Blue Moon Lagoon was rockin today !

Blue Moon Lagoon was rockin today !

Paul
Paul

June 8th, 2009, 1:55 am #1

Live entertainment, good food, Hurricanes being served by the dozen, the old Blue Moon Lagoon was a rocking today. Here is yours truely out with my social director, TRADITION docked in the background, enjoying a nice Sunday afternoon. This is one of the best kept secrets in Nashville, since only people who keep their boats at this marina (and people like us who arrive by boat) know where it is. To get here by land, you have to drive through an out of the way location most people in Nashville never traverse, and never think of. We like it that way. Weekday evenings, and week-ends, this is a fun and convenient place for us on Cheatham Lake.

Big dogs ran flawlessly, one is running rich again, I have new caps and rotors to replace on a proactive PM program, so I'll do another tune up in a week or so, whenever there is a nice evening when it's raining, I can be in the marina under cover and do a little work.

Here we are again (May 24) on a rainy day, sitting under the cover just enjoying being on the water. Cool shirt, eh? (Thanks to Jim Peters for that). Oh yeah, also wearing the Huron Yacht Club hat !! (Everyone should have one !!)

Cheers from Nashville, Commander style !

Paul and Janet

June 8th, 2009, 11:23 am #2

On the way up the river we saw something pretty strange, a sailboat! Not only was it under sail, it was small, about 17'. We later found out the guy is going to sail the darn thing all the way to the Gulf, but on this day he tacked and turned the boat directly into the path of an oncoming Commander running on a slow and comfortable plane. The boat clearly was making white water. So seeing this I naturally backed down to 1100 RPM, got on the hailer and said, "maintain your course, I'll wait on you". They waved like a couple of tourists, we motored by and waved, and the next guy just blazed by and gave them the big wake. I think it's going to be a LONG trip to the gulf in that rig.

So here we are back up on a plane and I look back and see the guy who gave the small sailboat the wake, and he's steaming down on us at full speed with intentions to pass. It's obvious to me he's on his way to the same harbor as I am, and I can even see the destination a mile down the river already. Well I slowly reached forward and pushed the throttles forward a bit, our wake got more narrow, and eventually with another push I'm up and running at wide open Carter AFBs. This was obviously a race to the entrance to Rock Harbor, and he didn't try to cross our wake at that speed but it sure would have been fun to watch, ha ha. As we approached I backed down popped out the fenders, pulled into the harbor while the entire restaurant watched us do a pivot turn and back right into the choice spot. Janet hooked a line onto the aft cleat, I gently touched the port reverse and starboard forward for a moment, the bow swung into the dock nicely and everyone there must have thought I'd done it before. Several people came by to look at the boat while we were there, some asked about it. Fun being a Commander owner! They look good and have the speed to back it up!

Here's what TRADITION looks like running at full power, photo taken by Reece Ewton aboard FANDANGO back in November. The 427s were howling !

Regards,

Paul

June 8th, 2009, 1:18 pm #3

Live entertainment, good food, Hurricanes being served by the dozen, the old Blue Moon Lagoon was a rocking today. Here is yours truely out with my social director, TRADITION docked in the background, enjoying a nice Sunday afternoon. This is one of the best kept secrets in Nashville, since only people who keep their boats at this marina (and people like us who arrive by boat) know where it is. To get here by land, you have to drive through an out of the way location most people in Nashville never traverse, and never think of. We like it that way. Weekday evenings, and week-ends, this is a fun and convenient place for us on Cheatham Lake.

Big dogs ran flawlessly, one is running rich again, I have new caps and rotors to replace on a proactive PM program, so I'll do another tune up in a week or so, whenever there is a nice evening when it's raining, I can be in the marina under cover and do a little work.

Here we are again (May 24) on a rainy day, sitting under the cover just enjoying being on the water. Cool shirt, eh? (Thanks to Jim Peters for that). Oh yeah, also wearing the Huron Yacht Club hat !! (Everyone should have one !!)

Cheers from Nashville, Commander style !

Paul and Janet
Drink in hand, soaking up the sun shine, thats the way I like to boat (in the marina of cause) LOL
Have you got the recipe of a Hurricane, they look good.

Regards
Heidi

Heidi and Paul
"Seaspray" 31'
Jersey, Channel Islands
(Just off France)

Paul
Paul

June 8th, 2009, 4:25 pm #4

Well it's interesting, we were discussing the recipe while we were there, because when we ordered a couple, the waitress said they didn't serve that. I said "oh yes you do, and here is a photo of us drinking two of em here a couple weeks ago". Upon seeing that on my Iphone, she went into the bar and found someone who did a nice job, ha. Not really sure what recipe they used, but upon looking I see there are about 30 recipes out there.

Ingredients to use: 1.0 splash Grenadine
2.0 oz Orange juice
4.0 oz Pineapple Juice
1.0 shot Meyers Dark Rum
Directions: mix the Meyers dark Rum, Pineapple juice, and orange juice, and stir.
Then splash enough grenadine turn turn the drink red

Here's one that would really get you hammered !
1.0 oz. Grenadine
1.0 oz. Pineapple Juice
1.0 oz. Light Rum
1.0 oz. Bacardi 151 Rum
1.0 oz. Triple sec
Fill glass with ice,then add the Bacardi 151 rum. Add all of the rest except for the Grenadine, add that last.

I don't think you would want to light a match around this one !!
1.0 oz. Cranberry juice
1.0 oz. Orange juice
1.0 oz. coconut Rum
1.0 oz. Rum
1.0 oz. Light Rum
0.5 oz. 151 Proof Rum
Mix all but 151 with ice and pour into collins glass. Float 151 on top.

