2010 CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER RENDEZVOUS, on beautiful Lake Michigan, June 24 - 27, 2010

2010 CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER RENDEZVOUS, on beautiful Lake Michigan, June 24 - 27, 2010

February 22nd, 2010, 10:30 pm #1

~~~ UPDATE ~~~

This event has at this time, already come and gone!
It was a wonderful time to be in Northern Michigan,
and all the photos can be seen at the following link.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1276893358

The thread below is retained as it was originally posted.

Just when you thought we were napping!
Here is something new and very exciting.

<center>
Chris Craft Commander Rendezvous
at Bay Harbor, Michigan !
Join other Chris Craft Commander owners
at the very prestigious
[size=300] Bay Harbor Vintage Car and Boat Festival !
[/size]

this year and be a part of their very cool
"Classic Glass" sub-theme featuring fiberglass boats and Corvettes.

Guys and gals, this is very special.
I've promoted events in the past and I have worked very hard to deliver what has been promoted.
This is no exception, THE CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM will be actively promoting this event in close coordination with the organizers,
and we are putting together a fleet of Chris Craft Commanders to attend and join in with all the fun.
I am thrilled to be able to announce this event,
with a very special invitation to classic Commander owners!
The event involves some of the most respected antique and classic boat personalities in North America.
These people know boats, and some of them are household names to those of us who have
been around ACBS for years, as I have.

If you are planning a special event or perhaps your vacation this year,
this is an excuse (and a darn good one) to visit a special place
on God's earth, during the Summer Solstice!
The planets are in alignment, literally!

Check it out here, STAY TUNED, as there is much more to come!
[size=300]Click on THIS LINK for all the information !![/size]

[size=300]<a href="http://www.bayharborfoundation.org/vint ... 35/">Click on THIS LINK for the
Bay Harbor Vintage Car and Boat Show web site!</a>
[/size]

Don't delay!
Email me NOW at [url=mailto:ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com]ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com[/url]
for details and to get on the mailing list
for any updates.

Regards, best, Paul

Paul, all,

I would like to take this time to introduce myself my name is John Russell and I am the Harbormaster of Bay Harbor.

We do take reservations in advance 231-439-2544 if the boaters would like to come in early or stay late.
If you would like to email me a list of the Chris-Craft owners that would be great.

I have to move several seasonal slip holders to make Vintage weekend available for the function.
My goal is to have them moved by Thursday mid-day.
Enclosed is dock map for your review, typically we utilize slip A-100 through A-115 and slips A-148 through A-160 on shore.

All of the slips in this area are 50ft. in length except for the long flat wall.
The marina monitors channel 16 and switches to our working channel 69 to communicate.
Please feel free to call me if you have any questions.
I look forward working with you and seeing all of the beautiful boats!

John Russell
Harbormaster
[url=mailto:jrussell@bayharbor.com]jrussell@bayharbor.com[/url]
231-439-2545

Bay Harbor
http://www.bayharbor.com

</center>
Last edited by FEfinaticP on July 9th, 2010, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Brunette
James Brunette

February 22nd, 2010, 11:24 pm #2

Hello Paul,

I just now got two emails from you, thanks for the corrected link on that second email as I was trying to make the first one work when your second note came in.

This sounds like heaven. I will make every human effort to be there.
I know this part of the country, and you are so right, it is very special.

JB

Paul
Paul

February 23rd, 2010, 12:28 am #3

Thanks for the note and the kind words, James, it would be my pleasure to meet you there.

I'm not one to kiss and tell, but I just got an email from the owner of a fabulous boat that will really turn some heads at this event. During the next few months as the event gains momentum, The Forum will keep everyone posted, and of course, after the event we'll be publishing plenty of photos here too.

This is a very different twist on the traditional Commander Rendezvous format I've been involved with in the past, and although those events have been tremendous fun, this one will be something different, on a different level, and it has classic cars involved too. The walking environment is great, the hotel and yacht club are literally "world class".

I have been on Lake Huron a very few times. The photo below shows me aboard one of the boats in the photo, and that boat actually was SUMMER SONG, a diesel powered 38 Commander that came from Cleveland, Ohio, to attend an event on Drummond Island, just a very short distance from Bay Harbor. If Ron Smoker did it before, perhaps he is interested in some extended cruising with those big diesels again, heading across Lake Erie, through St. Clair, and up the entire length of Lake Huron to this very special place.

We're not going for a world record of boats this year, we've already done that. We're going for a world record of fun.

Regards,

Best,

Stay tuned !

Paul

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

February 23rd, 2010, 3:23 am #4

Anyone going by water needs to plan a trip in through Round Lake which is surrounded by multi-million dollar resort homes with boat houses full of 100 footers, then into Lake Charlevoix which is one stunning piece of water with all kinds of interesting history. I spent many a summer on the south arm of Lake Charlevoix at Eveline Orchards Resort where my great uncles Howard and Harry Taft owned cottages on 10 acre lake front parcels with 400ft frontage each. The resort was the brainchild of their dad Levi Taft who was the Dean of the School of Horticulture at Michigan Agricultural College before it became Michigan State. He was a pioneer in grafting specializing in apple trees, had trees that grew several different varieties of apples on the same tree. He proposed to his counterparts at U of Ohio, Ohio State, U of Indiana, Purdue that they cooperate on an intercollegiate project which turned out to be Eveline Orchards. They bought 100's of acres of land between Lake Charlevoix and Lake Michigan because the warming effect of the water extended the growing season an average of 40days. They also bought about 2000 acres on the south arm of the lake for resort property and the first parcel was sold to a Lansing Michigan banker who underwrote the project for $50 in 1909 with the proviso he build something on the plot within a year. There were no roads around the lake then and the resort had a cooperative steam launch named the Evelina to get from Boyne City where they left their cars to the resort property. There was no electricity there until after WWII and their water supply was an artesian well spring which was also routed through a stainless steel chest sunk in the ground which was their refigerator. Their winter home was on 4th street in East Jordan which has a good marina within walking distance of the historic downtown area. Uncle Howard's office wall on the second floor of the old victorian winter house was literally plastered with blue ribbons from the Michigan State Fair where they had booths to sell apples for over 50yrs. Most of their crops were sold at Detroit's Eastern Market which they travelled to daily in summer for many years in model T ford stake trucks on dirt roads loaded with apples. You are also close to Traverse City which is also a boating mecca.

Dave...

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

February 23rd, 2010, 1:06 pm #5

