42 ft models

42 ft models

Tim Toth
Tim Toth

January 26th, 2006, 11:56 pm #1

Captains,
The 42 ft Sport cruiser made from `68 to `72 was a 3 piece hull glued together ala the 38ft models from that era. The 42 TF made from `75 to `77 was a traditional hull mold and very different that the older 42 ft hull .
Tim Toth, Sandusky , Oh

Paul
Paul

January 27th, 2006, 2:56 am #2

....and the beam is different, and so is the draft. It most likely is a totally different hull, along family lines, but you say it's a conventionally cast hull (does that mean it's a one piece mold?

Just looking at the Essential Guide this eve, after seeing your note, I see the early 42 Sports Cruiser looks a lot more like a stretched 38 Commander with a 13' beam and 38" draft, while the newer boat is 14' beam and 48" draft, and a surprising 5 tons more than the average for the Sports Cruiser, but probably less of a jump when you factor in the diesel power (both with diesels, the delta looks more like 4-tons more for the newer boat).

What do you guys know about that 75-77, why is it so much heavier. Is it because the 3-piece hull met it's design limit for stress on a smaller boat, and the heavier conditions anticipated with the more aggressive tournament fishing environment demanded more heft?

Also what about the continuation of the line. The Essential guide stops at 1977, how long did this 42 and 45 Tournament Fisherman hull design last? That 45' TF is one heck of a boat, it's huge, with huge power. The ultimate Commander?

Regards, Paul

bill thomas
bill thomas

January 27th, 2006, 4:32 am #3

The 42' Sports Cruiser was made 1968 to 1972. This is not a stretched 38'; it is the same hull as the 42' Commander (aft cabin/flush deck), stepped down at the back for fishing.

The 42' Tournament Fisherman was a new hull and built from 1975 thru 1990. This hull is of much more modern construction than the earlier 42'. In 1977 it became called the 42' Commander. It was restyled in 1985 - but still had the same hull. This later version was usually called the 422 Commander Convertible.

The 45' Tournament Fisherman was made from 1972 thru 1980. In 1977 it became called the 45' Commander (and the 45' Commander became the 45' Commander Yacht). As near as I can determine, a total of 86 boats were built. There were 12 FFA-45's built, followed by the FFB-45. The latest I have found is FFB-0074, owned by John Adams in California...so 12 FFA's + 74 FFB's = 86. Incidentally, the hurricane damaged 45' for sale on Yachtworld and other sites is FFB-0072, a very late boat.

The book "Chris-Craft, The Essential Guide" only goes thru 1977, because the museum's records are complete thru 1977, although they have a few later records.

January 27th, 2006, 3:56 pm #4

I've been looking at all this TF and SF info, and it's really caught my attention. I like the boats.

My 38 Express is sort of a SF format, and I like the big aft deck and outdoor steering position, which we enclose for cold weather running with canvas. However, we're always alert to larger boat deals, always kind of looking out one eye or another, and I would be hard pressed to turn down a good deal on a 42 or 45 if one popped up in my neighborhood, or even within reasonable trucking distance.

I know I have "boatitis", I've had the symptoms for many years!

Regards, Paul

bill thomas
bill thomas

January 27th, 2006, 6:27 pm #5

Paul,

John Adams's boat, the late 45TF in California, was trucked there from Michigan. John bought the boat in Ohio, but it couldn't be trucked in Ohio for some reason, so they ran it to Toledo Beach Marina in La Salle, Michigan. There it was hauled and trucked to near Chicago, transferred to another trailer, and trucked to California. The 45TF weighs almost 45,000 pounds - in spite of what the Chris-Craft brochures say - mine was 51,000 in the hoist when I bought it with a lot of gear and spares on board, but it's down to 44,000+ now. Weights are from the Travel Lift gages. Also, the beam measures at 16 feet 2 inches, and the height from keel to top of bridge sides (helm off and the hardtop too of course) is 13 feet 7 inches. The bridge does not come off - except maybe by sawsall I guess. This is a big boat to truck. The company that trucked the boat is Transcontinental Yacht Transport, Inc. of San Diego and John said they did a terrific job. He didn't say what it cost, but I think it was worth it. The boat only had 600 hours on it, and it's beautiful.

The photo below is John's boat, the Cantina and John Austin's boat the Ariana rafted together off Catalina Island, California - both 45TF's. Two really nice boats. Tough life.

edit: photo resized
Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 21st, 2006, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 27th, 2006, 7:50 pm #6

Tough life for sure!

That looks like heaven!

Never been to Catalina Island, but heard a lot of good things about it. I spent quite a lot of time in CA over the last several years, as I've been involved with developing several Class-A office buildings (San Diego, SF, and Fresno).

On the San Diego project, we always stayed at the Grand Hyatt (at the marina) and as a result, I'd take the water taxi over to the SDYC for drinks and dinner every chance I'd get. Other than a wood boat rendezvous at Del Coronado one year, that's the sum total of my west coast boating activities! Well I did take the ferry to Sausalito and Jack London Square a couple time, but not much boating activity in Fresno, ha ha.

The 45 would be a pretty nice boat out on the ocean, I'm sure.

Now I'm thinking of the investiment potential of a 45. Hmmmm, perhaps I could always get "most" of my money back out of it??? Ha ha.

Great photo by the way!

regards, Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 27th, 2006, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry
Terry

April 16th, 2006, 3:04 pm #7

The 42' Sports Cruiser was made 1968 to 1972. This is not a stretched 38'; it is the same hull as the 42' Commander (aft cabin/flush deck), stepped down at the back for fishing.

