ACBS Annual Meeting ~ Bay Harbor, Michigan, September 15 to 18, 2010

ACBS Annual Meeting ~ Bay Harbor, Michigan, September 15 to 18, 2010

Paul
Paul

March 4th, 2010, 8:33 pm #1

Hello all,

I'm thrilled to announce
The Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc. direct participation (and one-hour featured program on the Fiberglass Chris Craft Commander) with the revered
Antique and Classic Boat Society, Inc.
at their
Annual Meeting, September 15 - 18, 2010,
which just happens to be at............drumroll please..............
Bay Harbor, Michigan !!

Everything you see in this photo below is "Bay Harbor" !!

Photo below, Tom Flood's fabulous Hacker Craft Dolphin, which he totally rebuilt to "best of show standards".
Photo taken at Bay Harbor, June 26, 2010

So after the 2010 Chris Craft Commander Rendezvous, at Bay Harbor, Michigan,
with the Bay Harbor Vintage Car and Boat Show,
at this same location on June 24 - 27, 2010, now we have another opportunity
to visit this magical place again, with an entirely different venue
on September 15 - 18, 2010 !!.

For anyone who may have missed the June event at Bay Harbor, check out this link to see what
the place is all about. In short, it is AMAZING !!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1276893358

The ACBS Annual Meeting (and Boat Show) will be a different time of year, totally different perspective on boating,
but still with a very strong Chris Craft Commander thread at both events !!
The Classic Fiberglass Chris Craft Commander has come of age!

These two events are TOTALLY different, the dates and venues do not conflict or compete with one another in any way,
they both focus on our hobby, but in much different ways. Janet and I are planning on being at both events,
participating directly, and we hope to see some or all of you there too!

At the ACBS Annual Meeting, your Chris Craft Commander Forum host will be presenting an hour-long upgraded version of the program I presented at
the ACBS 2009 International Motor Boating Symposium, in Seattle, Washington, featuring the fiberglass Chris Craft Commander.

I am honored to have this opportunity, and doubly honored to have the privilege of speaking right after <i>Herb Pocklington gives his talk at this event.
Naturally anyone who shows up at this event in a Chris Craft Commander will be getting a LOT of attention from the most prestigious group of
antique and classic boating enthusiasts anywhere in the world! It's going to be fun, be there!! </i>

Regards,

Paul

http://www.bayharbor.com/antiqueboats/

Bay Harbor is honored and excited to have been chosen as the site for the 35th Annual Meeting and 10th Annual International Boat Show of the Antique & Classic Boat Society. Bay Harbor will be hosting the main events for the organization including the In Water Boat Show which will draw thousands of patrons on September 17 and 18. Bay Harbor will also be assisting the group in visiting the surrounding areas during pre-events which take place September 12 - 14 and optional tours for members during the entire week.

This is a grand event that will impact and benefit our surrounding communities and local businesses. Bay Harbor wants to welcome this group with open arms, and have all local communities and businesses take part. It will be a significant impact for our area, as this group will be partaking in several tours along their Blue Water Adventure during the week they are here.

Bay Harbor has always been connected and passionate about antique & classic watercrafts and vehicles. Over the past eleven years, Bay Harbor has hosted the Vintage Car & Boat Festival as a premier event held in June. The passion of antique boats and vehicles has had a long history in Bay Harbor. Developer David V. Johnson who spent a portion of his childhood in northern Michigan developed a tremendous passion for boating at a very early age and became dedicated to preserving the water for future generations. Evident in the restoration and creation of Bay Harbor Lake and Village at Bay Harbor, the once abandoned cement plant now boasts the Nautical Center of the Great Lakes with pristine waters, luxurious amenities and a top-notch Marina. Bay Harbor has also recently joined forces to become a dealer for Hacker Craft Runabout boats, which have a rich heritage of crafting wood boats for the past one hundred years.