Drink Recipe Ingredients:
.5 oz. Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
.75 oz. dark rum
3 oz. passion fruit
3 oz. mango juice
2 oz. sweet and sour mix
1 wheel lime(s)

Drink Recipe Preparation:
Add Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, dark rum, passion fruit or mango juice, and sweet and sour mix.
Shake and pour into crushed ice-filled hurricane glass or other specialty glass.
Garnish with lime wheel.

HURRICANE COCKTAIL

Ingredients
1.5 oz amaretto liqueur
1 oz light rum
1 oz dark rum
6 oz orange juice
6 oz pineapple juice
1 tsp lemon juice
1 dash grenadine syrup
orange or pineapple slices for garnish
1 maraschino cherry

Directions
Fill a tall (approx 16 oz) glass with ice. Pour in the amaretto and light and dark rums. Next, add the orange juice, pineapple juice, and lemon juice. Stir, then top with a dash of grenadine and garnish with an orange slice or pineapple wedge and a cherry.

Of course, when Alan Jackson's "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" came out, lyrics below, Janet and I started drinking them. After the third one, you

The sun is hot and that old clock is movin' slow,
An' so am I.
Work day passes like molasses in wintertime,
But it's July.
I'm gettin' paid by the hour, an' older by the minute.
My boss just pushed me over the limit.
I'd like to call him somethin',
I think I'll just call it a day.

Pour me somethin' tall an' strong,
Make it a "Hurricane" before I go insane.
It's only half-past twelve but I don't care.
It's five o'clock somewhere.

Oh, this lunch break is gonna take all afternoon,
An' half the night.
Tomorrow mornin', I know there'll be hell to pay,
Hey, but that's all right.
I ain't had a day off now in over a year.
Our Jamaican vacation's gonna start right here.
Hit the 'phones for me,
You can tell 'em I just sailed away.

An' pour me somethin' tall an' strong,

I could pay off my tab, pour myself in a cab,
An' be back to work before two.
At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder,
What would Jimmy Buffet do?

Funny you should ask that because I'd say:

He don't care.
I don't care.

What time zone am on? What country am I in?
It doesn't matter, it's five o'clock somewhere.
It's always on five in Margaritaville, come to think of it.
Yeah, I heard that.
You been there haven't you.
Yessir.
I seen your boat there.
I've been to Margaritaville a few times.
All right, that's good.
Stumbled all the way back.
OK. Just wanna make sure you can keep it between the navigational beacons.
Bring the booze, I tell you.
All right. Well, it's five o'clock. Let's go somewhere.
I'm ready, crank it up.
Let's get out of here.
I'm gone.
Let's get out of here.

regards,

Paul

June 9th, 2009, 1:13 pm #5

Thank you, once the sun is out again and SEASPRAY is back in the watter, I think Paul will enjoy a Hurricane or two. He has been working hard on the boat, so I will get plenty of ice for him.

Best regards
Heidi

Heidi and Paul
"Seaspray" 31'
Jersey, Channel Islands
(Just off France)

Paul
Paul

June 9th, 2009, 3:25 pm #6

Let me know what recipie you guys like best, and send photos !

regards,

Paul

June 9th, 2009, 8:16 pm #7

Heidi, Paul and All:
If those hurricanes are anything like I had in New Orleans while in the Army at Ft. Polk, you had better hunt up a "hurricane hole" to spend the night in because where-ever you are, when you finish one of those, is where you will be, when you wake up!!!! Brrrrrrrrrr! Ah, what memories!
Jerry

Paul
Paul

June 9th, 2009, 8:38 pm #8

The Pat O'Brien mix is a little different, and perhaps stronger, maybe even larger too?
In any case, sitting there at the outdoor marina on a hot day, it does hit the spot nicely along with a griled grouper sandwich !
Check out the Pat O'Brien recipie I found on the internet.

The drink known to most tourists in New Orleans is the hurricane. During celebrations (and celebrations seem to be every night in the New Orleans French quarter), tourists carry their "to go" hurricane drinks with them. In New Orleans, you can carry your drink out of a bar and down the street, even into another bar. Hurricanes are also the cocktail of choice during Mardi Gras, when thousands come to parade and party.

The hurricane was made famous by Pat O'Brien's French quarter bar. Other restaurants and bars now serve this drink but it has become synonymous with Pat O'Brien's. this signature cocktail is a potent fruit punch drink that is served in a special hurricane lamp glass in New Orleans. The drink was created during World War II, when liquor such as whiskey was in low supply and bar owners were forced to order large amounts of rum in order to get their quota of whiskey. Pat O'Brien's has become a tourist mecca, and the Pat O'Brien's Hurricane glass is one of the most sought-after souvenirs in New Orleans.

Hurricane Cocktail Recipe

1 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice
4 ounces dark rum
2 ounces passion fruit syrup
Crushed ice
Orange and/or lime slice
1 Maraschino Cherry

In a cocktail shaker, add lemon juice, rum, passion fruit syrup, and crushed ice; shake vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes and then strain into a tall glass or hurricane glass.

Garnish with an orange and/or lime slices and a maraschino cherry.

Makes 1 serving.

Here are some pretty funny comments posted online about this drink, ha
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink529.html

June 9th, 2009, 10:52 pm #9

"My theory is that people enjoy hurricanes whether they say so or not. Because in hurricanes, terrible things are happening, people are getting killed, you're liable to get killed, there is a certain exhilaration... yeah...Louisianans enjoy their hurricanes if they're not too bad."

----The late Mississippi writer Walker Percy

Greg M