September 4th, 2018, 2:16 pm #11

rgmxk22 wrote:First, sorry for my typos in my other posts. I was in a rush to get out the door to a doctor's appointment.

Anyway, I reused the metal trim, mine is aluminum and I carefully removed the trim nails that held it to the plywood edge of the dash, then it came right off. Thanks for the compliment on my dash, the only thing I might do over again is that I found out that you can buy a teak formica that I think would look good too. The original formica on my dash had a burl look to it, but it was sun faded and needed replaced.

Another thing I did was when I had the dash apart, I took the plastic pod that surround that makes up the outside of the dash and re-enforced it with a layer of fiberglass cloth on the inside. It not only made it stronger, it let me fix the stress cracks in the corners of the pod. After that, I repainted the pod and it came out really nice.

For your switches, I believe Cole-Hersee makes a very close replacement to the originals. The paddle part of the switches are a little flatter than the more rounded style that CC used. They don't have the rubber boots either. I haven't checked on them for a while, but they did make them not long ago.

I'd like to find a dash of new old stock ID plates as mine show a little wear, but I've never run across any of them. Originally, CC had a pull style switch with the chrome hourglass knob for the navigation lights and a separate paddle style switch for the anchor light. This didn't make sense to me and I bought a 3 position pull style switch and wired it to work both the anchor and the nav lights just like many CC boats I've seen.

That let my use the paddle switch to work some courtesy lights I added to the interior. If you look close on the starboard side one ID plate is just black with no lettering.I just flipped that plate over and painted it black then reused it. I would really like to find one of these plates that just says lights or courtesy.

Ron
Here is photo of my 72 dash. All original

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 5th, 2018, 11:41 am #12

Interesting we have 2 original '72 dashes with very different designs, 1 with etched switch labels 1 with stamped labels.  I wonder if the one with the stamped labels is an earlier SN and carry over design from '71.

September 6th, 2018, 2:29 am #13

ABXK, I believe that you're think correctly. If you look at some of the early (1971) photos in the CC brochures, you can see the (early) dash with etched/printed switch labels. While my 1972 is hull number 101 and have the label rings. So I think it was just a running change they made and it sort of makes sense when you think about the CC boats from the 60's used the chrome label plates on the switches.

September 11th, 2018, 5:50 pm #14

AB,
Chrisparts.com has some bezel type switch I.D. plates https://chrisparts.com/collections/name ... tion-rings. I may eventually have to go to these as I have the first gen dash that used an embossing method that would be very difficult to replicate.
helm dash steering wheel XK-22.jpg

September 11th, 2018, 6:15 pm #15

wow...good point, never thought of that.  I'd like to redo my formica because it is so faded....its the only thing other than upholstery I didn't touch in the resto.  the site only has 4 types, but our boat has more switches/lables (i.e.: anchor light, nav lights)  Will they do custom?  thanks Craig!

September 12th, 2018, 12:40 pm #16

Lot's of cruisers had those switch labels that were chrome plated.  Wayne at Eversole Marine has a bunch of them (Weversole@comcast.net).  You can get pretty much any label you want.  They'll have to be scuffed up, painted black, then the words white and you should be good to go with a new set of labels.  I believe he has a recently rebuilt XK tach and a source for NOS XK 19 or 22 hull side labels as well

September 12th, 2018, 12:49 pm #17

terrific!  thank you so much!

September 12th, 2018, 12:59 pm #18

darn...he doesn't have any.  but thanks again for the tip...I asked about the tach just to have a spare.