1971 42-foot Commander aft cabin

1971 42-foot Commander aft cabin

EH
EH

October 10th, 2005, 6:44 pm #1

I haven't seen one of these before and thought I would post it here on the forum for review and comments.

This one is in Butler TN for $68,000

listed on the Boatville site
<a href="http://www.boatsville.com</a" target="_new">http://www.boatsville.com</a>

So many boats, so little time!

Ernie

edit comment: image archived
Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 18th, 2007, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Rayson
Bill Rayson

October 10th, 2005, 6:58 pm #2

That model is thought of as one of "the biggest boats you can get for 42-feet", it has a LOT of room, a nice aft cabin, a great vantage point from the aft deck, but you're pretty far above the water. Some people like it, some don't. They're no good for fishing, obviously, but they are crossing the line from the "cruiser" category and into the "yacht" category.

Nice boats, I like them, but I prefer the style and less weight factor of the 38. For that extra 4-feet in length, you get a lot more boat, however, and a lot more weight too.

BRayson

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

October 11th, 2005, 2:45 pm #3

I agree with the aft cabin it's moving out of the "cruiser" category and into the little "yacht" category. Quite luxurious by my standard. I like to be closer to the water.

Dave

Rob Williams
Rob Williams

October 11th, 2005, 6:14 pm #4

Personally, on some of the waters I've navigated, I have no intention of wanting to actually get in, and the farther away the better. Different boats for different lifestyles.

Rob

Curt in Portland, OR
Curt in Portland, OR

October 12th, 2005, 1:42 am #5

Rear cabin boats are nice, BUT for those that like to fish, closer to the water is better. On our Sportfisher, the rear cockpit floor is about 8" lower than the floor in the main salon that houses the lower helm station. Having the cockpit floor lower means no handrail is needed around the rear gunnels and transom -- the teak toerail is just the right height to serve that purpose. From our cockpit floor dipping a 30 pound salmon out of the water with a net would be easy.

I think the cockpit floor on most Sportfishers is only about 5" lower than the salon floor, but the previous owner of this boat told us that this boat was when new a charter fishing craft in California, and the charter company had the floor of the cockpit torn out and rebuilt 3" lower.

We will be rebuilding the cockpit deck eventually, and are debating whether to set it at the original elevation or at its current elevation. The rebuilt will be to fix some dryrot, and to remove an unused (and we think aftermarket) water tank and create a lazaret area large enough to get down into and use.

Best wishes....
---

Paul
Paul

October 12th, 2005, 1:48 pm #6

Personally, on some of the waters I've navigated, I have no intention of wanting to actually get in, and the farther away the better. Different boats for different lifestyles.

Rob
Photo of Todd's nice and neat boat

Photo of my not-so-neat boat, notice the 8 deck chairs.

Photo of mine all torn up during teak restoration

Wes has his rigged for fishing and apparently spends quite a bit of time reeling them in. These shots show just how close to the water you can be when fishing. The 38 is'nt the closest to the water, it has fairly high freeboards, but it would make a nice fisher.

I love the design of the 38 regardless of what model it is, however, for my purposes in the temperate zone here in TN, we put that big open rear deck to good use. We put 4 comfortable deck chairs across the back, with a couple facing them, seating for 8 when you include the two fold up seats at the helm. That works great for our style of cruising.

As for the larger aft cabin cruiser, I'm sure I could get accustomed to that too. So many boats, so little time.

regards, Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on June 15th, 2009, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

October 12th, 2005, 11:14 pm #7

I haven't seen one of these before and thought I would post it here on the forum for review and comments.

<a href="http://www.boatsville.com</a" target="_new">http://www.boatsville.com</a>

Ernie

Thanks for posting the photos, Ernie, I just had the thought about pulling a couple V8 motors out of this boat. It would appear to be a rather daunting task.

regards, Paul

1966 38 Commander Express
Original 427 Power

Paul
Paul

January 18th, 2007, 10:39 pm #8

Ernie

This is an interesting Chris Craft Commander. It still has the sporting feel of a fast cruiser, able to attain speeds of nearly 30-mph, and it's also a big step into "yacht territory". The upper deck and helm station is a great vantage point. Unfortunately, many of these boats have been totally draped in all sorts of "full enclosure" canvas and ising glass, and they don't show off the lines of the boat very well.

Here's a 1971 model, with limited canvas. Nice !

I like originality in a vintage boat, most of the time anyway. The shag carpet is one area of originality that would last about two seconds after I acquired one of these !!

So many boats.............so little time..........................

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 18th, 2007, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

May 14th, 2007, 10:12 pm #9

Regards, Paul

edit comment: Photo added below, featuring Don Endres's ANDON, which has the optional hardtop. I have been aboard this boat and it's a beautifully maintained example of this model. That's Don (right) and Mike Schrage (left, owner of a 35' Sports Cruiser).

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on April 17th, 2008, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

May 14th, 2007, 10:26 pm #10