There are approximately 16,000 members of the Antique & Classic Boat Society represented in all 50 states and Canada. These members also have local chapters that are represented in many of the states. One of the local chapters in Michigan, Water Wonderland is also going to play a part of this event, working with Bay Harbor to promote and showcase the meeting coming back to Michigan in 2010. The Water Wonderland Chapter was founded in 1988 and relies entirely on the dedication of its volunteer staff including a four-officer Executive Committee. The members hail throughout the entire state of Michigan and make a concerted effort to plan events throughout the region.

The Water Wonderland Chapter of the ACBS has enjoyed consistent growth year after year and is constantly seeking to expand upon or improve the activities of the chapter, meeting the needs of the membership as it changes and evolves.

Bay Harbor is proud to bring the ACBS Annual Meeting back to Michigan in September 2010. It is an ideal setting to have amazing and distinctive crafts in the Bay Harbor Lake Marina, and to welcome its members to our community."

I will continue to list information here http://www.chriscraftcommander.com and I'll also be linking directly to the ACBS information sites too.
From now until September if anyone has any questions about the event, please also feel free to email me directly at [url=mailto:ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com]ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com[/url]

regards, best,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on July 2nd, 2010, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

March 4th, 2010, 9:14 pm #2

ACBS has always been about wood boats. It's what started the antique boating hobby in the first place, and it is what has sustained the interest over the years. ACBS is the premier clearing house for antique and classic boating standards in the world today. During the last few years there has been more and more interest in vintage fiberglass, and a few classic boats have actually attended some of the highest profile shows in North America. However, I have yet to see the first Chris Craft Commander attend any such event, and I've been a member of ACBS since the early 1980s.

The all glass AquaCar below, and the fiberglass clad Chris Craft Silver Arrow are a couple examples of some fiberglass that did attend recent ACBS events.

Now ACBS is wise to maintain their focus on wood boats and their history and culture, but to also start giving due deference to classic glass boats like the fabulous line of highly styled and functional affordable user-boats called the Chris Craft Commander. As we know here on The Forum, there are Commander models for any style of boating, at any speed or length, or any level of luxury.

I own a nice classic wood speedboat myself, and it's a great boat, fabulous hobby, and with a lot of historical significance during the classic postwar era. It is great, however, to see an organization like ACBS recognize and give legitimacy to our classic glass Commanders too! This is sure to pay ACBS back with a stronger membership, and it will also help maintain the surviving Commander fleet in better condition if people realize the true significance of the "old boats" they have.

Regards,

Paul

Mike W
Mike W

March 5th, 2010, 2:34 am #3

First I would like to thank you for all your efforts in bringing the attention these wonderful boats deserve.

Traveling the Northern Great Lakes is always weather dependent with mid to late June and July early August the most predictable. If there is a predicable up here. September is the season of change and the weather can be both spectacular or brutal and any good weather should be considered a bonus. Be prepared for most anything mother nature can dish out for either event. The link below will give you the averages for the month and if you click on the record lows you may get a better appreciation of the extremes. Click on the record highs to begin creating positive vibes.

Mike

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/USMI0667

Paul
Paul

March 5th, 2010, 12:52 pm #4

Hey Mike, thanks that's good info. Any assistance we get to share with people making a trip on the water is always appreciated. Here in Tennessee I've been out when it's icing over on the windshields, and Reece Ewton has too. We met up at Cheatham Locks the day he brought FANDANGO (a Michigan boat, by the way) through on his upriver cruise to Old Hickory, and we ran together for miles, having great fun in the relatively nasty weather.

Just a note or two about about ACBS boaters, those guys and gals are VERY experienced boaters, some of the best I've seen anywhere on the planet. People in the area who may be subject to cruising a Commander or other fine classic boat of wood, metal, or fiberglass, will should know their local waters pretty well, but some can be coming from much farther south.

Here are some of those expert ACBS boat handlers in action, they don't just ride around mindlessly in pretty boats, they REALLY KNOW what they are doing, and I have sure learned a lot just being around these people. Great fun too.

