Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

May 21st, 2011, 7:45 am #16

NEST CHECK .. and other news!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. May 10-17, 2011 :clk:

Cueva Valdez .. aka Hazards Nest .. ~ Santa Cruz Island
Helen: Friday was a really fun day for me. I got to make my first visit to the Hazard’s nest.
It was a long hike, but definitely worth it. When I got there, A-16 was on the nest, and there was no chick to be seen.

After watching the nest for only an hour, I saw A-00 flying in from the coast, land in a nearby tree and then fly away again. A-16 stood up when he came into view, and flew off with him when he left, leaving the nest empty except for the chick. I was able to get a pretty clear view of it, although the heat shimmer made it less clear than I would have liked.

A little fuzzy, but the gray blob below the arrow is the chick.

A few minutes later, A-00 arrived in the nest with a big fish. He began feeding the chick, but stopped and mantled over the food as A-16 flew into the nest. A-00 snapped at her and she flew to a nearby branch, leaving him to eat and feed the chick in peace. After realizing that she wasn’t getting any of this particular fish, A-16 flew away.

Finally, A-00 finished feeding the chick and they both settled down. Excellent timing on their part, since that was just about the time I needed to start hiking out to get back before dark. What a satisfying day!

Fry's Harbor ~ Santa Cruz Island
We got lucky this week and were able to get out in the boat on the first full day on the island. We arrived at Fry’s Harbor, and were pleased to see A-46 perched on a tree.

While we were watching him, we got a wonderful surprise when A-24 flew down, scooped up a fish and was chased back to the cliffs by hungry gulls. Wow!

She finally landed below A-46

We got one more sighting before we headed home. Here are A-24 and A-46 perched together at Fry’s.

I really hope they stay around and nest next year, they are a fun pair of eagles to watch.

(Pictures courtesy of Don, Helen, Kim, Maria and /or IWS Crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update and lots of other pictures, click on the date.
Pat.
Nanaimo, on beautiful Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada.

All things are possible. Set your goals high. Be like the Eagle who soars in the sky .. Anon.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

May 28th, 2011, 7:03 am #17

NEST CHECK .. and other news continued!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. May 17-24, 2011 :clk:

Don: Another tour passes and so another update commences.
There were critters about, including eagles, and windy days and nights, but the real excitement on Santa Cruz will be starting around June 1st when we start banding some of the northern birds; Sauces and Pelican Harbor.

But for now we simply enjoyed the regular island sights while looking for and checking in on our regulars.

Don: Kim got out to check on the Cueva Valdez pair's nest near Hazards and the chick still looks to be doing well, though it seems so young compared to all the others these days. But that's just because it was a late hatching, like last year.

It will be banded around June 22nd.

Smugglers ~ Santa Cruz Island
Over on the south side of the island we came across what looks to be one of our newer pairs and seems promising for next year.

I don't think we have an “official” title for them yet, but for now we are going to call them the “Smuggler's Pair”, A-57 (female) and A-58 (male).

Their section of coast.

We were able to watch them for quite some time, including some attempts at fishing while a sea lion thrashed about with a large fish.
The gulls showed considerable interest too.

They were even kind enough to settle on a lower rock before we moved on. And they were still on the low rock when we passed back by.

Willows Anchorage Pair ~ Santa Cruz Island
Don: I spotted A-51 near Willows.

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. May 24-31, 2011 :clk:

Helen: The islands experienced very high winds, with gusts of over 70 mph at times and average wind speeds often blowing between 35 and 40mph. This made it impossible to reach the Hazard’s nest or go out in the boat, so I am sorry to say you will have to wait for next week for updates on both Hazards and the PH pair’s nest.

Don & Kim’s upcoming tour should be really exciting though, with banding at the Sauces nest and the new PH pair nest scheduled.

Malva Real .. aka Carl Nest .. ~ Santa Cruz Island
Maria headed west to scan from a new ridgeline near Carl Peak. We thought she might get a sighting of the Malva Real/ Carl pair, but they didn’t seem to be around.