The 42' Tournament Fisherman was a new hull and built from 1975 thru 1990. This hull is of much more modern construction than the earlier 42'. In 1977 it became called the 42' Commander. It was restyled in 1985 - but still had the same hull. This later version was usually called the 422 Commander Convertible.

The 45' Tournament Fisherman was made from 1972 thru 1980. In 1977 it became called the 45' Commander (and the 45' Commander became the 45' Commander Yacht). As near as I can determine, a total of 86 boats were built. There were 12 FFA-45's built, followed by the FFB-45. The latest I have found is FFB-0074, owned by John Adams in California...so 12 FFA's + 74 FFB's = 86. Incidentally, the hurricane damaged 45' for sale on Yachtworld and other sites is FFB-0072, a very late boat.

The book "Chris-Craft, The Essential Guide" only goes thru 1977, because the museum's records are complete thru 1977, although they have a few later records.
We have a 45 Commander built in 1979. It is the TF, SF, Convertible, whatever style. The hull number is CCF 09065 M 79 J. Can you tell me the code for the hull numbers and which production run this boat came from?

Edit comment: here is another great photo just in from Terry
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1145446162

Edit comment: Terry's photo was compressed
Edit comment #2: Link to Terry's other (great) photo was added.
Last edited by FEfinaticP on April 19th, 2006, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2006, 4:32 pm #8

I have recently become a huge fan of the 45 SF model. Obviously you've been a fan for a lot longer.

I'm looking through the "Chris Craft Essential Guide" by Jerry Conrad, and it's "essential" but not accurate (it fails to note the small block Chevrolet motors were offered in the 38 Commander, for instance).

The data in the Essential Guide goes from 1972 to 1977.

Here are the numbers from Conrad's book:

FFA-45-001 to FFA-45-012

FFB-45-001 to FFB-45-047

(no designation as to what years these serial numbers involve)

Total number of hulls built including 1972 through 1977 is (only) 59
The only motor noted by the Essential Guide is the GM 8V-71

Our resident SF and TF expert, Bill Thomas is the one who will be able to shed some light on the subject. In the interim, please look through the threads, as I assume you've done in order to find this one, because there are a lot of great photos and scans about your model here.

It's obvious that in 1979 when your boat was manufactured, it was using a different internal serial number code. The CCF-09065-M-79 designation would suggest it was the 65th boat of it's particular design, which would also suggest it was an updated model from the series I noted above, but may still have been consecutively numbered within the original run (of which they built 10-hulls per year 1972 - 1977 ).

Love the photo, thanks for posting it.

Regards, Paul
Nashville, TN

1966 38 Commander Express
FXA-38-3004 (the 4th built in 1966)
One of the earliest with original 427 power

April 16th, 2006, 5:53 pm #9

We have a 45 Commander built in 1979. It is the TF, SF, Convertible, whatever style. The hull number is CCF 09065 M 79 J. Can you tell me the code for the hull numbers and which production run this boat came from?

Edit comment: here is another great photo just in from Terry
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1145446162

Edit comment: Terry's photo was compressed
Edit comment #2: Link to Terry's other (great) photo was added.
We don't have many of those up here on the St. Lawrence, since people like boats with less draft and manuverability to get in and around the islands where there are granite boulders in shallow water. All of the locals know every rock, becuase they've hit them all! There are a few big SF on the lake, but we normally don't see many of these up here. I agree with Paul, they're beautiful boats and basically at the top of the Commander lineup.

I don't have any build info on these boats, will be interested inseeing if Bill does.

Charlie
Commander35
Cape Vincent, NY

April 17th, 2006, 9:31 pm #10

I have recently become a huge fan of the 45 SF model. Obviously you've been a fan for a lot longer.

I'm looking through the "Chris Craft Essential Guide" by Jerry Conrad, and it's "essential" but not accurate (it fails to note the small block Chevrolet motors were offered in the 38 Commander, for instance).

The data in the Essential Guide goes from 1972 to 1977.

Here are the numbers from Conrad's book:

FFA-45-001 to FFA-45-012

FFB-45-001 to FFB-45-047

(no designation as to what years these serial numbers involve)

Total number of hulls built including 1972 through 1977 is (only) 59
The only motor noted by the Essential Guide is the GM 8V-71

Our resident SF and TF expert, Bill Thomas is the one who will be able to shed some light on the subject. In the interim, please look through the threads, as I assume you've done in order to find this one, because there are a lot of great photos and scans about your model here.

It's obvious that in 1979 when your boat was manufactured, it was using a different internal serial number code. The CCF-09065-M-79 designation would suggest it was the 65th boat of it's particular design, which would also suggest it was an updated model from the series I noted above, but may still have been consecutively numbered within the original run (of which they built 10-hulls per year 1972 - 1977 ).

Love the photo, thanks for posting it.

Regards, Paul
Nashville, TN

1966 38 Commander Express
FXA-38-3004 (the 4th built in 1966)
One of the earliest with original 427 power
Thanks Paul,

This boat is a wonderful thing. I found it down in Catawba Island last spring. The owner had died and the heirs did not want it so they had it in an estate. We negotiated a fair price and began restoration. It had lots of cosmetic damage. A result I am told by friends of the late skipper who liked to drink and drive, so to speak. However, mechanically it was in fairly good condition. The 692TIB engines were strong and run great. We put airseps on them and changed out a turbo, but basically everything else is top shape.

This winter we refinished the teak on the outside and have done some updating of mechanicals. Looking forward to launch in two weeks.