The waters of upper Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are fabulous, and a little moderate weather cruising would be fabulous. Here are a few photos of a group of Commanders on lake Huron a few years ago, and I had the pleasure of being aboard Ron Smoker's 38 Diesel Powered Sedan in these photos at the time.

The weather info you provided is very helpful, please send in any other tips or local issues that may help others who may elect to have a boat in the water. Those of us who are traveling by car won't really care what the weather does, but the guys and gals aboard, or trailering will.

Since I've been involved with ACBS since the early 1980s, I've been in boating events where it was very pretty, and then some when it rained and blew up a pretty nasty wind. Fortunately in all events this was dealt with in a proper manner and nobody got hurt. Last year we had near tornado weather on Lake Erie and one of the cruisers (42' OTTER CHAOS, owned by Jeff and Darlene Watson) buried it's nose in blue water a couple of times.....sending a wall of water down the walkway of this particular design and it hit the cabin door (which was not a waterproof seal). Their carpet got plenty wet, and a lot of water came in through the forward hatch too, which as we know is not waterproof either. Still, they were all smiles once they got the stress factor over with and they gave every appearance of having a lot of fun..........they are some other expert boaters.

I'm really looking forward to getting back "up there" in your part of the world. The water is fabulous, the people are nice, hope to see you there.

regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on September 22nd, 2010, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
Kevin

March 5th, 2010, 2:45 pm #5

Michigan has spectacular boating and weather; when it is good As a native, we never let the bad weather stop our fun; too windy an rough, take out the sailboat!

My friend took a custom built 42 ft cold molded Down East style cruiser on the Great Cirlce Route for a couple of years. From the Bahamas to Maine and the Gulf Coast, the worst weather they hit from a "bad seas" perspective was in the Straits of Machinaw. They said they have never seen anything like it!!!

The rest of the time the boating is fantastic, which are most days!! Can't wait to get out on the clear blue water.

Kevin

Paul
Paul

March 5th, 2010, 3:02 pm #6

Hello all,

I'm thrilled to announce
The Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc. direct participation (and one-hour featured program on the Fiberglass Chris Craft Commander) with the revered
at their
Bay Harbor, Michigan !!

Photo below, Tom Flood's fabulous Hacker Craft Dolphin, which he totally rebuilt to "best of show standards".

For anyone who may have missed the June event at Bay Harbor, check out this link to see what

The ACBS Annual Meeting (and Boat Show) will be a different time of year, totally different perspective on boating,

These two events are TOTALLY different, the dates and venues do not conflict or compete with one another in any way,
they both focus on our hobby, but in much different ways. Janet and I are planning on being at both events,

At the ACBS Annual Meeting, your Chris Craft Commander Forum host will be presenting an hour-long upgraded version of the program I presented at
the ACBS 2009 International Motor Boating Symposium, in Seattle, Washington, featuring the fiberglass Chris Craft Commander.

I am honored to have this opportunity, and doubly honored to have the privilege of speaking right after <i>Herb Pocklington gives his talk at this event.
Naturally anyone who shows up at this event in a Chris Craft Commander will be getting a LOT of attention from the most prestigious group of
antique and classic boating enthusiasts anywhere in the world! It's going to be fun, be there!! </i>

Regards,

Paul

Bay Harbor is honored and excited to have been chosen as the site for the 35th Annual Meeting and 10th Annual International Boat Show of the Antique & Classic Boat Society. Bay Harbor will be hosting the main events for the organization including the In Water Boat Show which will draw thousands of patrons on September 17 and 18. Bay Harbor will also be assisting the group in visiting the surrounding areas during pre-events which take place September 12 - 14 and optional tours for members during the entire week.

This is a grand event that will impact and benefit our surrounding communities and local businesses. Bay Harbor wants to welcome this group with open arms, and have all local communities and businesses take part. It will be a significant impact for our area, as this group will be partaking in several tours along their Blue Water Adventure during the week they are here.