Tuesday, I was able to hike all the way from Scorpion to Smugglers, scanning the coastline and canyons along the way.

It was a great day, made complete by seeing the Smuggler’s pair, A-57 and A-58. I was lucky enough to see them multiple times during my hike.

................. A-58 ...................................... A-57

Thursday, I went to the coast at Willows Anchorage, while Maria surveyed from just inland. We hoped to see where the Willows pair have been hanging out, but they never showed up.

(Pictures courtesy of Don, Helen, Kim and /or IWS Crew)

For complete update and pictures, click on the dates.
Pat.

All things are possible. Set your goals high. Be like the Eagle who soars in the sky .. Anon.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

June 11th, 2011, 10:27 pm #18

MEET .. A-75 ~ OAK CANYON EAGLET ... Official Name: ANACAPA

The first chick to hatch on Anacapa Island since 1949 has been officially named "Anacapa" by the NAC committee.
Anacapa comes from the Chumash word eneepah, meaning mirage island.

Hatch Date .............. Wingbling Number ............... Fledge Date
April 2011 ................... A-75 (M) .............................. July 1/11

Banded on June 7th, 2011 as a Female .. they got it wrong .. Anacapa is a Boy!

:clk: Anacapa Island Update, Banding on Anacapa: June 9, 2011 :clk:

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: June 7-14, 2011 :clk:

Banding Day at OC Nest: Tuesday, June 7th, 2011
Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

June 18th, 2011, 9:11 am #19

CHECKING AROUND SANTA CRUZ.

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. June 7-14, 2011 :clk:

Helen: This was an exciting week. It began with the banding of the Oak Canyon chick on West Anacapa. I still get a little rush of happiness thinking about it. It was the first bald eagle chick on Anacapa since 1949 and so the chick has been officially named Anacapa. Very fitting!

Helen: On Saturday I checked on the Hazards nest. The chick is looking active, alert, and healthy. I even got to see a few rounds of wingercizes!

Chick looking around alertly and wings flapping up and down.

While I was checking the nest, Maria went to the Malva Real pair’s territory. She walked along Johnson’s Lee to Punta Arena and looked at the unused ground nest they made earlier in the season. It was a poor excuse for a nest in the beginning of the season, and there is almost nothing left now.

The remains of the unused nest.

Maria didn’t just see the old nest, though, she got to see an adult orange-tagged bald eagle, almost definitely K-11, with only one wing tag on the right wing.

Wednesday was a quiet day, especially after all of Tuesday’s excitement. I took the boat out to the island and then surveyed on the south coast a little. I was lucky enough to see one very distant adult bald eagle far to the east of Valley Anchorage. I couldn’t get an ID, but it has been a popular spot with the Willows Pair this year, so one of them would be my best bet.

Naked-eye view.

While I was to the east watching what was probably one of the Willows Pair, Maria was surveying at their traditional territory above Willows Canyon, but didn’t see any.

On Friday there was some excitement. I decided to check get a closer look at the spot where I had seen a bald eagle on Wednesday. I was rewarded with an entire day of watching A-45 and A-51, the Willows Pair, perching and fishing from the east side of this spit of land. A-45 has lost his left wing tag, but otherwise both birds seemed well.

The circle shows where the bald eagle was when I arrived & the arrow shows where they moved after the 2nd one flew out from behind the bushes

This is the eagle I saw when I arrived (circled in picture above)

This is where the eagles spent most of the day perching (the arrow point to this spot in the above pic)

Meanwhile, Maria was down the coast checking another stretch of the Willows pair’s territory, but since they were over by me, she had to make due with seeing gorgeous coastal views, adorable island animals, and colorful island flora.

For complete update and pictures, click on the date.
Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

June 28th, 2011, 5:08 pm #20

CRUISING ALONG SANTA CRUZ ISLAND.

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. June 14-21/22, 2011 :clk:

Don: Well..., another tour passes and the end of the banding season comes to a close. Kim and I stayed out an extra day to help out with the banding, but since it was really the start of Helen and Maria's tour they will bring you all the banding news and pictures. Besides, I was babysitting the boat during the actual banding so for now you'll have to settle for the pictures I took while waiting. There are a few decent ones in there.

