brass celebs.

brass celebs.

November 18th, 2010, 10:17 pm #1

Check out the latest Brass Bell. Al & KIM's Roamer, JP and Bill on his 23. You are rock stars and Kimberly Ann get's the pub she so rightly deserves. SWEET!!!

Paul
Paul

November 19th, 2010, 5:01 pm #2

I have been anxious to see this in print, it was fun to be there in person and I appreciate being able to share the information in the Brass Bell. Bill Basler is a very talented guy, a friend, and that publication he produces is just fabulous quality. To boot, he¡¦s even restoring a FIBERGLASS CORSAIR too !

Chris, since you are a member of CCABC and received your copy of the Brass Bell, you know all about the organization, but for our readership world-wide who may not know about CCABC ( the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club ), but thanks to Bill Basler who shares a similar outlook to sharing of information, cross linking and general management issues as I do, we have an informal synergy between organizations that I think is great for the Antique and Classic boat movement world-wide. The Forum has for quite some time, had the CCABC link on our front page with a recommendation to join. Perhaps that is where you heard about it first? In any case, here is that link in case people have not already seen it. http://www.chris-craft.org/index.php

The Bay Harbor events, in which the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc., participated in two events this year, were both just spectacular in every way, and they were both very different venues. We tried to fairly present these events in our promotional info here, and THE FORUM was the ONLY place our personal invitations were posted. These events were of a high-end nature, somewhat remote, and were not intended to be big glass events by numbers; just by quality, interest, history, and fun. In that regard, I think they both exceeded their billing.

I hated to miss the Huron Rendezvous this year, but circumstances turned our attention and time toward Northern Michigan and we just couldn't do it all. In fact, I missed Herb Pocklington¡¦s dedication of his Algonac memorial statues because I had already committed to be involved with the Bay Harbor Vintage Car and Boat Show. I really hated to miss that event (too) but it was on the same week-end as Bay Harbor and we just could not swing it. I was able to include Herb¡¦s dedication in the second printing of ¡§The Legacy of the Fiberglass Chris Craft Commander¡¨ to make up for it.

As a result of heading to Michigan this year, we were able to see new territory and spend some quality time with Al and Kimberly and their family, with Bill and his family, we met Erik and his family, met Mike and Sue Watson, we were thrilled to be able to spend some really fine time with Herb Pocklington, Chris Smith, Gerry Van De Vussey, Diana Webb, Tom Flood, Jeff Rogers, Lolly Beezy, Steve and Diane Heitman, gosh the list is a long one, oh and we met Craig Lamm too, which was such a pleasure aboard his 31 SE, and I even got a genuine Cuban cigar. º Not too shabby.

After the event I sent Bill Basler some photos to use in the Brass Bell, he selected the ones he thought were best. I laughed when I saw he included the photo of my rental car from Enterprise, after all there are not too many of those Rolls Royce woodies out there for rent at the Traverse City Airport, this was the only one they had. They made me prick my finger and give a DNA blood sample in order to drive it off the lot (of course you know I'm pulling your leg º ). Darn thing is probably worth the better part of a million bucks, yikes. NOBODY would ever toss those keys to me.

Our Forum members may be pleased to know they saw all of this information here on the official "Chris Craft Commander Forum" as it was happening! Here are the images appearing in the Brass Bell.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but that's Al Langlois aboard the Roamer, and Bill Policastro in the background is aboard GHOST RIDER too. You can also see Mike Watson's beautiful Commander there to the far left of the photo too.

With a single click of the mouse, you can see ALL the photos below, so if you do click, wait a moment for them all to load. You will see what a special place Bay Harbor, Michigan really is! See you all there next year? º Janet and I had such a great time, made so many new friends up there, we are most likely to be back many times. It is a wonderful and beautiful part of the USA !! (The people are nice too).
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1276893358

Regrds,

Best,

Paul

Paul
Paul

November 19th, 2010, 9:58 pm #3

Hi guys,

I spoke with Bill Basler on the phone this morning telling him
what a fabulous job he did on this latest production, and how much I admire
his design layout and exacting eye for incredible printing quality. We had
a couple laughs about some issues, and he said he would send me some high
quality PDF copy of the article so I could post it. Knowing he is on the
road now, I scanned my copy of the Brass Bell for interim use here, and you
will notice the rather compromised quality of the images, etc. due to the
scanner.