Bay Harbor has always been connected and passionate about antique & classic watercrafts and vehicles. Over the past eleven years, Bay Harbor has hosted the Vintage Car & Boat Festival as a premier event held in June. The passion of antique boats and vehicles has had a long history in Bay Harbor. Developer David V. Johnson who spent a portion of his childhood in northern Michigan developed a tremendous passion for boating at a very early age and became dedicated to preserving the water for future generations. Evident in the restoration and creation of Bay Harbor Lake and Village at Bay Harbor, the once abandoned cement plant now boasts the Nautical Center of the Great Lakes with pristine waters, luxurious amenities and a top-notch Marina. Bay Harbor has also recently joined forces to become a dealer for Hacker Craft Runabout boats, which have a rich heritage of crafting wood boats for the past one hundred years.

There are approximately 16,000 members of the Antique & Classic Boat Society represented in all 50 states and Canada. These members also have local chapters that are represented in many of the states. One of the local chapters in Michigan, Water Wonderland is also going to play a part of this event, working with Bay Harbor to promote and showcase the meeting coming back to Michigan in 2010. The Water Wonderland Chapter was founded in 1988 and relies entirely on the dedication of its volunteer staff including a four-officer Executive Committee. The members hail throughout the entire state of Michigan and make a concerted effort to plan events throughout the region.

The Water Wonderland Chapter of the ACBS has enjoyed consistent growth year after year and is constantly seeking to expand upon or improve the activities of the chapter, meeting the needs of the membership as it changes and evolves.

Bay Harbor is proud to bring the ACBS Annual Meeting back to Michigan in September 2010. It is an ideal setting to have amazing and distinctive crafts in the Bay Harbor Lake Marina, and to welcome its members to our community."

I will continue to list information here http://www.chriscraftcommander.com and I'll also be linking directly to the ACBS information sites too.
From now until September if anyone has any questions about the event, please also feel free to email me directly at [url=mailto:ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com]ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com[/url]

regards, best,

Paul

As we know now, due to two (2) events The Forum is involved with this year at this location, Bay Harbor is located in the summer resort area of Michigan, in a very beautiful setting. It's a destination for many, and I actually already have my hotel accommodations booked. On the big lakes there are a lot of people who have boats capable of traveling longer distances and for these people the cruising opportunity to travel by boat and reach a very welcoming destination during a special boating event is here now!

Since boats are literally capable of reaching this location from as far away as Chicago and Detroit, and on into the Western basin of Lake Erie, I thought it would be nice to post a series of maps showing milage to help people assess their cruising time and fuel consumption. In fact, a few years back Ron Smoker cruised SUMMER SONG from Cleveland, Ohio, across half of Lake Erie, through Lake St. Clair, and all the way up Lake Huron to meet up with us for another event.

Yes, I know there are some additional locations around the area that could have been listed, but the ones listed should help the vast majority of marinas in the area get a very quick look at their potential travel time and fuel consumption. Upon doing a Google around the area, there are a lot of boats in the 300-mile area and each location noted has a marina large enough to have more than one contender. There are a lot of Commanders in these waters!

In alphabetical order.....................................

Alpena, MI, to Bay Harbor MI 154 miles

Arcadia, MI, to Bay Harbor MI 100 miles

Bay City, MI, to Bay Harbor MI, 252 miles.

Charlevoix, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 14 miles

Cheboygan, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 63 miles

Chicago, IL, to Bay Harbor, MI 286 miles

Detroit, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 350 miles
(it is noted that Ron Smoker cruised his 38 Commander from Cleveland, Ohio, to Drummond Island a few years ago, and Drummond is very close to Bay Harbor)

Elk Rapids, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 47 miles.

Frankfurt and Elberta, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 89 miles.

Grand Haven, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 207 miles.

Green Bay, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 170 miles

Harbor Springs, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 6 miles

Hessel MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 71 miles.

Holland and Lake Macatawa, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 227 miles.

Luddington, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 140 miles.

Manistee and Onekama, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 110 miles.

