* 1966 Commander Brochure (scans) ----> U P D A T E D <----

* 1966 Commander Brochure (scans) ----> U P D A T E D <----

Chris Craft Commander
Chris Craft Commander

March 28th, 2006, 8:30 pm #1

I wanted to add this note to be sure we are sending the right info to our loyal Commander fans and interested readership world-wide. You will see hundreds if not thousands of references to Dick Avery in our Forum. Mr. Avery, to my knowledge, penned all the Commanders in the entire line-up, except the first one which was the iconic 38' Commander of 1964. The first fiberglass Commander was designed by Fred Hudson, working with Chris Craft Senior Vice President, A.W. "Mac" MacKerer. I have a 1966 version of this boat and it is nothing short of spectacular.

Can you believe I paid twenty bucks for this stuff at the Mt Dora Boat Show!!??

(I had Commander fever when I saw it)

Paul

Edit comment
Here's another great scan that should be a part of this thread

For the Hank Bowman article referenced in the advertizement above, see the following link. We are very lucky to have been able to recently acquire this document.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1173461961

In addition, the link below is to an article in the March/April edition of Classic Yacht Magazine, authored by yours truely, 44 years after Hank Bowman's article, and everything they said about the Commander in 1964 is still true today! "The quality lives on long after the price is forgotten."
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1211428082

Edit comment
Ooops here's another one from the files, that should be consolidated here in this thread
Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 17th, 2012, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

March 28th, 2006, 10:51 pm #2

Some of this info may well have been posted already, probably from Bill Thomas, but just in case, here goes!

bill thomas
bill thomas

March 28th, 2006, 11:26 pm #3

I wanted to add this note to be sure we are sending the right info to our loyal Commander fans and interested readership world-wide. You will see hundreds if not thousands of references to Dick Avery in our Forum. Mr. Avery, to my knowledge, penned all the Commanders in the entire line-up, except the first one which was the iconic 38' Commander of 1964. The first fiberglass Commander was designed by Fred Hudson, working with Chris Craft Senior Vice President, A.W. "Mac" MacKerer. I have a 1966 version of this boat and it is nothing short of spectacular.

Can you believe I paid twenty bucks for this stuff at the Mt Dora Boat Show!!??

(I had Commander fever when I saw it)

Paul

Edit comment
Here's another great scan that should be a part of this thread

For the Hank Bowman article referenced in the advertizement above, see the following link. We are very lucky to have been able to recently acquire this document.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1173461961

In addition, the link below is to an article in the March/April edition of Classic Yacht Magazine, authored by yours truely, 44 years after Hank Bowman's article, and everything they said about the Commander in 1964 is still true today! "The quality lives on long after the price is forgotten."
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1211428082

Edit comment
Ooops here's another one from the files, that should be consolidated here in this thread
Really good stuff - I have some of these also. These and other photos and clippings I have show that the photo in the Essential Guide of the 38' Sport Fisherman is incorrect. That photo is a 38'Commander (express) with a Bridge. The SF has no cockpit railings and a center helm with the three-section windshield.

Paul
Paul

April 28th, 2006, 7:39 pm #4

Hello Bill,

I took another look at the photo you referenced in the EG, and my copy (probably a later copy than yours) shows the correct boat for the SF. My copy shows no aft rail, center steering, etc.

I'll bet the photo was updated during one of the several reprintings of this book. The Essential Guide may be "essential" but it's far from "accurate", but it appears to be improving!

It's still the best reference we have!

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on April 29th, 2006, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

July 20th, 2007, 5:37 pm #5

Some of this info may well have been posted already, probably from Bill Thomas, but just in case, here goes!

Here is a documentation of the original equipment, fabric colors, and configuration of the 1967 38' Commander Sedan

Note the readily identifiable center operable window section of the 38 Sedan.

Note the enclosed cabin and helm station. On this model, the helm station is an extension of the cabin. On the Express model, the cabin is totally self contained and the helm is essentially outdoors.

A close-up of the aft deck. This photo was taken in 1967 when smoking was a little more fashionable and marketable than it is today!

Paul

Paul
Paul

July 20th, 2007, 5:42 pm #6

Helm station (called "deckhouse" by Chris Craft), 1967 38 Sedan.

Galley, 1967 38 Sedan.

Dinette, 1967 38 Sedan.

Same view as above, with dinette removed.

regards, Paul

Paul
Paul

July 20th, 2007, 7:38 pm #7

regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

July 20th, 2007, 7:44 pm #8

The aqua blue interior is the same as what I have on our 1966 38 Express, FXA 38 3004 R, TRADITION. Seeing this photo gives us the assurance that ours is original.

Regards, Paul

Paul
Paul

July 20th, 2007, 8:11 pm #9

No aft railings on this boat, and for good reason! Note, the aft deck is also lowered to give better proximity to the water, for just this purpose. It makes landing a big fish a lot easier this way! Chris Craft did their homework well, no door in the transom, but probably just as well, because if they did install doors it would probably be a topic of repair questions today.

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on July 6th, 2008, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

July 20th, 2007, 8:14 pm #10

To those familiar with the 38' Sedan, you'll see this interior is identical to the sedan.

Regards,

Paul