~~~ UPDATE ~~~

<center>
at the very prestigious
[/size]

I've promoted events in the past and I have worked very hard to deliver what has been promoted.
This is no exception, THE CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM will be actively promoting this event in close coordination with the organizers,
and we are putting together a fleet of Chris Craft Commanders to attend and join in with all the fun.
The event involves some of the most respected antique and classic boat personalities in North America.
These people know boats, and some of them are household names to those of us who have

[size=300]<a href="http://www.bayharborfoundation.org/vint ... 35/">Click on THIS LINK for the
[/size]

Don't delay!
Email me NOW at [url=mailto:ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com]ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com[/url]
for any updates.

Regards, best, Paul

Paul, all,

I would like to take this time to introduce myself my name is John Russell and I am the Harbormaster of Bay Harbor.

We do take reservations in advance 231-439-2544 if the boaters would like to come in early or stay late.
If you would like to email me a list of the Chris-Craft owners that would be great.

I have to move several seasonal slip holders to make Vintage weekend available for the function.
Enclosed is dock map for your review, typically we utilize slip A-100 through A-115 and slips A-148 through A-160 on shore.

All of the slips in this area are 50ft. in length except for the long flat wall.
The marina monitors channel 16 and switches to our working channel 69 to communicate.

John Russell
Harbormaster
231-439-2545

Bay Harbor

</center>
It is interesting that both featured the same small block motor and were built from fiberglass.

In 1964 all the motors offered in the Corvette were the two bolted main 327. These are great engines, and the lowest power rating for the 327 that year was 250. They had options to tweak it to 375 horsepower. Remember, this was before four bolted main bearing caps too. In the Commander the 327F was rated (at the shaft) at 210 horsepower, with a lower compression ratio, served many a Commander and many other Chris Craft boats both wood and glass, extremely well.