So lets get going on the images of the week on Santa Cruz Island. Lots of pictures of the island and its inhabitants. We hope you'll enjoy the tour.

As I mentioned after our "regular" tour ended we stuck around for the Cueva Valdez pair's chick banding at Hazards.

We were lucky to have a perfect boat day which meant a boat ride of less than an hour each way and a 15-20 minute hike, instead of hours and hours on ATVs and hiking over the North Ridge. But it also meant someone would have to stay in the boat after dropping the others on shore. I (Don) volunteered which meant that I missed the banding, but I had some fun of my own while they were on shore.

I got to watch A-00 (“Papa Cueva”).

And “Mrs. Cueva”, A-16, was just around the corner.

Helen and Maria will have lots more news (pictures) for you about A-76, “baby Cueva?”, in their update.

Obviously the parents were oblivious to the whole banding operation since they were on the coast the whole time. It's nice when we are able to avoid that added disturbance.

Went to check on the Fry's pair, A-24 and A-46. They didn't disappoint.

I spotted a pair of birds WAY over near the high point of Sierra Blanca ridge. I'm guessing it was the Malva Real pair, but for obvious reasons I couldn't read their tags. Or, for that matter, even see the color of them. (Ragged Mtn is the knob to the left, north, of the ridge where the circle is.)

Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

July 4th, 2011, 5:54 am #21

MEET .. A-76 ~ CUEVA VALDEZ EAGLET ... Official Name: HUTASH

Hutash .. The Chumash Earth Mother.
According to one legend, she created the Chumash people on Santa Cruz Island.

Hatch Date ....................... Wingbling Number ............. Fledge Date
April 25/27, 2011 ................... A-76 (F)............................. July 15/11

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: June 21-28, 2011 :clk:

Banding Day at Cueva Valdez .. aka Hazards Nest: Tuesday, June 21st, 2011
Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

July 4th, 2011, 6:56 am #22

UPDATES ON THE ANACAPA & SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS' NESTS & PAIRS.

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. June 21-28, 2011 :clk:

Oak Canyon ~ Anacapa Island
Helen: Thursday .. we went out in the boat. It is not often that we get this many good boat days in a row, so we wanted to take advantage of it. Also, it was a particularly good day, ie. very flat seas, so we were able to go to Anacapa Island to check on the Oak Canyon chick.

It is a closed island, so we couldn’t land, but we were able to scan from the water. And while we couldn’t spot the nest or the chick from our angle, we did see both adults perched in the canyon, so it looks like they are still taking good care of A-75. Excellent!

Here is Oak Canyon from the water (the circle shows one of the adults, the other was a little higher up and obscured by the fog) Second photo is a Close –up.

Wednesday .. after the previous day's banding .. Maria checked on the Hazards chick, A-76 who looked pretty good.

A-16 was nearby (nest is circled, arrow points to A-16) and A-00 was perched on the coast.

Saturday .. I checked on the A-76 (the Hazards chick). I watched for 3 hours, and saw tons of preening, hopping around the nest, picking at nest-overs, and of course lots and lots of wingersizes.

On the way to Hazards we saw the Fry's Harbor pair .. A-46 & A-24

On the way over to Anacapa Island we spotted the Smugglers pair

One of the Smugglers birds was on a cliff. The close-up shows it was looking at us too.

The other Smugglers eagle was on their favorite rock.

Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

July 11th, 2011, 5:17 pm #23

A-75 ... ANACAPA ... HAS FLEDGED!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. June 28 - July 5, 2011 :clk:

Kim: As you have been aware, the Oak Canyon/Anacapa nest has been enshrouded in mystery all season long due to its inaccessibility. To make matters worse, A-75/Anacapa’s GPS transmitter appeared to fail on June 12th! Premature transmitter failure? So soon?!?!

This week, at last, not only did we receive a few data points, but they show that A-75 fledged on (or before) July 1st! Whoo hoo! We are hopeful that his solar-powered transmitter had been sitting in the shade too long. Unfortunately the seas were a little rough to make the journey to Anacapa Island to check on A-75 for ourselves.

