Can you help me find a Paragon PV-3125?

Can you help me find a Paragon PV-3125?

March 7th, 2018, 3:43 pm #1

Hello Friends!
Spring is coming and I'm still stuck with the problem of the engine swap (OMC sterndrive for Original CC with V-Drive)...
Thanks to Jim at Finewoodboats who has found a 350QA with V-Drive.
Unfortunately the V-Drive he has is the wrong ratio (PV32 2:1), I tried to contact many rebuilders and nobody has a PV3125 and nobody wants to or can rebuild the unit Jim has found...

I would be grateful if you can inform me if a unit comes for sale or if you know of one for sale...

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,

Marco

March 7th, 2018, 11:59 pm #2

Hi Marco,
I'm sure you could use the 2:1 reduction if you install a larger pitch/diameter prop than what is otherwise called for. What I'm not sure of is what reason are folks giving for not wanting to overhaul that one?

Craig

March 8th, 2018, 9:25 am #3

Many people I contacted do not have the correct gears to convert it to 1:1 ratio, one rebuilder has them (1 used and 1 new) but when I asked him if he could rebuild the unit he told me that he doesn't want because the unit Jim found does not have an original angle housing so he fears that something has gone wrong in the past...
And by the way he would charge me 800$ for the 2 gears alone...

Marco

MerCrewser
MerCrewser

March 10th, 2018, 1:34 pm #4

Hello Friends!
Spring is coming and I'm still stuck with the problem of the engine swap (OMC sterndrive for Original CC with V-Drive)...
Thanks to Jim at Finewoodboats who has found a 350QA with V-Drive.
Unfortunately the V-Drive he has is the wrong ratio (PV32 2:1), I tried to contact many rebuilders and nobody has a PV3125 and nobody wants to or can rebuild the unit Jim has found...

I would be grateful if you can inform me if a unit comes for sale or if you know of one for sale...

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,

Marco
If it where me, I'd nix the paragon altogether and go with a modern v-drive unit. Especially since you're starting from scratch. The paragons have the u-joint which is a weak point and will eventually break usually distroying the housing. You'll have to lower the flywheel side of the engine a bit because modern v-drives have less of an angle which is a good thing.

March 13th, 2018, 10:48 am #5

I'm a bit depressed currently because it seems that nobody uses V Drives in Italy and there's a lack of knowledge and parts on the market.

Did anybody went the route of a modern V-Drive?

I fear I'll have to go with an outdrive unit...

Have a nice day everybody.

Marco

Chad
Chad

March 14th, 2018, 2:41 am #6

Marco, below are the parts that were left over from my PV3125 rebuild. As I mentioned earlier, I found a pair of complete PV3125 V-Drives (attached to 307 engines) from a '69 Chris Craft Aquahome. I took both to Kalamazoo Gear to be rebuilt. From the two units, I was able to build one. Below are the extra parts. Not sure what I have is of any help.

[/IMG]

March 16th, 2018, 3:18 pm #7

In the meantime I discovered that I could face problems with customs if I decide to import the engine, I have to investigate further but that doesn't sound too promising...
Have a nice day everybody,

Marco