There are a lot of Commander owners who are also car guys. As a matter of fact, I dare say most all owners of classic glass Commanders are car guys. There were undoubtedly many people who drove these Corvettes to the marina back then. There are probably some still being driven to the marina. This should be great fun watching some of the Corvette guys looking down into a Commander engine bay, seeing their little V8 loaded with all that marine equipment.

We all know what Chris Craft was doing in 1964, but here are two links to show what GM was doing at the same time. Those were the days!

http://www.web-cars.com/corvette/1964.php

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1964-corvette1.htm

Some good looking fiberglass, but GM didn't rely on gelcoat like Chris Craft did. They used paint (like Hatteras), but with some brighter colors, lol.

While I am also fond of the early Corvettes, like the original blue flame '53, the single headlight 57 and the dual headlighted 58, this particular series has to be the icon of the Corvette line just like the 1964 38' Express is the icon of the Commander line. Putting these cars and Commanders together at a car/boat event, at such a great place, is brilliant.

Tom

Paul
Paul

February 23rd, 2010, 4:13 pm #6

.......it was in 1964. It was at a family picnic and my gokart ran out of gas. The owner of the car, a young man old enough to have just purchased it, volunteered to run me down to the local gas station to get a gallon of gas, and at the time I think it was something like 38 cents. He took a pretty girl with us, so young gokart enthusiast me got to share the passenger seat with the pretty girl. On the way back we drove up the steepest hill in town and I think he must have been in third gear, because he put his foot to the floor and the car shot up the hill with authority, but without seeming to rev very high or strain at all. Was I impressed, you betcha I was! I remember that event 46 years ago like it was yesterday. Amazing the impression cars (and boats) have on young kids!

It is for that reason we post links like We do it for the children!

When I was a kid on the docks of Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, looking at those mahogany Chris Crafts and Century's coming in and departing, making the gurgling sound, I was hooked for life on boating. I suspect many of you were too. For this reason any time we have kids aboard, be aware that you just could be contributing to a lifelong memory; classic Commander Boating at it's best.

