1973 Lancer 23 "almost Commander" hardware documentation

1973 Lancer 23 "almost Commander" hardware documentation

Paul
Paul

November 15th, 2010, 3:11 am #1

This boat saw a lot of salt water use, that along with the rest of the elements seem to have won the battle against the resistance of potmetal.

I have stockpiled these documentary images for my own use in searching for replacements, and I hope they may be of use to someone else too.

Regards,

Paul

November 15th, 2010, 3:26 am #2

Hi Paul,

I believe the round stern light, bow light and louver vents are easily found. The lights look like Perko products to me. I bought those vents from West Marine. Taco might have the rub rail.

Regards,
Greg Mason

Paul
Paul

November 15th, 2010, 12:03 pm #3

I know some of them look generic but I am hoping Perko, for instance, may well have been the OEM for CC on this boat. I'm hoping I can find this stuff for a good price, will make the restoration go much more efficient. That Skiff project for instance, had about $1000 worth of chrome on it, and when you look at the boat you don't see much chrome!

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

November 15th, 2010, 2:05 pm #4

This boat saw a lot of salt water use, that along with the rest of the elements seem to have won the battle against the resistance of potmetal.

I have stockpiled these documentary images for my own use in searching for replacements, and I hope they may be of use to someone else too.

Regards,

Paul
Here are the cleats used on most of the 23' boats, Commanders, Lancers, Monte Carlo's too. They are potmetal, as are most of the pieces on these boats. Real chromed brass was left to the big Commander cruisers. Note in this rather poor camera-phone photo, how the corrosion has literally eaten down into the fastner hole area on the left side of the photo, and it looks like a crack. It's not a crack, it is corrosion and it is so bad it is of a structural nature. The Zamak or whatever the metal was at the time, did its job, it was strong enough but it lost the battle with salt water. Many of these pieces will corrode whether they are sitting in a shed in Minnesota or in a salt-water fogged marina on the East Coast. The stuff just does not last that long. For repair, for pieces less corroded than this one they can be repaired and I suppose this one could be too, by sanding, acid dipping, removal of all chrome, and then once the corrosion is all eaten out by acid, by flame soldering a layer of metal over top of the pitted area, and then carefully sanding back down to the original profile, with multiple coatings of chrome,etc. It is expensive but it can be done. I am hoping I can find these new on the shelf somewhere, as I know they must have made many thousands and I am sure there some sitting in an obscure warehouse SOMEWHERE. The task is just finding that warehouse !!

Regards,

Paul

James Brunette
James Brunette

November 15th, 2010, 10:49 pm #5

Regards,

Paul
Paul I saw the note about TACO and took a look at their product line, and they have several extrusions that would do the job, and this one looks like a dead stock replacement to what you posted in your photographs.

A11-0317

6063-T5 alloy and temper is designed for easy tight radius bending as well as providing strength and protection. Anodized finish to protect against the harsh marine environment. Drilled and countersunk on 6" centers.

http://tacomarine.com/item--1-1-4-x-1-2 ... -0317.html

In addition they have rigid vinyl, semi-rigid vinyl, flexible vinyl, aluminum, stainless with a variety of inserts
http://tacomarine.com/cat--Rub-Rail--rubrail.html

JB

Paul
Paul

November 15th, 2010, 11:07 pm #6

It is very close, not sure about the lower lip extension, will take a look tonight.

Thanks JB, good find.

Paul

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

November 15th, 2010, 11:43 pm #7

Regards,

Paul
These are available with 12V and LED bulbs, from ten bucks to twenty five.
I am wondering if your bow light is CC OEM or if it was replaced at some point in time.

Tom

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

November 16th, 2010, 12:02 am #8

Regards,

Paul
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/ATT-14 ... =662769729

Side vent dead ringer Attwood Marine 1488-5

Tom

Paul
Paul

November 16th, 2010, 3:40 pm #9

I would have never dreamed these vents were available for $29.

And that bow light too, that darn thing looks to be identical, and regarding the comment about it being a stock CC part or not is valid so I will check that one carefully.

At these prices the Lancer restoration is looking much better. I recall spending something like $800 on the Sea Skiff just doing chrome, at $50 a small piece, and when you look at the boat you really don't even SEE that much chrome.

Thanks for doing the research for me, this is great.

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

November 16th, 2010, 8:47 pm #10

Here is the bow light off my 1973 23' Lancer. It looks like it is the same light on Mike O'Brien's 23 Commander.
Also, however, I see a 23 Commander with the same light as the 19' Commander! Now the question is, "what is the proper light for the 23 Commander", and did the Lancer 23 use the same one? Also we note some other deviation in the Lancer line, interesting how we can track this so many years later.

Here is an early model 23 Lancer with aft clamshell vents instead of the AFT louvers on my 1973, and torpedo cleats. The bow light looks different than my 1973. I believe the early Lancers used torpedo cleats, clamshells aft, and perhaps a more slender light fixture. The later Lancer 23 used the cleats I'm showing in my documentation, side louvers instead of clamshell vents, and it appears the same nav light as the 23 Commander.

I recall seeing an elongated nav light design on one 23 Commander and then the shorter version like my 1973 Lancer has on another Commander. More research is needed! I like the torpedo cleats, by the way.

Here is Mike OBriens Commander and the bow light looks the same as on my 1973 23 Lancer. He also has the torpedo cleats, hmmm.

Original marketing info with torpedo cleats.

Here is Wes Stinson's 23 Commander, and it has the teadrop torpedo cleats, and what "appears" to be the same or similar light fixture up front.

OOoops what's this nav light?

Uuuuhh Ohhh it looks like it could be stock Chris Craft, here it is on a 19!

Yup, it's original equipment allright, here is Chris Smith's boat.

And more...............it is amazing what you can find in the archives.

This concludes at least one thing, the light on the 19 was as shown, and it shows up on at least one 23 Commander.
Could this be the "First Year Commander light fixture"? Time will tell.

In any case, here is the big dog going into the 23 Lancer project, by the way. You can tell because it is the
Starboard RH rotation motor, can tell because the exhaust pipe is pointing to Starboard. The motor
will be shedding a LOT of weight, by the way. Those iron exhaust manifolds and risers come off,
and the 80-pound iron intake manifold comes off and a 27-pound aluminum intake goes back on.

Last edited by FEfinaticP on November 18th, 2010, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.