Nevertheless, we had a couple adequate boat days for shorter trips.

I hiked to the Hazards nest to check on A-76/Hutash. Still young for fledging, she was busy doing what eaglets do; perching and preening, rearranging sticks and perching some more.

Meanwhile, Don watched the adults, A-00 and A-16 perched on the coastline. Check out these fabulous photos!

For reference: (A-00 is at the top, A-16 at the bottom of the photo.)

We went westward along the coast, visiting A-24 and A-46 at Frys Harbor.

................ A-46 ....................................... A-24

I hiked up to the nest that we believe A-46 built further up the canyon, just to make sure they didn’t slip a chick unawares. I had a moment of excitement when I saw dark spot cast across the nest. Alas, upon closer inspection, I discovered it was just a shadow. Always hopeful.

Though they are consistently in the harbor area, we infrequently see them perched together. Today, they were seen sharing a branch before we left their territory.

Later in the week, we made it out for a second boat day.
On this trip we found A-46 perched in a cove east of his more typical Fry’s Harbor, no doubt trying to escape the holiday weekend boat traffic. Can you blame him?

Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

July 14th, 2011, 9:54 pm #24

CHECKING ON THE EAGLET & FLEDGLINGS!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. July 5-12, 2011 :clk:

Helen: Hi all,
It has been a quiet but pleasant week. The tour consisted of checking on all the fledglings, surveying in the Malva Real pair's territory, and checking on the Hazards chick.

All of the fledglings seem to be thriving, the Malva pair are as elusive as usual, and A-76 seems healthy and alert in her nest at Hazards.

Friday was another boat day. This time we went over to Anacapa to check on the fledgling there. It took a while, but it finally showed itself.
One of the adults was present keeping guard as well.

Anacapa as we arrived.

A-75 hanging out on the cliffs.

Wednesday: Went out in the boat to Hazards.

The Hazards adults were guarding the mouth of the canyon, and A-76 is looking healthy and alert.
Maria got off there and hiked in to check on the chick while I went a little further west to scan the coastline.

Hazards nest at a distance

A-00 perched on the cliffs east of the mouth of the nest canyon.

A-16 perched on the slopes west on the nest canyon.

Wednesday: Maria and I went out in the boat along the North shore of the island, then went further west.

We stopped for a while to watch one of the Frys pair as we went by there.

Maria surveyed along the beach in the Malva territory.
She saw one adult and one blue-tagged juvenile near Punta Arena, but they flew west out of sight as she approached them.

As was posted earlier ... the Malva Real pair are as elusive as usual.

Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

July 26th, 2011, 7:00 pm #25

[size=75][color=red][b] A-76 ... HUTASH ... HAS FLEDGED! [/b][/color][/size][color=red] [/color]

:clk: [url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/index.php?showtopic=6426&st=0][color=blue][b]Santa Cruz Island Update. July 12-19, 2011[/b][/color][/url] :clk:

[color=navy][b] Kim:[/b] Hello Friends,

Is anyone feeling the pangs of empty nest syndrome? Both sad and exciting, this week marks the end of a chapter for us: The last of the 2011 Channel Island bald eagle chicks has successfully fledged! [img]http://b3.ifrm.com/static/emo/14.png[/img] & :><: (Conflicted beings, we are.)[/color]

[color=navy][b] Oak Canyon ~ Anacapa Island [/b][/color]
[color=navy] Weather conditions did not allow us to make the journey to Anacapa Island this week to check on [b]A-75[/b]/Anacapa, but GPS data indicates that he is moving around Oak Canyon regularly.[/color]

[color=navy][b] Cueva Valdez .. aka Hazards Nest .. ~ Santa Cruz Island [/b][/color]
[color=navy] I (Kim) hiked to [b]Hazards[/b] on Friday to check on the Hazards chick. But [b]A-76[/b]/Hutash is growing up just like the rest of them. No longer a chick, I found her sitting on a slope about 40 meters from her nest.