Regards,

Paul

February 24th, 2010, 11:19 pm #7

~~~ UPDATE ~~~

<center>
at the very prestigious
[/size]

[/size]

Don't delay!
for any updates.

Regards, best, Paul

Paul, all,

John Russell
Harbormaster
231-439-2545

Bay Harbor

</center>
Ten years or so ago, Curt Radford wrote an article about how he was once snubbed
at an in-the-water boat show, when he showed up with a fiberglass Chris Craft Commander.
The article extolled all the virtues of the Commander series, and was one of THE FIRST published articles I ever saw
on the series. I devoured every word, because there was NOTHING on the internet about these boats back then.

Curt knew the value and style of the Commander series, but apparently nobody else there seemed to know or understand.
Things have changed, because this year we have been invited to attend this event!
Yes indeed, the organizers of this event, being some of the most discerning wood boat experts in the country and undoubtedly the world, recognize the importance of the classic glass boats now in this day and time, and the Chris Craft Commander, in particular,
has reached a point where these boats belong. They are so well built, well engineered, always used tried and true power options,
and they are styled to endure the test of time exceptionally well, thanks in a very large part to Dick Avery.

I think ACBS and independent shows like this are very wise, indeed, to include the classic glass boats, because this is where their future is,
with added interest, added members, and added strength and appreciation for the entire antique and classic boating movement.

To illustrate what a high position in life the
Fiberglass Chris Craft Commander has achieved,
just take a look at the winners from 2009, below, and feel proud that there will be Commanders in the water with this sort of company!

When you see Chris Craft Commanders "being invited" to the same show with a 1935 Hacker Gold Cup Racer, you know the Commander has finally arrived.

This year the organizers have added "best classic glass runabout", and "best classic glass cruiser"
in deference to the Chris Craft Commanders that will be attending!

2009 Boat Awards

Best in Show- 1953 Sheppard, - David Watts
Best Original- 1915 Ted Shea Courting Canoe, - Ken Kelly
Best Race boat-1935 Hacker Gold Cup Racer, - Lee Anderson
Most Elegant-1964 Whiticar Motor Yacht 63 Elegant, - Wilbert Hambert
Best Runabout-1927 Chris Craft Sugar, - Joe Reid
Best Replica1-1922 Fast Limousine,- Peter Breen

8 Honorable Mentions

1953 Renegade Iceboat- Jon Lofgren
1928 Replica built by Van Dam-Robert Forney
Replica of Hacker 31 Sport About 1954-William & Barbara Parfet
1954 Mayscraft Dayboat-Wilbert Hamstra
1929 Chris Craft-Thomas Ostendorf
1912 Fay-Bowen-Bill Ticknor
1960 Riva-Carter Pholman
1934 Flyer Canadian Race boat-Dean Dietrich

Boat Judges:
Thomas Flood, Mort Pomeroy, Jerry Vander Vusse, Diana Webb

Note: these guys noted above (judges) are the people who have placed a value on having classic glass boats attend this show.

Amazing !!

Regards,

Paul

February 24th, 2010, 11:52 pm #8

Hi Paul

Most of the older wood Chris Crafts that are not "show kept" and kept in the water, will be gone in another ten years. You only have to look at Craigslist to find a faded beauty for next to nothing, and sometimes for nothing. It is really sad that these classic designs will be no longer plying the waterways, except for special shows.

Not only does wood deteriorate if not devotedly looked after, but the mechanical side is now not worth doing on an average woody, because the market will still value it as an old wood boat. Most banks won't loan on wood boats.

That is not true for the Commander, same classic lines and made of "glass". Interesting that the fiber has been dropped for this competition/show.

It is a great step forward for the Commander cause. They are the defining moment in design history between the materials crossover in yacht building.

It is funny to think that one day our boats from the sixties and seventies will be the oldest out there running around.

Mr Avery you designed a timeless classic in the Commander.

Cheers!

Norm

Paul
Paul

February 25th, 2010, 3:33 pm #9

Your commenets about the wood cruiser fleet fading away really hurt, and it's very true, sadly.

There are few (considering the vast numbers of boats produced) that have owners really affluent enough to maintain them to the standard they should get. Most are sitting in the water way overdue, their hulls are fragile when placed in lifts, they deform when lifted, many fasteners are sheared off, and in the instance of the big 65-footer that went down in Lake Michigan last year, they are subject to springing a plank, breaking apart, and sinking fast. Therefore the insurance is sky high, they have a bad reputation, many marinas don't want a "wood boat" in their harbor, they're looked at as a liability, and most are being left to deteriorate.

I had a beautiful 35' wood Chris Craft Sea Skiff. We absolutely loved the boat. I went after all the maintenance issues, refinishing wood, replacing planks, you name it. It was a lot of work and the boat was totally repairable if someone would just DO IT. However, upon selling the boat the new owner basically ran it like a fiberglass boat, never tending to anything below the waterline, and now the boat is sitting in a pasture when only a few years ago it was in good enough shape to get a 7-page spread in Classic Boating Magazine. The trailerable wood boats, including the Sea Skiff line which never was really intended to last as long as they have, are much easier to maintain and keep in service, as many are garage queens anyway. Wood cruisers on the other hand are to be savored, because as you noted, they're dying off fast. Very fast in fact. In a few years there won't be many at all left.