Manitowoc, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 172 miles.

Milwaukee, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 238 miles.

Montegue and Whitehall area, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 188 miles.

Muskegon, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 195 miles.

Nominee, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 133 miles.

Northport, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 38 miles.

Pentwater, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 156 miles.

Racine, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 260 miles.

Saugatuck, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 231 miles

Sheboygan, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 190 miles.

South Haven, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 250 miles.

Sturgeon Bay, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 125 miles.

Suttons Bay, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 46 miles.

Traverse City and Greilickville area, to Bay Harbor, MI 58 miles.

Some of these travel distances are long, some are short. Many of our Commanders are very well equipped for longer cruises like this. The fun part is to take a few days and enjoy the water and the boat, and arrive at a special location and an event that will welcome you in with open arms. How much fun is that? ACBS has traditionally selected "the best" locations available for their very well done ANNUAL MEETINGS. I've been to Lake Tahoe a few times, the Muskoka Lakes, Toronto, NY YC, Lake Geneva, Lake George's Sagamore Hotel, Newport Rhode Island, gosh it's tough to remember all the great places I've gotten in to see via ACBS. On one of those trips I got aboard a restored Americas Cup racer and we went out with two other restored Americas Cuppers. These events are exceptionally well planned, well managed, and they cater the the best of the boating culture. I would encourage all of our readers and participants here on The Forum to consider attending, whether you're interested in fiberglass Chris Craft boats or not, this is always a very fine party regardless.

If you are fortunate to live in this region with a Commander, and if you ever had plans to make a longer cruise to a very special location this coming summer, please take a look at the amenities you'll encounter at Bay Harbor and give it due consideration.

Send me a private email at chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com if you have any questions and I'll be happy to assist you personally.

Regards,

Best,

Paul

Paul
Paul

March 5th, 2010, 4:10 pm #7

Hey Mike, thanks that's good info. Any assistance we get to share with people making a trip on the water is always appreciated. Here in Tennessee I've been out when it's icing over on the windshields, and Reece Ewton has too. We met up at Cheatham Locks the day he brought FANDANGO (a Michigan boat, by the way) through on his upriver cruise to Old Hickory, and we ran together for miles, having great fun in the relatively nasty weather.

Just a note or two about about ACBS boaters, those guys and gals are VERY experienced boaters, some of the best I've seen anywhere on the planet. People in the area who may be subject to cruising a Commander or other fine classic boat of wood, metal, or fiberglass, will should know their local waters pretty well, but some can be coming from much farther south.

Here are some of those expert ACBS boat handlers in action, they don't just ride around mindlessly in pretty boats, they REALLY KNOW what they are doing, and I have sure learned a lot just being around these people. Great fun too.

The waters of upper Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are fabulous, and a little moderate weather cruising would be fabulous. Here are a few photos of a group of Commanders on lake Huron a few years ago, and I had the pleasure of being aboard Ron Smoker's 38 Diesel Powered Sedan in these photos at the time.

The weather info you provided is very helpful, please send in any other tips or local issues that may help others who may elect to have a boat in the water. Those of us who are traveling by car won't really care what the weather does, but the guys and gals aboard, or trailering will.

Since I've been involved with ACBS since the early 1980s, I've been in boating events where it was very pretty, and then some when it rained and blew up a pretty nasty wind. Fortunately in all events this was dealt with in a proper manner and nobody got hurt. Last year we had near tornado weather on Lake Erie and one of the cruisers (42' OTTER CHAOS, owned by Jeff and Darlene Watson) buried it's nose in blue water a couple of times.....sending a wall of water down the walkway of this particular design and it hit the cabin door (which was not a waterproof seal). Their carpet got plenty wet, and a lot of water came in through the forward hatch too, which as we know is not waterproof either. Still, they were all smiles once they got the stress factor over with and they gave every appearance of having a lot of fun..........they are some other expert boaters.

