Canadian-built Chris-Craft boats

Canadian-built Chris-Craft boats

Paul
Paul

April 10th, 2013, 4:38 pm #1

Anyone know about Canadian Chris-Craft boats, what models were built, where, when?

We know Chris Craft built boats in Italy, and of course in many places here in the US. The 1966 internal memo I am looking at now lists boats being built in the following plants: Algonac,Michigan; Cadillac, Michigan; Chattanooga, Tennessee; Holland, Michigan; Cortland, New York; Pompano, Florida; Roamer, Michigan; and Salisbury, Maryland; but makes no mention of anything in Canada. We know there were other locations as well, becuase the 1965 listing shows Hayward, California also showing up (27' Futura, 27' Sea Strake, Cavalier Division).

Regards,

Paul

craigjudge
craigjudge

April 10th, 2013, 5:07 pm #2

1969 Chris Craft Futura Cavalier 27 foot on the Avon in Stratford Ontario

This was a publicity stunt for promotional purpose by Chris Craft Industries of Stratford Ontario Canada. The plywood based big-value line of entree level Cavalier model boats were manufactured here at their plant between 1965 to 1970. With the help of a crane this 27 foot cruiser was set into the shallow waters of the Avon River in front of the famous Stratford Shakespearean Festival Theatre in 1969. During Chris-Craft's time in Stratford they manufactured 586 of their Cavalier Crusader Cruisers before a market trend towards ever popular fiberglass boats slowed the sale of these wood based models to completion.
Power was supplied by 283, 327, 283x2, 327x2 cu.in. GM based marine engines.

john kloka
john kloka

April 10th, 2013, 6:12 pm #3

Boating here on the Michigan/Ontario border, I have seen a number of Canadien registered C.C. Crusader models, and it seems to me that they were carvel planked such as a Connie... all with fenders hanging over the sides while running (LOL).

April 10th, 2013, 6:21 pm #4

drumroll please...

I believe the serial numbers all end with "EH?"

Giggity!
Jim
74 36' TF
69 19/ SS
Last edited by 36TFisher on April 12th, 2013, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

April 10th, 2013, 9:51 pm #5

Anyone know about Canadian Chris-Craft boats, what models were built, where, when?

We know Chris Craft built boats in Italy, and of course in many places here in the US. The 1966 internal memo I am looking at now lists boats being built in the following plants: Algonac,Michigan; Cadillac, Michigan; Chattanooga, Tennessee; Holland, Michigan; Cortland, New York; Pompano, Florida; Roamer, Michigan; and Salisbury, Maryland; but makes no mention of anything in Canada. We know there were other locations as well, becuase the 1965 listing shows Hayward, California also showing up (27' Futura, 27' Sea Strake, Cavalier Division).

Regards,

Paul

Regards,

Paul

February 28th, 2018, 9:22 pm #6

Regards,

Paul
I have a 33ft. 1967 Chris Craft Seastrake and it was built in Stratford Ontario, bought by a BC physician and shipped by rail to Vancouver, BC. Lucky us to have this beautiful boat which is 90 per cent re-stored.

I'm currently having my port engine rebuilt and I'm looking for Canadian engine tags if anyone has a Canadian contact? I have the new valve stickers on order but these engine tags may be hard to find. The usual sites in the USA have only U.S. tags.

Safe boating!

Greg