Bilge Club

Bilge Club

Glenn F
Glenn F

April 17th, 2012, 1:06 pm #1

Paul and all,

As alot of you know I'm not afraid of digging in, and you may know I've really dug into my 36'.
Here are some pictures of my lastest dig.
Could not resist showing the orginal bilge, which most of us have seen and delt with or are dealing with.

Cleaning, cleaning, and cleaning some more.

Grinding, grinding some more cleaning priming and filling.

I want to be able to wash down the bilge and not have any hang ups for dirt. Or eat off it:)

Yes I have filled all the gaps and removed any fiberglass the was not glued down.

Tools of choose.

Glenn F

Greg42sf
Greg42sf

April 17th, 2012, 2:03 pm #2

Yes fond memories. Or at least memories i will never forget. Good job and one major part complete.

Paul
Paul

April 18th, 2012, 1:16 pm #3

You guys in the bilge club leave no opportunity to RUB IT IN.

It's been 46 years since my bilge was even close to that clean.
My bilge, by the way, has residue of motor oil and transmission fluid they don't even make any more !!

Regards,

Paul

Greg42sf
Greg42sf

April 19th, 2012, 1:52 am #4

Now Paul you can do the same. I just dont think you are as extreme as some of us. Well if it makes you feel better i have this 1 mysterious oil leak in my bilge. No engine there. Oil is just weeping out of the glass in one spot on my nice painted bilge. How dare it. I think she is rebelling like a child when you take an old toy away. They dont want the new one. If it makes you feel better I lent my shop vac ( brand new ) to a freind of min and he used it in his bilge. No big deal right. It was a detroit bilge. Whole diffrent ball of sludge. He also left some water/oil or oil/oil mix in the unit which, I of course, spilled all over my new paint. Never thought I could make a shop vac fly. I almost hit someone walking by. Now more oil to clean up and a few beers to calm down. Anyway I don't think he will get to use it again.

Paul
Paul

April 19th, 2012, 1:15 pm #5

Ohhh guys don't get me wrong, when it comes to extreme I'm in. Just hung up the phone with Jerry this morning, he said he thought maybe I had gone off the deep end, and I told him not to worry because I have had one foot in the deep end and the other on a bananna peel for a long time. You, my friend are a bit higher up on the chart than I am however. I am far enough up the chart however, to enjoy your company and the likes of the Namken's, Wellers, Wades, Jenkins, Feilhauer's, the Klein's, and sheesh the list could take all day....

As for the shop vac, I hear ya. Returning one full of oil like that is very bad form.

regards,

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on June 1st, 2012, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Croff
Philip Croff

April 20th, 2012, 12:46 am #6

Paul and all,

As alot of you know I'm not afraid of digging in, and you may know I've really dug into my 36'.
Here are some pictures of my lastest dig.
Could not resist showing the orginal bilge, which most of us have seen and delt with or are dealing with.

Cleaning, cleaning, and cleaning some more.

Grinding, grinding some more cleaning priming and filling.

I want to be able to wash down the bilge and not have any hang ups for dirt. Or eat off it:)

Yes I have filled all the gaps and removed any fiberglass the was not glued down.

Tools of choose.

Glenn F
I like the idea of sprucing up the bilge...eventually ill get to cleaning and painting mine. But yeah...thank goodness doing glass work in the bilge isnt anything like having to deal with rotten stringers

Glenn F
Glenn F

April 20th, 2012, 10:19 pm #7

All,

I'm still supprised that the glass work in the bilges of these boats are as rought as they are.
I know composites were still somewhat new and there is the cost issue. The shape edges and the splitters will cut you up if your not careful.

Glenn

Paul
Paul

April 21st, 2012, 11:36 pm #8

A conversation I had with Chris Smith one day suggested he had a problem with the way CC was finishing up the bilges in their boats, and he said something about how the finish and painting in the bilge was not as good as some of the other brands that seemed to put more emphasis on this. CC was a big production shop, building remarkably fine boats that were well engineered, for a reasonable price, and it is a bit unfair to be comparing them to some of the low production boats that could have never been financially viable on the CC assembly line. I have found some open void areas in the Lancer bilge that I will be filling with resin just to make a full closure, no need to leave a pocket open, although it's just more resin inside that pocket and they are above the wet zone. These boats were all laid up by hand, no fiberglass chopper guns at CC.

best,

Paul