Carb problems

Carb problems

B Murray
B Murray

August 6th, 2007, 2:39 pm #1

Hey guys,

I have been having gas consumption issues with my port engine. It seems to be using a 1/3 or more gas then the other. I figured I would rebuild the carb. I dont know much about them, though I did get the carter carb book.

I found two numbers on it C4A-6117 and 61947. Can anyone tell me which number is the model number or what either one details. Also I am looking for the rebuild kit number. And lastly any other info or hints on the carb and rebuilding it?

Thanks

Bill

Tim
Tim

August 6th, 2007, 8:03 pm #2

Bill,
You can call Ron at Daytona / Carter parts ,386-427-7108 for " ALL "the info and stuff you need for your Carter carbs .
c4a= Carter , 4 barrel, Aluminum
6117= Carter AVS / Chris Craft
Tim
Sandusky , Oh

Paul
Paul

August 7th, 2007, 10:45 am #3

Hi Tim,

I'm still scratching my head about how in the heck you can tune your motors so they start like that, sheesh, pretty awesome. Many thanks for the experience, that's just darn good clean fun.

Now back to the carb issues.......

Here is a link to Mark Weller's site, regarding the AVS specs. Hope this helps

http://apyc.org/ChrisCraft/CarterAVS.pdf

regards,

Paul

B Murray
B Murray

August 10th, 2007, 7:07 pm #4

Hey guys,

I have been having gas consumption issues with my port engine. It seems to be using a 1/3 or more gas then the other. I figured I would rebuild the carb. I dont know much about them, though I did get the carter carb book.

I found two numbers on it C4A-6117 and 61947. Can anyone tell me which number is the model number or what either one details. Also I am looking for the rebuild kit number. And lastly any other info or hints on the carb and rebuilding it?

Thanks

Bill
Well I got the carb rebuilt last night. Lot easier then I thought. Also understand how it works much better now then just reading about it. Now to put it on tonight and start suuper tuning the engine! Hope to see big difference.

Sunset eating dinner on the river last weekend.

Have a great weekend.

Bill

Roy
Roy

August 10th, 2007, 7:14 pm #5

Looks like you went through them allright, hope they work well. The biggest difficulty I have had with carbs is getting the floats set properly. Hope you did a better job than I did.

A little bench time like this now and then will do wonders for the way your boat starts and runs.

Roy

EH
EH

August 10th, 2007, 7:37 pm #6

From a post about a year ago!

Ford Carter AFB
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1157561887

Chevrolet Carter AFB
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... vrolet+AFB

Carter AVS
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... Carter+AVS

YEah, its time to put down some newspapers and get the carb cleaner out. I agree it's a small investment in time that can produce big payback.

Ernie

B Murray
B Murray

August 13th, 2007, 3:19 pm #7

Hey guys,

Thanks

Bill
Well things did not go as well as I had hoped. Carb is on and engine started but gas was almost pouring out of the brass tube (jets) in the booster venturis. I could not figure how to control that as it should be all vaporized and not seeing any liquid gas, right?

I think it would be controlled by the metering rods but am not sure. I thought I was understanding these carbs better but now I am stumped. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill

August 13th, 2007, 5:11 pm #8

Float level wrong or improperly installed needle/seat. You did invert the carb to set the float level?? Gasket under the seat?

B Murray
B Murray

August 13th, 2007, 6:43 pm #9

I set the float level inverted with gasket to 11/64 and the float drop to 23/32 using a twist drill as a gauge.

the needle and seat just screw in. Then slip in the needle and install the float right? Don't recall any problems installing those.

Should I increase the float level distance to get less gas?

Thanks Bill

Glen
Glen

August 13th, 2007, 6:43 pm #10

Float level wrong or improperly installed needle/seat. You did invert the carb to set the float level?? Gasket under the seat?
Make sure your floats aren't full of gas.

(the voice of experience)