Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

July 26th, 2011, 6:00 am #16

K-15 & K-19 SOARING & EXPLORING!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking the Rattlesnake and Seal Rocks nests 2-3 times per week. I haven’t really had a problem spotting the SR chicks; the RS chicks however, have been making it very difficult for me to see them.

But not this week!
On Monday, after a few hours of searching and knowing that they are so close to me because I could clearly hear them crying out from the bottom of the canyon, K15 (aka Ho'ihoulala) finally flew to an exposed branch!

After a while, one of the parents flew into the canyon, circled over K15 and perched on the opposite side of the canyon. It was the male, K80

Another 45min later, K19 (aka Robben) made an appearance too. He came flying all the way back from the coast so they have officially started exploring the coast, which will make it easier for boaters and kayakers to spot them.

Petty soon, I too will have to launch one of our kayaks and scan the coastline looking for them.

This is K19, whom I haven't really seen in over a week, flying right over me. These pictures were not even taken through the scope so he was really close!

Ravens were harassing him the whole time.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Family. July 18th, 2011. Part 1.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Family. July 18th, 2011. Part 2.

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.

Pat.
Nanaimo, on beautiful Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada.

All things are possible. Set your goals high. Be like the Eagle who soars in the sky .. Anon.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

July 31st, 2011, 11:09 pm #17

FLEDGLINGS EXPLORING THE COAST!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Hi everybody,

Chicks have started exploring outside of the outskirts territories this week.

The Rattlesnake chicks are a bit harder to find now that they are exploring the coast, which isn’t all visible from the land.

Pete hiked around all day on Friday looking for them and got some really good footage of the two and of K47, who was apparently watching the boat intently, (maybe hoping for a handout!)

Video by Eagle Guy: Rattlesnake Chicks. July 22nd & 26th, 2011

I also checked on them yesterday. K19 flew right in front of me several times. K15 stayed along the coast and his signal kept coming in and out as he traveled from the ridge and back to the coast.

Pat.

All things are possible. Set your goals high. Be like the Eagle who soars in the sky .. Anon.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

August 7th, 2011, 8:02 pm #18

UPDATES ON K-15 & K-19

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Hi everybody,

The chicks are on the move!
This week, many of the young eagles have taken trips outside of their territories and the chasing-chicks-around-the-island game has begun!

On Friday, I took a kayak out and headed for the Rattlesnake territory.
As soon as I entered their territory I spotted K80 and K47 perched really closed to each other; they were both keeping an eye on the fishing boat next to us that was giving out “hand-outs”.

Pretty soon I started hearing one of the chicks vocalize. It was K15, Ho’ihoulala.

As soon as one of the parents took off the perch, K15 went right after it. a little farther west into their territory I spotted K19 very briefly.

Video by eaglegal: The Rattlesnake Juveniles. K15 & K19. July 29th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, August 11, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have had quite a busy week trying to keep up with the youngsters who are exploring all ends of the island.

I have been conducting surveys trying to cover as much ground as physically possible in one day, however, there are times when the eagles decide to go to those areas I don’t get to visit in that particular day; and this happens often!

On Friday, I headed out to the Rattlesnake area and spent pretty much the whole day watching K47 and K80 fish near a fishing boat. I also saw K19 flying but very briefly so I don’t have a picture of him.

This is K47 perched at one of their favorite roosts a bit away from me.

Later on, K80 joined her.

K47 started fishing and was landing much closer to me.

Here's a video of K80 and K47 fishing!

Video by eaglegal: The Rattlesnake Eagles K80, K47 and K19. August 5th, 2011

On Tuesday, Pete and I headed out to the interior separately to try to cover the whole island in one day, and it turned out to be a very successful plan!
Pete covered the east end and later the west end while I covered the north and the southern parts of the island.
Right away, Pete spotted K12 (aka Aahana) hanging out by the dump near Avalon. Throughout the day, Pete and I got moving signals on every single bird except for K07 (aka Karis).

While I was in the south, I got moving signals on K08, K15, K18 and also K12.

By the time Pete arrived to the west end, all six eagles (K12, K13, K14, K15, K18 and K19) had made it out there as well.

It was pretty fogged out for most of the day at the places where I went so not much to photograph. But Pete got a really good video of the WE area and the soaring youngsters. Check it out!

Video by Eagle Guy: Catalina Fledglings Soaring at Both Ends of the Island. August 9th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Seven out of the eight 2011 youngsters continue to explore Catalina in search of food, perfecting their flights and mingling with other juveniles from different nests. Pete and I try to keep up with their travels!

As Pete drove on the west end ridges, he picked up the signal of all the juveniles except for K08. Luckily, I had picked out Scout’s signal the day before at Haypress reservoir, so everyone was accounted for!

On Monday, I headed out to the west end again and managed to get signal on all the birds along the way (except for K07 of course).

It was quite foggy so I wondered if I’d be able to see anyone. I know the birds were moving though because the signals where not coming from the same locations as I drove back home.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 :clk:

Steffani:Another week of keeping up with the juveniles and their travels on the island.

Pete has been off island this week and I have surveyed the whole island a couple of times and have managed to get moving signal on all the youngsters .. (except for K07, of course) .. but unfortunately no visuals.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have continued to radiotrack and search for the remaining seven juveniles left on the island. I don’t get to see them very often but I have picked up their signals in numerous places. They have been traveling all over the island.

I have picked up signals from K08, K15, K19, K12 and K18 still keeps making regular visits to the nest.

K13 and K14 have been missing (or on the opposite side of the island) for over a week.

Pat.