I'm really looking forward to getting back "up there" in your part of the world. The water is fabulous, the people are nice, hope to see you there.

regards,

Paul

Hi guys,

After posting the photos of Steve and Elisa manuvering their fabulous boat in tight quarters, I thought you might like a bit of additional info. This is a 1929 DART, actually it's a Silver Dart model, 26 feet in length and powered by a 225 horsepower Kermath. Like most all ACBS members, they have more than one boat, including a 1957 Custom Chris with the 131 tripple carbs, a 1962 Chris Craft Sea Skiff, and well they're slumming it with a 1965 Riva Ariston too Nice people, and expert boaters.

And of course, the Turcotte bothers will be there with another pair of their bran new Gar Wood racers, still smelling like varnish!

Well hey, Larry Lauderback may bring one of his new boats too!

Hey well the Brayer boys may bring some of their hardware too, these guys like Chrysler hemi motors in case you didn't notice. Curt Brayer holds a couple APBA world records with the boat he built, DANCING BEAR, that will never be broken due to the fact that the F-Service Runabout Class has been discontinued. He was the APBA high point man for seven (7) years in a row with this beast.

His son, Keith, picked up a few tips from dad along the way too, with this hemi-powered V-drive application in a Chris Craft Racing Runabout, very deftly installed so it looks custom but guys, when it's time to hit the loud pedal, this stock looking runabout will get up and run like a cheetah.

Canadians too! Thse are my dear friends Sarah and Murray Gould, from Toronto. We've known them for many years and we only get to see them at events like this. Good times, Great People, and boats of all kinds everywhere!

Hugh Saint may have one of his new boats there too!

Janet Pletcher will be there!! One thing about ACBS, there are a LOT of women in this organization who know what they are doing on board a boat, and Ann Matheson (bottom photo far left) is certainly one of them, who served as previous past president of ACBS. Jean Hoffman also served as ACBS president, and Gail Turner is president this year. So gals, don't think for one minute this is a guy thing, there are lots of women involved with Antique and Classic Boating!

Lots of exotic stuff you may have never seen before will be there too!

There may even be a few dogs there too.

These photos don't even scratch the surface of what is in store for people at Bay Harbor this season. Plan your trips now guys. You have your pick of June 24 - 27, September 15 - 18, or you can do BOTH !! In any case you can read all about it here, as Janet and I will be at both events. We hope to see some or all of you there too.

Regards,

Paul

Edit comment: Dates are corrected, note the pre event activities including cruise, visiting local boat building and restoration shops, dining, etc. commences September 11, but the actual event (Annual Meeting and Boat Show) commences September 15.

regards, Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on March 6th, 2010, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

March 5th, 2010, 4:44 pm #8

As we know now, due to two (2) events The Forum is involved with this year at this location, Bay Harbor is located in the summer resort area of Michigan, in a very beautiful setting. It's a destination for many, and I actually already have my hotel accommodations booked. On the big lakes there are a lot of people who have boats capable of traveling longer distances and for these people the cruising opportunity to travel by boat and reach a very welcoming destination during a special boating event is here now!

Since boats are literally capable of reaching this location from as far away as Chicago and Detroit, and on into the Western basin of Lake Erie, I thought it would be nice to post a series of maps showing milage to help people assess their cruising time and fuel consumption. In fact, a few years back Ron Smoker cruised SUMMER SONG from Cleveland, Ohio, across half of Lake Erie, through Lake St. Clair, and all the way up Lake Huron to meet up with us for another event.

Yes, I know there are some additional locations around the area that could have been listed, but the ones listed should help the vast majority of marinas in the area get a very quick look at their potential travel time and fuel consumption. Upon doing a Google around the area, there are a lot of boats in the 300-mile area and each location noted has a marina large enough to have more than one contender. There are a lot of Commanders in these waters!

In alphabetical order.....................................

Alpena, MI, to Bay Harbor MI 154 miles

Arcadia, MI, to Bay Harbor MI 100 miles

Bay City, MI, to Bay Harbor MI, 252 miles.

