a combination of skill, great equipment, and a cough, cough, world class photo-boat driver, lol.
In all seriousness, they "work" hard to get these shots, and publications with this quality of photography and printing just don't happen!

You may recognize some of these boats in their publications, and the images are superb.

The work begins the previous day when Norm and Jim walk the grounds and select good candidates for a photo shoot,
and schedule boats to come by a given point on ten minute intervals. Only special boats are selected for their publication,
and they appreciate it if drivers are wearing period clothing that doesn't conflict with the boat.

his chances of making it to the publication are pretty slim to none. This goes for passengers too.
It also goes for any accessories, such as milk crates filled with cans of carb cleaner, oil, etc.,

Then comes the alignment with the sunlight based on the given time of day, and finally the expert experienced
eye will follow the oncoming boat until conditions are just right, and a moment in time is frozen for readers to enjoy all over the world. It was such a pleasure to see these two photo journalists and publishers work together,

Regards, Paul

(262)-567-4800

280 Lac La Belle Drive
Oconomowoc, WI 53066

Real people!

I think those guys do a marvelous job, by the way. Their work speaks volumes and volumes for itself. Any boating enthusiast, wood, metal, or glass, would do well to subscribe to this magazine, even if they don't have a boat.

Ernie

January 19th, 2007, 6:06 pm #4

Here is a shameless plug
for

Regards, Paul

(262)-567-4800

280 Lac La Belle Drive
Oconomowoc, WI 53066

Real people!

I've seen some boats with the pre-war penants, and although they look good, they're not really supposed to be on the classic fiberglass boats. Here's a guide if you're looking for a penant to finish off your project.

A note about pricing. I have a Jan-Feb 1996 edition in my office (issue #69) because my 35' Sea Skiff was featured in that edition. The penants in this issue are listed at $34.50. It's pretty obvious Jim and Norm are holding prices in line if they're able to sell these 11 years later with an upcharge of two bucks!

If you want a nice surprise arriving at your house in the mail, subscribe to this magazine. 262-567-4800

The photography is second to none, and the articles are always of interest to any boater, wood, fiberglass, or metal !

edit comment: Image above was added (old one that was dated, and was replaced with this current one) in order to more accurately describe the quality of the products. It was apparant that the old image was not clear about the present day specifications, since it was from a ten year old magazine.

Regards, Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 26th, 2007, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

January 19th, 2007, 8:36 pm #5

Here is a shameless plug
for

Regards, Paul

(262)-567-4800

280 Lac La Belle Drive
Oconomowoc, WI 53066

Real people!

Here is Norm Wangard (left) and your Chris Craft Commander Forum host (right) on the docks at the Mt. Dora Boat Show, of 2006.
The Wangard family has published the premier vintage boating magazine for many years, and the photography in this publication
is second to none! I first met Norm back in 1984 at Joe Wheeler State Park Resort, in Northern Alabama, during a rendezvous I
had coordinated as a charter member of the DIXIELAND CHAPTER of ACBS. Norm noted the Southern Hospitality, and the fact that
"nobody was ever left standing on the docks" when our fleet left for their signature run.

Here is your forum host (left), Jim Wangard (center) and Norm Wangard (right) aboard a spanking new Rinker that your forum host
captained during the 2006 Mt. Dora Classic Boating photo shoot. You just don't get an opportunity like this any old time, to spend
a day with a couple classy guys like this, on the water, with scores of vintage boats doing close-in flybys!! For an antique and
classic boating guy, a Rinker is not my favorite selection, but hey, it worked and we had fun.

Yes, indeed, these Wangard guys are brave men allright, because I've been invited to drive the photo boat again this year
(for the third year in a row). The words on my hat, by the way, read: "TOP SPEED" . I recommend all classic boat fans get
on the mailing list to this publication. Even if you are a fiberglass guy, this magazine features all kinds of boats, wood, glass,
metal, and it will keep you in touch with your boating roots.

Regards, Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on December 1st, 2011, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.