38 Commander with 8V53 discovered in Italy !!

October 10th, 2017, 10:42 pm #1

Antonio Maria Mazzella, who lives in Nettuno, Italy, sends in the first photo here, with the following note!

“And in alghero giorvagando for construction sites and workshops I met our in Billy Boo who is restoring his wonderful Chris Craft Commander 38 fly motorized with a pair of fabulous g. M 254 HP 2 times diesel... what to say... apart from the sympathy... the friendliness and the so much passion for his work... Mauro and his family are wonderful people.”

Billy (who shared all the rest of the photos) is in the process of bringing a diesel powered 38 back to life, and I’ve seen the video and I can say the 8V53 sounds awesome ! In 1967 (just to pick a year we know about) the 38 was about $36,000 with a pair of 427 Ford gas motors, but with the 8V53 diesels the price jumped another $20,000.
Thanks guys, for sharing the photos, great stuff, keep us posted on your progress.

Paul

In Alghero, in Sardinia, nearly a quarter of the population speaks a variant of Catalan, called algueres, as a first and primary language. The city is located on the northwestern tip of the island, just across a narrow bit of ocean from Catalonia, under whose crown the people lived for many generations. Thanks to its strategic location in the Mediterranean, Sardinia has seen kingdoms and merchant republics all lay claim to its territory, and has flown many flags. In Alghero, the official flag of the city today bears the red and yellow stripes of Catalonia.

Here is Antonio Maria Mazzella, on the left, and Billy Boo, on the right, with an un-identified gent in the middle. They all seem to be in the best of spirits, and I would be too if I was working on a 38 Commander powered by a pair of the big Detroit diesels. At 8V53 these are certainly not the biggest diesels built by Detroit, but they are very cool and most of them today seem to be found in Chris-Craft boats. The 8V53 designation means 8 cylinders, V configuration, and 53 cubic inches each cylinder. The 671 is a more popular Detroit, inline six, but you have to admit, a 38 with these is a special boat.

These photos are arranged in a rather random order so they don't represent a running progress report per se. However, looking through the images should be pretty revealing about the work being done and the progress being made. Good Job Billy !!!

More photos in the next post
regards, Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on October 10th, 2017, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 10th, 2017, 10:52 pm #2

Thanks for the photos Billy, keep us posted on your progress,
regards, Paul

October 11th, 2017, 1:14 am #3

ecco come lo facciamo!

October 12th, 2017, 8:54 am #4

Thanks for the photos Billy, keep us posted on your progress,
regards, Paul
But both styles are striking!
Cheers,
Marco