30-foot Hunt-designed Commander (PHOTOS)

30-foot Hunt-designed Commander (PHOTOS)

Paul
Paul

January 29th, 2017, 2:20 am #1

These fabulous photos are from Jeff Rohlfing, professional photographer, Commander and Whaler fan, and some of them appeared in the last edition of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club publication, Brass Bell (last issue) along with a multi-page article I wrote. Thank you Jeff, and thanks to Don McIntyre for sharing his family history and his boat with so many people.

Forged from the competitive offshore racing arena, a good looking deep-vee boat that has capabilities far beyond those good looks.

Regards,
Paul

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

January 29th, 2017, 11:51 pm #2

5 or 6 years ago you could find one of these beauties but the secret is out now. These are really special boats.

For the curious. Check out this model designed by the same Guy. (Jim Wynn)

http://huntyachts.com/coastal-series/ha ... arrier-29/

Maybe not quite the looker but apparently a worthy performer and modern construction.
Eric

Paul
Paul

January 30th, 2017, 12:25 am #3

Not a Jim Wynne design

C. Ray Hunt designed one boat for Chris-Craft, and a couple for Bertram. The 30-footer is the only one he did for Chris-Craft

His company lives on, under the Hunt name, and they subscribe to the deep vee hull Mr. Hunt pioneered. Hunt achieved fame by Dick Bertram seeing one of his Americas Cup service boats out in rough water and Bertram was quite impressed. He looked Hunt up and had him design one for him, and the rest is history because they eventually raced one called the Moppie and it was a winner.

Concurrently there were others using the deep vee format, and Jim Wynne and his partner Walt Walters were notable competitors, Wynne having won the world championship twice, and when he did so again in 1966 (beating any of the Hunt designs) Chris-Craft commissioned him to design one for them and he did.........it was the 23 Lancer (along with the smaller and larger Lancers of the same era all using the same format) and the 36 wood Corvette

Taking nothing away from the Hunt 30, it's a beautiful boat, and Chris-Craft built it far better looking than the one he has just previously designed for Bertram, and that's one reason Bertram filed suit.

The new Hunts are fabulous boats, by the way. Way out of my dream reach financially.

Regards,
Paul

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

January 30th, 2017, 1:34 am #4

Ray Hunt for sure. Had a senior moment there. You would think "Hunt Yachts" would be a clue.

http://huntyachts.com/discover/our-story/

Eric

January 30th, 2017, 3:15 am #5

When I saw the note I knew you knew, but I posted in order to avoid confusion with other members.
Hope you are doing well, hey maybe we can meet up at Lake Geneve again this year ?

Regards,
Paul

June 17th, 2017, 11:19 am #6

These fabulous photos are from Jeff Rohlfing, professional photographer, Commander and Whaler fan, and some of them appeared in the last edition of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club publication, Brass Bell (last issue) along with a multi-page article I wrote. Thank you Jeff, and thanks to Don McIntyre for sharing his family history and his boat with so many people.

Forged from the competitive offshore racing arena, a good looking deep-vee boat that has capabilities far beyond those good looks.

Regards,
Paul

What a beautiful design, if I didn't have so many boats already...
Is that old adage true?...He who dies with the most ChrisCrafts wins!