I was really pleased to see such a strong wood boat culture in Seattle on Lake Union. I know there are other pockets in the US and Canada where the wood boat culture is strong, where people know exactly what they are doing, but here in Nashville if you own one you are left with very few choices. You can have ???? work on your boat or you can basically let it sit, or of course do it yourself like I did.

The Classic fiberglass Commanders represent a durable good that will last so long that time alone will not affect the integrity of the product. They don't rot, they chalk up a bit. Metal will corrode a bit, engines and powertrains will naturally wear like any boat, but the basic resin and fiberglass hollow box beam construction and overall integrity will live on just about indefinately. The quality of resin and glass construction on the Commanders is about as inert as one can get with this medium. It's been referred to as a standard to match by many, including David Pascoe.

When you see people taking these 45 year old hulls down to the bare structure and putting in many hundreds of thousands of dollars back into a restoration, it is a testament to the integrity (and aesthetic design) of these hulls. During Warren's total rebuild, I never heard him comment about spending one thin dime on the repair of anything with the hull, it was all cosmetic, ergonomic, mechanical, etc., but not a dime was spent on the strucutural hull even though the boat had been hitting waves for 40+ years. There is no wood boat ever built that can match that record.

I think the recent recognition by this very prestigious concours event, having actually INVITED Chris Craft Commanders to attend,
is going to go a long way establishing the Commander in people's minds as the icon and top-of-the-line classic it really is. In the years to come, I think all Commanders in good condition can benefit from this by having a higher resale value, and this would include all the sport boats built in Cortland like my little Sea Skiff, all the Lancers, and the small Commanders too. It took a while for the fiberglass Corvette to make a statemenet within T-bird, Jaguar, Porsche, and Mercedes circles, and of course it eventually did. However, the Corvette continued to be snubbed in the high end concours events, and still is by some.

The Commander will never really compete with finely crafted wood boats when it comes to overall value, provenance, aura, and collectability, but these are some of the best looking and best built USER BOATS the world has ever seen. They are bullet proof, indeed. Take a look at Bryan Huntley's 1964 Classic Commander Express below. If this boat attends the Bay Harbor event it would sure be a very close contender for "Best Fiberglass Classic Cruiser", because it is immaculate, in great shape, and it's older than some of the wood boats that will be there.

Here is another, it's Ron Smoker's SUMMER SONG. This boat went through a similar restoration like Warren Pateman's did, although it was done much quieter, Ron replaced the engines with diesels and rebuilt the entire interior, but it was not a total tear-out like Warren's project. The result as you can see below, is an EXQUISITE Commander Sedan, in pristine shape, and it is a bullet proof USER BOAT and not a prized dock queen.

A few years ago this boat ran from Cleveland Ohio, all the way across Lake Erie and St. Clair, and then cruised the entire length of Lake Huron to meet up with us within a few miles of where the Bay Harbor Rendezvous will take place later this year. Not too many wood cruisers are that much of a user boat these days, however there are many Commanders that are well within the capability of doing this very same thing. In addition, this part of the country offers some of the finest cruising water ever seen by man! It would be a "once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity" to get on this water and do a nice comfortable cruising pace, and enjoy what classic Commander boating is all about.

As noted a few days ago, one of the boats shown below is SUMMER SONG, and I'm aboard at the time the photo was taken. This location is on Lake Huron, not far from the fabulous marina, yacht club, and resort of Bay Harbor, Michigan.

If this photo above doesn't make you want to put your Commander on Lake Huron for a cruise, I don't know what will. This is truely "heaven on earth" up here.

Regards,

Best,

Its' going to be fun! June 24 - 27 !!

Paul

February 25th, 2010, 4:53 pm #10

Interesting the development at Tolly as he switched to "glass". The design wasn't a new approach, he didn't go back to the drawing board as CC did with Avery. Tolly started with cabin tops, back in the day of the CC Cobra. Fiberglass had hit the "scene" and Tolly quickly employed it.

He soon started building "pli-core" hulls, sandwiched core material which started in the early sixties until in 1971 they built their first "all glass" boats.

A rare NW classic Tollycraft designed by Edwin Monk Sr. One of six Discoverer models built. Launched in Kelso, Washington in July 1968. A Pli-Core hull in the same period as the all glass CCC, some borrowed elements as well?

This is the owners manual for my current love, in the classic Typeface - Dynotype from 1971

Juanita, as named at the factory, after the body of water Strait of Juan de Fuca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Juan_de_Fuca

From Wiki:

"The Strait of Juan de Fuca (called Juan de Fuca Strait in Canada is a large body of water about 95 miles (153 km) long forming the principal outlet for the Georgia Strait and Puget Sound, connecting both to the Pacific Ocean. It provides part of the international boundary between the United States and Canada."

I have not seen another open bridge model like Juanita. Being one of the very first glass boats to be launched by Tolly, and having twin engines pushing her to 45 MPH, must have inspired the spirit of her name. The Strait can be in your face on a rough day with the ocean blowing in and the wind blowing out - it stands up there on end.

Two sides of the country, and probably repeated many other places, as designers and builders followed the lead of Chris Craft. The Original

Norm