Charlevoix, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 14 miles

Cheboygan, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 63 miles

Chicago, IL, to Bay Harbor, MI 286 miles

Detroit, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 350 miles
(it is noted that Ron Smoker cruised his 38 Commander from Cleveland, Ohio, to Drummond Island a few years ago, and Drummond is very close to Bay Harbor)

Elk Rapids, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 47 miles.

Frankfurt and Elberta, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 89 miles.

Grand Haven, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 207 miles.

Green Bay, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 170 miles

Harbor Springs, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 6 miles

Hessel MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 71 miles.

Holland and Lake Macatawa, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 227 miles.

Luddington, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 140 miles.

Manistee and Onekama, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 110 miles.

Manitowoc, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 172 miles.

Milwaukee, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 238 miles.

Montegue and Whitehall area, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 188 miles.

Muskegon, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 195 miles.

Nominee, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 133 miles.

Northport, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 38 miles.

Pentwater, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 156 miles.

Racine, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 260 miles.

Saugatuck, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 231 miles

Sheboygan, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 190 miles.

South Haven, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 250 miles.

Sturgeon Bay, WI, to Bay Harbor, MI 125 miles.

Suttons Bay, MI, to Bay Harbor, MI 46 miles.

Traverse City and Greilickville area, to Bay Harbor, MI 58 miles.

Some of these travel distances are long, some are short. Many of our Commanders are very well equipped for longer cruises like this. The fun part is to take a few days and enjoy the water and the boat, and arrive at a special location and an event that will welcome you in with open arms. How much fun is that? ACBS has traditionally selected "the best" locations available for their very well done ANNUAL MEETINGS. I've been to Lake Tahoe a few times, the Muskoka Lakes, Toronto, NY YC, Lake Geneva, Lake George's Sagamore Hotel, Newport Rhode Island, gosh it's tough to remember all the great places I've gotten in to see via ACBS. On one of those trips I got aboard a restored Americas Cup racer and we went out with two other restored Americas Cuppers. These events are exceptionally well planned, well managed, and they cater the the best of the boating culture. I would encourage all of our readers and participants here on The Forum to consider attending, whether you're interested in fiberglass Chris Craft boats or not, this is always a very fine party regardless.

If you are fortunate to live in this region with a Commander, and if you ever had plans to make a longer cruise to a very special location this coming summer, please take a look at the amenities you'll encounter at Bay Harbor and give it due consideration.

Send me a private email at chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com if you have any questions and I'll be happy to assist you personally.

Regards,

Best,

Paul
Okay campers!

Did I tell you ACBS does it right?
The local chapter, WATER WONDERLAND, is hosting a week of tours, boat house hopping, boat building shop open house, fine dining, shopping, ferry boat rides, open water cruising, wow!

Anyone coming by Commander could very well get involved with some of this fun too.
This is a special part of the country, they have a great boating heritage, and as I said before, when ACBS rolls out the red carpet for their annual meeting, "they do it right".

Here is info on the pre-event activities.

http://www.bayharbor2010.com/bluewater.html

Regards,

Paul

June 23rd, 2010, 8:45 pm #9

Hello all,

I'm thrilled to announce
at their
Bay Harbor, Michigan !!

Regards,

Paul

regards, best,

Paul

Hello all,

As most know we're having a rather limited gathering (only 40 slips available to us) at the fabulous Bay Harbor Resort on Lake Michigan this week-end. This is a charity event by the Bay Harbor Foundation, and it includes a high-end automotive concours d'elegance judged show, along with exotic boats (one of which is being shipped all the way from California).

Both events are going to be great fun, however, the one in September is turning into a mega bash that will get international attention. I just got off the phone with Les Demaline, who has judged boat shows in Clayton for 15 years and who also won best of show at least twice with his barrel back Chris. They are clearing out the entire harbor for us in September !!

