Call me CRAZY!!

Call me CRAZY!!

June 20th, 2012, 6:30 am #1

Its less than 60 days until my wedding and my 69 Super Sport will play a key role as the getaway vehicle after the dockside ceremony.

Well a little snag in my plan:

A cracked block with water in the oil.

I discovered this a few weeks ago when I was getting ready to sea trial the finished Super Sport. The mechanic I bought the complete drivetrain from is onboard and we hashed out a deal to longblock the motor with a really nicely built 350 with "more than enough HP" to get the job done now but here is THE REALLY CRAZY PART: I decided since the motor is out I would strip her down and REPAINT THE ENTIRE BOAT!! Giggity!!

Its now 53 days and ticking until the BIG DAY and I thought "Well I can't paint the boat without taking Mike Watson's hard work and research to heart so I popped off the topdeck, flipped it over in my garage and performed the patented Watson reinforcement techniques plus a few more of my own:

Being a very early Super Sport to be built I noticed my boat was missing some key reinforcements that Mike's boat left from the factory with, especially a rib right in front and behind the engine hatches. This is precisely where I already had a stress crack so I scribed 2 new ribs and glassed them in and did my best to make it look a factory job. I figure its just adding something the factory decided to do anyway and frankly was completely necessary to avoid future cracks. I was real happy with the way it turned out and its really solid now... a huge difference (Thanks for the pics, and conversations Mike!)

When glassing in the front rib I had to ensure the deck maintained a subtle arch to it or the engine hatches would not fit properly. Since the deck was out of the boat and upside down I hung a 5 gallon bucket with sand in it and added more sand until I got the arch I was looking for. I am happy to report the hatches fit perfectly!!

CURRENT STATUS AS OF JUNE 19:
- I reinstalled the top deck and began to prep the hull for paint:

- The old engine is dismantled and the new engine has arrived and is awaiting reassembly

- All the metal is at the chromers:

- I have now begun to sand the entire boat. I just finished the wetted hull today and was amazed at how strong the CC gelcoat is. Its incredible really... I can sand off the 4 layers of antifouling paint and the gelcoat underneath is as flat and solid as it was in 1969. If I sanded it back to 320 then buffed it out it would look as good as new.

Tomorrow I will begin sanding the topsides and gunwales and plan to use the entire Dupont Marine system:
Fairing Compounds -
DuPont 18545S - Epoxy Fairing Compound
DuPont 18550S - Spray Fairing
Undercoat - DuPont Corlar® 18530S - Urethane Primer
Topcoat - DuPont Imron® MS600 Polyurethane Topcoat

DuPont also makes a 2 stage topcoat but I am trying to avoid this with the understanding that the single stage MS600 would be easier to repair than a clearcoat system:
Basecoat - DuPont Imron® MS100 Polyurethane Basecoat
Clear Coat - DuPont Imron® MS1 Polyurethane Clearcoat

I have a detailed project plan with all the known tasks, dependencies and durations to complete this project and optimistically I should be done in mid July (pessimistically August 1)

Call me crazy but hey I incorporated a classic fiberglass Chris Craft into my wedding so at least I have the blessing to work on it!! As a matter of fact its now PRIORITY 1!!

Wish me luck!!

Jim
74 36' TF
69 19' SS

also........here is a link about how all of this started...........
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... collection+!++(+PHOTOS+)

Last edited by FEfinaticP on August 15th, 2012, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Watson
Mike Watson

June 20th, 2012, 11:04 am #2

I did not realize that our conversation would lead you down this slippery slope but in the end it will be best. It is nice to know that I am not the only one with issues. Then again this forum and others have shown me that there are many individuals with the same disease. All the way from 60' to 19'. Unlike the Commanders that came out of the Holland or other big boat plants with consistent quality and standards those that came from Cortand location were constantly changing. Good or bad. Enjoy!

Mike

Jerry
Jerry

June 20th, 2012, 11:25 am #3

Its less than 60 days until my wedding and my 69 Super Sport will play a key role as the getaway vehicle after the dockside ceremony.

I discovered this a few weeks ago when I was getting ready to sea trial the finished Super Sport. The mechanic I bought the complete drivetrain from is onboard and we hashed out a deal to longblock the motor with a really nicely built 350 with "more than enough HP" to get the job done now but here is THE REALLY CRAZY PART: I decided since the motor is out I would strip her down and REPAINT THE ENTIRE BOAT!! Giggity!!