[url=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/DSC_0036.jpg][img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/th_DSC_0036.jpg[/img][/url]

Her mother, [b]A-16[/b], remained vigilantly perched nearby.

[url=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/DSC_0037.jpg][img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/th_DSC_0037.jpg[/img][/url]

Later in the week, I returned to find A-76 still on the same slope, having climbed another 60 meters or so toward the ridge top.

[url=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/DSC_0097.jpg][img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/th_DSC_0097.jpg[/img][/url]

Not yet a confident flier, she moved about with flapping hops. ^"^ Just in the two days between my visits, her “flapping hops” were gaining more ground, and she had a bit more of the grace and coordination we associate with these majestic flyers.[/color]

[url=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/DSC_0098.jpg][img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/th_DSC_0098.jpg[/img][/url]

[color=navy][b] Fry's Harbor ~ Santa Cruz Island [/b][/color]
[color=navy] The [b]Fry’s Harbor[/b] eagles, [b]A-24[/b] and [b]A-46[/b], were stationed on their typical perches. So silent and still, I wonder how many boat passengers cruise by these island eagles, completely unawares. We sure are hoping this pair nests next season.[/color]

[url=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/P1070417.jpg][img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/th_P1070417.jpg[/img][/url][color=white].......[/color][url=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/P1070423.jpg][img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/th_P1070423.jpg[/img][/url][color=white].......[/color][url=http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/P1070441.jpg][img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/sharpe_01/Breeding%20Season%202011/th_P1070441.jpg[/img][/url]

[color=navy](Pictures courtesy of Don, Helen, Kim and /or IWS Crew)

For complete update and pictures, click on the date.[/color]
Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

July 31st, 2011, 8:59 pm #26

A-75/ANACAPA and A-76/HUTASH ARE ENJOYING THEIR ISLANDS!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. July 19-26, 2011 :clk:

Maria: Welcome back to another amazing update from the SCI kids!
We had a great tour here on the island checking in on our chicks. They are growing up so fast!

Saturday was just plain LUCK! Another wonderfully flat water day!
For this day, we decided to head out to West Anacapa to check on A-75. The weather was warm, a light breeze blowing and Bald Eagles Flying.

As soon as we arrived we spotted 1 adult flying, being harassed and landing in what seemed to be a frequently used cave for a perch. When we viewed the adult landing we spotted A-75 very easily.

This was on one side of the mouth of the nest canyon. On the other side we spotted the other adult keeping an eye on things.

This adult quickly flew and met up with its mate in the cave. A-75 still hanging out above and a little back of the cliffs while A-11 and A-21 looking cozy. :Hugs:

A close up of A-75.

We were able to watch A-75 for a good hour. When A-75 flew off and out of view we knew that he’s doing quite well. :)^

Thursday we took a boat day out to check on A-76 in Hazards Canyon and also A-74 at Twin Harbors.

Now that A-76 has fledged (YAY!) we are using our handy dandy telemetry to track her down. Little did we know it was going to be a surprisingly rough ride. Based on conditions we made only a very quick check. Safety first kids!

Maria hiked in to a specific area in the main canyon to check on A-76, but did not get a visual. However, while she narrowed in and scanned this area parent A-16 was constantly circling and calling over her, at one point swooping over her to tell her she was in the right spot.

She landed in a tree opposite Maria to continue watching. A-76 is located somewhere in the area of the trees in the center/lower part of this picture. I've got my eagle eyes on you!

Friday however was a day of water so flat we felt like we were on a lake! Helen and Maria decided to give A-74 and A-76 another try and this time we were rewarded with clear visuals AND photo's of both!

Maria first spotted A-76 flying off a boulder across from her nest tree to another boulder a small ways up canyon. A-76 from there flew to a boulder below Maria giving her a great view while concealed above a rocky overhang.

A-76 then crossed the canyon to land on a cliff near her nest tree.

............. In the air!.......................... Perched and beautiful!

In this picture you can see where she is perched in the lower right circle. The upper middle circle is A-76’s nest tree and the middle left circle is the tree where she flew to next!

