36' Name Plates

36' Name Plates

Glenn
Glenn

March 18th, 2012, 11:48 pm #1

Jim and all,

My name plated were blank from years of weather.

I have had them rechromed and now I need to paint them. I did see these on line and just want to make sure these are the correct colors?

Glenn

March 19th, 2012, 5:50 am #2

Glenn,

I can't help you with the colors. However, I can offer a couple of tips from my experience re-doing my "Styled In Fiberglass" name plates. I had the length numbers made up by a graphics shop. They were done in a thin chrome finish Mylar film and the shop was able to match the typeface without any difficulty. This was the same approach Chris Craft used for the original plates. After re-chroming, I just scuffed the surface a bit with some emery cloth, masked off and sprayed on the separate colors. They are about five or six years old now and still look good.

Keith

Glenn
Glenn

March 19th, 2012, 12:56 pm #3

Thanks Keith for the lettering ideal. I was thinking about buying little bottles of model paint, pour a little in each pocket I want to paint, spread it around with a small paint brush and a tooth pic.

Glenn

March 20th, 2012, 5:26 am #4

Glenn,

I tried the little bottles of paint and brush method and it didn't work for me. The paint just did not flow the way I expected it to and it just showed a lot of brush marks. Not the "enameled" outcome that I was expecting. I wound up masking and spraying the colors. I removed the masking tape when the paint was not quite dry and touched up the edges with a swap and a bit of mineral spirits. I used the same method on the front Chris Craft badge.

After

[/IMG]

Front Badge

[/IMG]

March 20th, 2012, 5:50 am #5

Jim and all,

I have had them rechromed and now I need to paint them. I did see these on line and just want to make sure these are the correct colors?

Glenn
"Giggity" did not have these installed when I bought her and am not sure they were ever installed on my hull but I did purchase a pair online very similar to the picture you provided above. Please share a pic of the install location and I will apply mine this spring.

I also purchased a pair of slanted Ford 427 name plates like these for the 65-66 Galaxies thinking that with the slant I could incorporate them somewhere tastefully:
http://www.dearbornclassics.com/product ... 5/image/0/
(sorry no pic displayed... photobucket is not working for me at the moment)

However, I just could not find a spot for them that looked appropriate so they probably will just remain in the drawer.

How is your wave smasher coming along? I took mine out for a cruise yesterday when the sun peeked out a bit and also got my dinghy up and running for the season.

Jim

Glenn
Glenn

March 20th, 2012, 10:05 pm #6

Glenn,

I tried the little bottles of paint and brush method and it didn't work for me. The paint just did not flow the way I expected it to and it just showed a lot of brush marks. Not the "enameled" outcome that I was expecting. I wound up masking and spraying the colors. I removed the masking tape when the paint was not quite dry and touched up the edges with a swap and a bit of mineral spirits. I used the same method on the front Chris Craft badge.

After

[/IMG]

Front Badge

[/IMG]
Keith,

Thanks, I can see the issues.

Glenn

Corey
Corey

March 21st, 2012, 5:14 am #7

Jim and all,

Glenn
Hi Glenn, I have been looking to pick up a new set of 36' name plates also. Where did you see them online? Thanks
1973 36'

Bob Koss
Bob Koss

March 21st, 2012, 12:54 pm #8

Paul, Corey & All

Try this link. I purchased a new emblem for DuckTales.

http://www.chriscraftone.com/Nameplates.php

Regards,
Bob Koss
DuckTales

Glenn
Glenn

March 21st, 2012, 1:13 pm #9

Here is another link,http://www.tradingdock.org/index.php?a=2&b=55

And there's also, but do not have any for a 36 right now.
http://www.chrisparts.com/nameplates.htm

Glenn

Glenn
Glenn

March 21st, 2012, 5:52 pm #10

"Giggity" did not have these installed when I bought her and am not sure they were ever installed on my hull but I did purchase a pair online very similar to the picture you provided above. Please share a pic of the install location and I will apply mine this spring.

I also purchased a pair of slanted Ford 427 name plates like these for the 65-66 Galaxies thinking that with the slant I could incorporate them somewhere tastefully:
http://www.dearbornclassics.com/product ... 5/image/0/
(sorry no pic displayed... photobucket is not working for me at the moment)

However, I just could not find a spot for them that looked appropriate so they probably will just remain in the drawer.

How is your wave smasher coming along? I took mine out for a cruise yesterday when the sun peeked out a bit and also got my dinghy up and running for the season.

Jim
Jim and all,

Here is a picture of mine.

It is 2-3/4 from strip, it is center of the strip from top and bottom.

Glenn