27' Commander Sportsman Express

27' Commander Sportsman Express

Ray Willis
Ray Willis

August 1st, 2008, 3:42 am #1

You may remember my posting a year ago about the boat we found in Alexandria Bay NY(GLAD). We are in the process of restoration and repower and have many photos coming soon.

We have found another boat with a similar hull design but it is a hardtop configuration with a single helm. It has the look of a catalina but is referred to as a commander and looks very similar to the 1969 spread on a sportsman express you featured in your pic archive. We have made an offer on the hardtop and hope it will be accepted.

"Real boats have rudders"

Ray

Paul
Paul

August 1st, 2008, 3:52 am #2

I could go for either one. The 27 is a lot more boat, in weight and beam, than a 23 Commander. The 23 Commander may be a lot more boat in seakeeping capabilities and other ways, due to the deep V, but still this 27 is ultra cool. A single motor in a 27 is going to put it more in cruiser speed ranges, but twins would be a scream. Either way, I still like the boat.

Looking at your photo of the hardtop, looks just like the 1963 through 1967 Ford Galaxie roof-line. You look at that big Galaxie Chris Wade posted a few days ago, this hardtop has the same roof-line and I like them both (the car and the boat). Nice job from Dick Avery!

Here is a flybridge model along with some photos from the archives of the open sportsman.

More photos to follow

regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

August 1st, 2008, 3:58 am #3

From the archives

27 open (Sportsman)

27’ Sportsman just like the one you are going after

27 FB

More photos to follow!

Paul
Paul

August 1st, 2008, 4:00 am #4

Jake Jacobs 27

Regards,

Paul

(more photos to follow.....................)

Paul
Paul

August 1st, 2008, 4:04 am #5

the big brother 31

The 31 is four feet longer but a whole lotta boat more, much heavier, much more robust, much more room, and much more weight too, but you can see the family resemblence, naturally because both boats were penned by Dick Avery (and both are among the best looking Commanders). Hey look at that roofline, just like the 27.

I love that Express FB 31! The 27 is a pretty unique boat, right there in between the 23' Commander and the 31' Commander. Awesome boats, all.

I hope Steve is not reading this, but if someone finds me a nice twin engine 27, either in an open Sportsman or hardtop, I would be hard pressed to resist.

Regards,

Paul

Chris Wade
Chris Wade

August 1st, 2008, 10:16 am #6

You may remember my posting a year ago about the boat we found in Alexandria Bay NY(GLAD). We are in the process of restoration and repower and have many photos coming soon.

We have found another boat with a similar hull design but it is a hardtop configuration with a single helm. It has the look of a catalina but is referred to as a commander and looks very similar to the 1969 spread on a sportsman express you featured in your pic archive. We have made an offer on the hardtop and hope it will be accepted.

Ray

Hey man,

Don't hog ALL the 27's.

Good Luck with the purchase and keep us "posted" haha.

Yours Truly, Chris Wade

James Brunette
James Brunette

August 1st, 2008, 12:20 pm #7

Ray

This 27 has to feel like a big runabout, because the open boat is a big runabout. Add the hardtop and it transforms into a small cruiser. Add the flybridge and it takes on a totally different character. Would make a great picnic or fishing rig.

James

Wes Stinson
Wes Stinson

August 1st, 2008, 12:45 pm #8

I like the smaller commanders, and the 27 is a really nice boat. Its like somewhere in between the "baby commanders" and the "big boys". Great looking boat!

Ray Willis
Ray Willis

August 2nd, 2008, 2:47 am #9

Ray

We just received acceptance of our offer on the 1967 27' Hardtop. Thrilled to say the least. It has twin 283cid/185hp engines in it.

I will repower with new EFI Crusaders. Anyone interested in buying original engines? Both run. Paragon transmissions. Meters show approx. 1000 hours on each.

Thanks again for the compliments everyone.

Ray

Paul
Paul

August 2nd, 2008, 5:47 pm #10

That is one SWEET looking 27. I asked Janet to take a look and she agrees. As a matter of fact, I think I could easily talk her into buying one of these. She likes the fact that it has a permanent sun screen with that hardtop, and I am nuts about the fact that you can get this one with twin V8 power. As you know, if a pair of 283 V8s will fit in this boat, any other small block will too, including everything up to the 383 strokers or the siamese cylinder 400. The character of this boat could be very robust.

I am reasonably sure you could have talked the dealership into ordering one of these with a pair of 327F, although the power offerings were a single 327F with 210 hp or a pair of 283Fs at 185 hp each. A pair of 300-hp small blocks would make this thing really fly.

You got a good one, congratulations to you. Nice choice!

Paul (and Janet)