Les said Bay Harbor is moving 80 boats out of the harbor in September to give us the entire harbor, and that ACBS was anticipating a lot of crusiers attending in September. Les said they are anticipating 160 boats, including a 90' Berger. This event will receive the full weight of the Michigan Water Wonderland Chapter and International ACBS, and it will be very highly hyped here on The Forum too, which means we'll be able to contact every Chris Craft Commander owner in the entire area, and invite them to attend.

As you may know, I have been asked by ACBS to present a formal program on the Classic Fiberglass Chris Craft Commander, and I am well prepared already to do this, after refining the presentation I gave last year at the ACBS International Motor Boating Symposium in Seattle with new and updated material. Some of you guys here on The Forum are going to be famous, as your boat photos may be some of the ones presented during the program! My program follows opening remarks and a program given by Herb Pocklington, and I am honored to even be in the same room with Mr. Pocklington. I am doubly honored to be given the opportunity to speak to the ACBS International Board and Membership at their Annual Meeting about the Classic Chris Craft Commander boats!

Les said formerly ACBS had recognized boats built during model year 1968 and older as "modern classics". Many of our Commanders fell within this group. NOW this has CHANGED. Boats built during 1975 and older qualify for any ACBS boat show. We fall in the "non wood" class, and I intend to show ACBS how to say "FIBERGLASS", ha! I anticpate getting a very respectible group of Commanders to attend this event, hopefully Mike Watson will cross over Lake Michigan and join us, and hopefully Al Langolis will also make a repeat run, both of them covering long distances. Les said they already know who will win the award for longest distance, as one boat is coming from 22,000 miles away (not by water). There will be aformal award given by ACBS to the Commander best representing the series.

As always, the Chris Craft Commander Forum, will be hosting their own champagne reception at this event, and we are excited to get up there this week-end for some fun, and to scout the area for much bigger things to come in September.

I have a long history with ACBS. I'm a Charter Member of the Dixieland Chapter, serving as Chapter President, and also served on the ACBS International Board of Directors . I'm thrilled to be able to assist with this Annual Meeting and bring a Commander theme into the event, and to also receive their assistance in helping this all happen.

Stay tuned. If you are missing the event this week-end and you really want to see a (LOT) of boats, this is going to be one heck of a lot of fun. So many boats............so little time!

best,

Paul

Paul
Paul

July 7th, 2010, 7:35 pm #10

News in from Gerry Vande Vusse,

"In Sept. dock fees are waived on Fri & Sat if you are in the Boat Show.
I think they are also reduced for the other days, but I'm not sure about that.
Everything was negotiated by ACBS about two years ago."

Photo above, Jerry in action at Bay Harbor June 25

This is good news because the waived dock fees will help bring in more larger boats. We're going to make a push for Commanders to attend this event, with the help of ACBS. Again, I can not stress this too much, since there is limited space for boats and hotel rooms, if you have an interest in attending this event, do not delay too long.

Working with Les Demoline now, there will be an ACBS award for the best Commander, with the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc., being the sponsor of the award.

As I understand the venue to date, there will be 50 awards given out, and that's about 30% award factor with the 160 boats expected. There are also about 500 people scheduled to attend, so guys and gals, if you have a snowballs chance of attending this event you better call for local hotel rooms now! The Inn at Bay Harbor where Janet and I stayed is expensive, room rates will probebly be in the $250 to $300+ range, and that is too much for us to do again. There are lots of hotel rooms in the area, I will post info later, but with 500 people coming you should be making arrangements now.

About the ACBS Annual Meeting

More about Bay Harbor
http://www.bayharbor.com/about/

If you liked the boats and the scene outlined in the thread we posted about the June 24 - 27 Vintage Car and Boat Show at Bay Harbor, this one will be a blow out by comparison. There will be a lot of boats there, and a lot of interesting programs too, one of which will feature the classic fiberglass Chris Craft Commander, which I think is a major milestone in the Commander history to be recognized formally by an organization with the prestige and credibility of the Antique and Classic Boat Society, with 16,000 members!

Regards, Paul