And by the way, Bill is restoring a fiberglass Corsair, also featured in this
edition of the BRASS BELL (also featured here on The Forum).

So many boats.....so little time.....but what a way to go!

"Thanks Bill", GREAT JOB !

Regards, best,

Paul

I posted the original photo I took here, right below the printed copy in the Brass Bell.
Yes I know the scanned version is poor by comparison, but if you have an original copy of the
BRASS BELL to compare to this original digital photograph, you will be amazed they could
actually put ink down on paper that well. Bill went into detail as to how this is done
and where, and said they use the best Heidelberg press from Germany, and the results sure
speak for themselves. The magazine is dripping with quality design, layout, and printing
(and the content isn't too bad either, lol).

More on the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club publication, "THE BRASS BELL" can be found here
http://www.chris-craft.org/brassbell.php

If you have not already seen all the photos of the Bay Harbor event, a single click of the mouse here will take you there. Beware, there are a lot of images to load but you'll see it all ! This was our first venture into Northern Michigan like this, yes we've been to Hessel, but this area around Traverse City is very special.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1276893358

Edit comment........Oh one other thing!

You will note the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club has been proudly presented on our front page with The Antique and Classic Boat Society, Inc., along with the following proclimation:
"The Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc., proudly supports the stated missions, and high standards of the not-for-profit organizations noted below;
and recognizes their collaborative management style, allowing cross linking of posts and a free exchange of information between forums and web sites,
which we believe is good for the Chris Craft Commander and classic boating community at large. Anyone interested in antique and/or classic boating should check them out!

This statement has a lot to do about why I am a boating enthusiast to the extent I am. In life there are plenty of opportunities to sink into the world of petty back-biting, politics, negative childish bickering, paranoia, undertow and foolishness that is only too prevalent in this world if you chose to go there. In business we all run into these situations on occasions, sometimes more than we want, and we have to deal with it in business. For our boating hobby, however, it is an opportunity to leave all that baggage behind and I love boating for the goodness and the relief, because of the people I get to associate with. Yes the boats have something to do with it, but it's really the people who make the world go around. If you are reading this, you may be a participant here on the forum who shares information or you may be a silent guest, either way you are part of the goodness that is being spread around because of boating and I thank you."

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on December 8th, 2010, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 9th, 2010, 5:08 pm #4

Paul, it's great to see you getting some mileage out of the Brass Bell Bay Harbor feature. It is always great to see support of our efforts, and you never fail to dish it out. We're proud of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club's collaboration with this Chris-Craft Commander Forum, and we appreciate your approach to this collaboration. If it's wood, fiberglass, aluminum, steel and a Chris-Craft, or any other vintage boat for that matter, we're right there with you in your enthusiasm. If it's deadlines, client revisions, belligerent personalities, political posturing, or power struggles, I'd just as soon leave that out of the hobby! Great job with all that you do.

BIll Basler
Executive Director
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club
www.chris-craft.org | www.TradingDock.org

Paul
Paul

December 9th, 2010, 5:43 pm #5

Aye Capitano,

Likewise, ditto, boating is too much fun to waste! All good stuff.

Hey I'm looking forward to seeing that BLUE BOMB of yours in the water this year at Tavares, Lake Dora. I dare say it will be the first one anyone has seen in a long time, and the first one many have EVER seen.

I missed the show last year due to attending two Bay Harbor events, and we're looking forward to getting "down there" in late March as a nice start-up to the 2011 boating season.

Thanks for being a big part of the "Fiberglass Revolution" in classic boating.

Regards, best,

Paul

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1283536357