1970 60' Commander for sale.

1970 60' Commander for sale.

Stephen Swann
Stephen Swann

April 5th, 2011, 7:18 pm #1

I am needing help with this boat. I am a broker in Guntersville AL, the boat is located here on the TN river. I am actully needing help with the value of the boat. I am hoping there are some members on this site that could help me with this. I have done some research and I realize the boat is rather rare. If anyone is interested in the boat or has any good ideas about who I can market it to I would love to here your feedback. Boat is in above average condition, she is in a covered slip full of fuel and in great running shape. Please let me know if anyone has helpful input.

Thanks,

Stephen Swann
sswann@erwinmarinesales.com

Paul
Paul

April 5th, 2011, 7:53 pm #2

Hello Stephen,

The Essential Guide suggests they built 9 of these boats, and it appears not all of them stayed in the US.

I know Herb Pocklington produced many CC models out of his Italian plant, but the thought of reproducing the 60-footer in Europe seems far fetched, therefore I think the US shipped a few of the completed 60-foot hulls to Europe. This would have been more of a publicity stunt than a real money maker at that volume.

These boats were heavier and more expensive than the aluminum Roamer or wood Constellation counterpart, and I would think they would be on the market for a little more money than a comparable 55' Commander of similar overall finish and presentation. 43 of the 55-foot Commanders were built, we have one here in Nashville, they all had the GM 8V-71 motors, while the 60-footer had the 12V1N.

I don't know if bigger is always better, and not know how much money could be put on the "rare factor", especially when docked next to a nicely maintained 55, not sure you could even tell the difference in length by looking at the bow at the docks, they're both massive.

Good luck, send us some photos if you can,

regards,

Paul

John Kloka
John Kloka

April 6th, 2011, 12:13 am #3

My friend crewed on one here on Lake St. Clair for a few years back in the early 1970's. It belonged to Alvin Wagner, of Jefferson Beach Marina/Brownies Restaurant fame. It would go to Florida every winter. My friend says that the boat, big for it's time here on the Great Lakes, was a real head turner. He also states that the boat was grossly underpowered and a difficult boat to handle. Mr. Wagner went on to become a renowned yachtsman, eventually having yachts well over 100' custom built for him. They were named either Jefferson Beach, or Brownies...

FYI.

I wonder if this was his boat... quite possible, being that there were not many built. Unfortunately, Mr. Wagner passed away last year, so I am not able to inquire...

April 25th, 2011, 2:11 am #4

I am needing help with this boat. I am a broker in Guntersville AL, the boat is located here on the TN river. I am actully needing help with the value of the boat. I am hoping there are some members on this site that could help me with this. I have done some research and I realize the boat is rather rare. If anyone is interested in the boat or has any good ideas about who I can market it to I would love to here your feedback. Boat is in above average condition, she is in a covered slip full of fuel and in great running shape. Please let me know if anyone has helpful input.

Thanks,

Stephen Swann
sswann@erwinmarinesales.com
Here's a picture of the 60' Commander that's for sale on the Tennessee River at Guntersville. I knew the owner. He recently passed away. Although I've never been aboard this boat, I had been aboard his previous boat when he owned it, which was a 47' Commander Yachtfish. He kept it in pretty good shape, which makes me think this 60' Commander is probably in good shape too.

Mike

Paul
Paul

April 25th, 2011, 3:56 pm #5

Name please. Thank you.

Paul

Mike
Mike

April 25th, 2011, 6:00 pm #6

I didn't mean to imply that I knew the first owner. I only knew the last owner, who purchased the boat 5 or 6 years ago.

Mike

Paul
Paul

April 25th, 2011, 7:20 pm #7

If you know the last owner, it should be easy if just through registration and paperwork, to find out who the first owner was.
The first owner is a key to the provenance of the boat.

For a 60-foot Commander, of which nine (9) were made and two (2) went to Europe, that only leaves seven (7) other first owners in the US. That puts whoever buys this one up in a very select group, and that is necessary info.

Paul

Edward Jost
Edward Jost

May 6th, 2011, 3:17 pm #8

Here's a picture of the 60' Commander that's for sale on the Tennessee River at Guntersville. I knew the owner. He recently passed away. Although I've never been aboard this boat, I had been aboard his previous boat when he owned it, which was a 47' Commander Yachtfish. He kept it in pretty good shape, which makes me think this 60' Commander is probably in good shape too.

Mike
Please contact me

scott andrew johnson
scott andrew johnson

May 7th, 2011, 9:58 pm #9

Mike
what is your asking price? do you have more photos? thanks!

Mike
Mike

May 9th, 2011, 5:37 pm #10

I don't know the asking price. It's listed with Erwin Marine Sales in Guntersville, AL. I don't see it on their website, but here it is anyway:

http://www.erwinmarinesales.com/

Mike