Its now 53 days and ticking until the BIG DAY and I thought "Well I can't paint the boat without taking Mike Watson's hard work and research to heart so I popped off the topdeck, flipped it over in my garage and performed the patented Watson reinforcement techniques plus a few more of my own:

Being a very early Super Sport to be built I noticed my boat was missing some key reinforcements that Mike's boat left from the factory with, especially a rib right in front and behind the engine hatches. This is precisely where I already had a stress crack so I scribed 2 new ribs and glassed them in and did my best to make it look a factory job. I figure its just adding something the factory decided to do anyway and frankly was completely necessary to avoid future cracks. I was real happy with the way it turned out and its really solid now... a huge difference (Thanks for the pics, and conversations Mike!)

When glassing in the front rib I had to ensure the deck maintained a subtle arch to it or the engine hatches would not fit properly. Since the deck was out of the boat and upside down I hung a 5 gallon bucket with sand in it and added more sand until I got the arch I was looking for. I am happy to report the hatches fit perfectly!!

- The old engine is dismantled and the new engine has arrived and is awaiting reassembly

- I have now begun to sand the entire boat. I just finished the wetted hull today and was amazed at how strong the CC gelcoat is. Its incredible really... I can sand off the 4 layers of antifouling paint and the gelcoat underneath is as flat and solid as it was in 1969. If I sanded it back to 320 then buffed it out it would look as good as new.

Tomorrow I will begin sanding the topsides and gunwales and plan to use the entire Dupont Marine system:
Fairing Compounds -

DuPont also makes a 2 stage topcoat but I am trying to avoid this with the understanding that the single stage MS600 would be easier to repair than a clearcoat system:

I have a detailed project plan with all the known tasks, dependencies and durations to complete this project and optimistically I should be done in mid July (pessimistically August 1)

Call me crazy but hey I incorporated a classic fiberglass Chris Craft into my wedding so at least I have the blessing to work on it!! As a matter of fact its now PRIORITY 1!!

Wish me luck!!

Jim
74 36' TF
69 19' SS

Paul, Jim and All:
Jim, you always seem to be doing the right thing! And your work is top notch and well done. I think the payoff is that you are going to be spending more time on the water than in the shop. Keep it up.
Jerry

Paul
Paul

June 20th, 2012, 1:50 pm #4

Fairing Compounds -

Wish me luck!!

Jim
74 36' TF
69 19' SS

Jim,

That is amazing how much you have taken on and resolved. Good looking workmanship too, and just look at all the FUN you are having with friends and admirers! At least your new bride will know what she's subscribing to in the way of boatitis.

Janet and I have seriously considered coming out to the wedding but we are boxed in with lots of other obligations this summer so we'll be sending our best and wishing you all the best.

Regards,

Paul

Chad
Chad

June 20th, 2012, 3:23 pm #5

Looking good! Thanks for paving the way for the rest of us.

Chad
Chad

June 20th, 2012, 4:54 pm #6

Jim, let me know how the re-chrome goes. My vents are pitted heavily like yours. The cost on these pieces can be huge. I'll re-chrome mine if it's affordable. If not, I'll keep shopping for vents that are better re-chrome candidates.

Paul
Paul

June 20th, 2012, 5:46 pm #7

Hi Chad, guys,

It is not rocket science but it is expensive to etch out all the corrosion pits and then flame solder over top, burnish and chrome these old pieces. My Morse control stalk on my 1966 20' fiberglass Sea Skiff is identical to the stalk used on these Commanders and XK boats, was heavily pitted and I was in the process of literally sanding out the stalk carefully when I showed up on Lake Dora at a flea market, spotted a good one in a bin and the guy said "ten bucks". That was about a $150 savings (or more).

Some of the hardware on the Lancers and small Commanders is potmetal and it is getting tough to find this stuff in good condition. I noticed the clamshells in Jim's photo too and wondered about the shop who was going to do this. Seattle is blessed with lots and lots of marine culture, around Lake Union and Washington, and on the salt water side too.

best,

Paul

Paul
Paul

June 20th, 2012, 6:04 pm #8

Fairing Compounds -

Wish me luck!!

Jim
74 36' TF
69 19' SS

I failed to mention this is the #1 boat in the transdrive production run, not too shabby a history there! Here is the discovery link, lots of good photos and tech info for the 19' Commander owner and restorer.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/t ... +Hull+%231

And of course, anyone looking at a restoration of one of these should check out Mike Watson's project too. These are some of the best documented 19' Commander restorations available anywhere.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1295465573

Regards,
Paul

Chad
Chad

June 20th, 2012, 7:17 pm #9

Mike is already on speed dial.

June 22nd, 2012, 6:54 pm #10

Fairing Compounds -

Wish me luck!!

Jim
74 36' TF
69 19' SS

When prepping the shell for paint the dust settled onto the transom making this ghostly image visible:

It must be a remnant from the 1969 New York Boat show as this boat came equipped with the "High Performance" package. The video I have of the show floor does show a white area on the starboard transom that is about the same angle but the detail is obscured by the glare from the overhead lights:

I wish I had some better color photographs from the boat show.

Jim