36' T/F Total Height for Transport

36' T/F Total Height for Transport

Corey SF36
Corey SF36

April 22nd, 2009, 8:47 am #1

Hi Everyone, I'm about make the final leg and bring my 1973 36'from Mobile to New Orleans. I've decided to just have her transported the 128 miles overland. I still have a few nagging fuel issues. There is one company that can transport a boat with a height of 15'. According to the CC essential guide my 36'has a height of 15'0". Should I let her go with the flybridge up or disconnect the wiring ,steering,stantions,etc and send her on the trip at 12'? This forum has much more experience than I do...thanks in advance Corey

Paul
Paul

April 22nd, 2009, 11:01 am #2

There's a lot of boat under the water on these bad boys!

regards,

Paul

Jim
Jim

April 23rd, 2009, 2:12 am #3

It must be much more expensive over land then cruising over on the gulf huh? $500 in fuel compared to at least 3 times that huh? Any reason keeping you from taking the water route?
best regards,
Jim

Glenn
Glenn

April 23rd, 2009, 12:58 pm #4

Hi Everyone, I'm about make the final leg and bring my 1973 36'from Mobile to New Orleans. I've decided to just have her transported the 128 miles overland. I still have a few nagging fuel issues. There is one company that can transport a boat with a height of 15'. According to the CC essential guide my 36'has a height of 15'0". Should I let her go with the flybridge up or disconnect the wiring ,steering,stantions,etc and send her on the trip at 12'? This forum has much more experience than I do...thanks in advance Corey

Corey, when we had 36 SF trucked in to Cincinnati last Oct. the driver had to keep it under 13' 6". Everything like street lights and wires are set for 13' 6" to clear. To acheive that, we had to disconnect the bridge and set it on the bow, it barely fit. The steering wheel, which was higher then the fiberglass bridge, still ended up a little over 13' 6".
Like Paul said, there is a lot of boat under the water. We even had a very low trailer.
I don't understand how the 15' will clear, unless it all highway.
Good luck.

Paul
Paul

April 23rd, 2009, 2:29 pm #5

The shipping company loaded the boat onto the trailer backwards for some reason and it is a wonder they didn't blow out the windshields. They did tear off the bimini, which on the way down ripped off a horn. They also cracked a small part of the keel, which I repaired fairly easily. All said and done, they ended up hauling the boat for free. Lets just say I was not a happy customer.

Removal of the flybridge is enough to make me really consider taking several days by water, even if they are 30 mile runs. Is the boat able to do that? If so, that might be the more fun way to do it, but if the boat is not seaworthy yet, that could be a whole other saga to avoid too.

Regards,

Paul

E.Sanchez
E.Sanchez

April 23rd, 2009, 9:52 pm #6

For whatever it's worth.I was charged over $2000.00 to remove the flybridge.
Eduardo

anonymous
anonymous

April 24th, 2009, 12:57 am #7

Corey, when we had 36 SF trucked in to Cincinnati last Oct. the driver had to keep it under 13' 6". Everything like street lights and wires are set for 13' 6" to clear. To acheive that, we had to disconnect the bridge and set it on the bow, it barely fit. The steering wheel, which was higher then the fiberglass bridge, still ended up a little over 13' 6".
Like Paul said, there is a lot of boat under the water. We even had a very low trailer.
I don't understand how the 15' will clear, unless it all highway.
Good luck.
Thanks for all the info, I'm going to take off the bridge. Mine was an after market and it's a bit smaller than the typical 36ft bridge so it will not be to hard. Thanks for all the imput. This should put her arould 12ft so I should be fine.

anonymous
anonymous

April 24th, 2009, 1:04 am #8

For whatever it's worth.I was charged over $2000.00 to remove the flybridge.
Eduardo
Because mine was an after market flybridge it's just screwed right onto the original hardtop. There is a large electrical block that is labeled so all I have to do is disconnect the wires from one location and disconnect throttle cables. The upper steering is independent from the lower steering. The flybridge is narrow enough that it will fit in my rear cockpit during the trip.

Corey
Corey

April 24th, 2009, 1:20 am #9

It must be much more expensive over land then cruising over on the gulf huh? $500 in fuel compared to at least 3 times that huh? Any reason keeping you from taking the water route?
best regards,
Jim
Hi Jim, We have had a problem with the Starboard tank, maybe the pickup. The gentleman who took it down from north alabama apparently got her to Mobile on a wing and a prayer. Maybe he picked up some bad fuel or ran the tanks too low? He did't leave us with much info at all, just his log and reciepts. She ran great across mobile bay but both engines killed on us about half way across. We switched over to one tank and she started right up again and we got her into a slip in Mobile bay. The port engine is not turning over but the star. is running fine, may be the fuel pump.
I'm thrilled with the 36 and still getting my feet wet with the larger boat and engines. A friend of mine who helped take it across Mobile Bay was amazed at how it handled 6&7ft seas. I'm heading out on some military duty for most of June and I just wanted to get it home in early may rather than get stuck in some marina half way home till early July. I need to run, thanks for all the information, I follow your posts and get great ideas from what you do with your 36. Corey

Kevin
Kevin

April 24th, 2009, 1:43 pm #10

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to take off the bridge. Mine was an after market and it's a bit smaller than the typical 36ft bridge so it will not be to hard. Thanks for all the imput. This should put her arould 12ft so I should be fine.
I think I heard that it would cost about $6k to send a 38 from Annapolis to Tenn. Wow.

Kevin