2012 Antique Race Boat Regatta ~ Clayton, NY, August 17 - 19

2012 Antique Race Boat Regatta ~ Clayton, NY, August 17 - 19

Paul
Paul

June 21st, 2012, 7:27 pm #1

2012 Raceboat Regatta
August 17-19th Celebrating 20 Years of Vintage Racing

The Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc., knows a lot of people at this event, including some of the ones that appear
on the official poster this year.

In addition we have several members of THE FORUM who have their Commanders in the vicinity.

In any case, Clayton and the neighboring Alexandria Bay are wonderful little walking towns, this is a huge event every
two years. As far as restaurant recommendations, I would recommend Foxys Restaurant, you won't find it downtown in the
"tourist trap" zone, it is off the beaten path and the locals keep it going. Great steaks and very good prices on adult
beverages too, the food and service is MUCH BETTER than you will find on the tourist trap strip, the voice of experience here.
Look at this map to find the secret location ! Also look up and down the shore line between Clayton and Alexandria Bay.
This is boat country!
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs_ms ... a=N&tab=wl

Now for the boats.................I have perhaps hundreds of photos of the Race Boat events here on The Forum, and all I can
tell you is if you have never been to this location for one of these events, you are really missing out, so check that schedule!

regards,

Paul

Here is a photo I took 8 years ago

Here is a link to more
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... tta+photos
Last edited by FEfinaticP on June 21st, 2012, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Steve

June 22nd, 2012, 3:59 am #2

I can attest to Paul' recommendation of Foxy's in Fishers Landing. Good views of the shipping channel and some of the nice "camps" on nearby islands.
People would stop eating their dinners when we would pull up to the dock with our 67' 31 Commander Express.
Those were great times!!

Paul
Paul

June 22nd, 2012, 3:27 pm #3

Hi Steve,

I would encourage anyone interested in the region and boats, to look at the satellite view of the link I posted, as it first shows up as a map view but all you have to do is click on "satellite view". People don't realize the St. Lawrence is lined with granite and empties the entire collection of ALL of the Great Lakes, lots of water flow there, and deep enough for virtually all the freighters we see on the Great Lakes. Scan up and back between Clayton and Alex Bay, that it the mouth of the THOUSAND ISLAND DISTRICT, and just some fabulous country.

We were sitting at Foxy's and enjoying a meal and the biggest freighter we'd seen in years just cruised on by! Cool spot, off the beaten path, only way anyone would ever find it would be by mistake or referral, or perhaps like Janet and I did, just out driving around exploring and looking for more boats.

Always good hearing from you,

best,

Paul