We were very lucky that we caught her while she was so active!

Meanwhile, Helen was able to spot BOTH A-16 and A-00 just outside of Hazards Canyon overlooking the water.

For complete update and lots more pictures, click on the date.
Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

August 7th, 2011, 5:42 pm #27

WHO IS WHERE?

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. July 26 - August 2, 2011 :clk:

Don: My other major goal of this tour was to check on A-76, the Cueva Valdez pair's (A-00 and A-16) youngster, who is the last of this year's crop to fledge.
I was very fortunate to get a ride on one of the Park Service boats (Thank you, Ranger Randy!!!) to go see “Hutash” at Hazard's Canyon.

Looking up Hazard's.

Okay, where is that bird?!? Ahh..., I see you, A-76. Looking good.

I even got to observe A-76 make a short flight.

This whole flying thing is still a little new, but it looks like A-76 is picking it up just fine and has been exploring the canyon more and more.

On the boat ride back we had a very nice view of A-76's mama, A-16.

There was also a sighting of the Fry's pair, A-46 and A-24, but I only managed a picture of her.

Another interesting note, it would seem that A-57 and A-58, "the Smuggler's pair", are taking separate vacations.

A-58 has been spending some time on West Anacapa and A-57 has been over on the south side of Rosa. Now what's that all about?

Oh well, always more questions than answers in the natural environment, but then a little mystery is usually a good thing.

(Pictures courtesy of Don) (Click on thumbnails to see full size)

Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

August 13th, 2011, 12:31 am #28

UPDATE ON THE FLEDGLINGS!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. August 2-9, 2011 :clk:

Helen: This was a quiet week in a lot of ways, with empty nests all around the island.

Oak Canyon Nest ... Anacapa Island
A-75 has not been sending out GPS points for a week or so. Not to worry though, the GPS packs are solar powered, so it is likely not getting enough sun.

This is especially true if A-75 has started spending time in the small cave that both Oak Canyon adults perch in to escape the swarms of gulls at Anacapa. There wouldn’t be a lot of sunlight getting to the power pack there!

Sunday was really great because I got to see A-76/ Hutash, the Hazards chick. She was in a tree that was visible from the beach, but boy was she well camouflaged.
GPS shows A-76 is still spending most of her time right in Hazards.

....... Her tree ........................... Can you spot her? ..................... There she is.

Who knew that eagles had the ninja skill invisibilty! :ph43r:

(Pictures courtesy of Helen)

Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

August 20th, 2011, 10:18 pm #29

FOGGY CONDITIONS ON SANTA CRUZ ISLAND!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. August 9-16, 2011 :clk:

Don:The tour started off with some SERIOUS fog.
Needless to say, that didn't allow for very good eagle watching. And, unlike most times, this fog was going almost all the way down to the water.

Fortunately, the fog finally let up a bit and I managed to wrangle up an “assistant” for a day in the boat. I was really hoping I'd get a chance to check on A-76, our last fledgling of the year.

Along the coastline was the Cueva pair, A-00 (lower left) and A-16 (upper right).

....A-16, “Mama”...................... A-00, “Papa”.

And A-76, “Hutash”. She's making it down close to the shore these days.

And a little perspective of mama watching over her baby.

A little more deceptive perspective, they are still in their more distant positions (as above), but I liked the angle.

The first eagle we came across was A-46 near his usual Fry's Harbor haunts.

He made a move to a tree-top as we watched, but that was about it, and since we had a youngster to check on we didn't stick around long.

We didn't see A-24 around at the time, but I imagine she wasn't too far away.
I'm really counting on these two to nest next season, I'm just hoping we can come up with an easy way to monitor their nest. Hiking in to it is not what one would call anything close to …, umm..., pleasurable. :Melt:

(Pictures courtesy of Don)

Pat.

Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Cumbrian
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

September 1st, 2011, 7:55 pm #30

POPPING OVER TO ANACAPA ISLAND!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. August 16-23, 2011 :clk:

Helen: About a month ago A-75/ Anacapa’s GPS transmitter died. Transmitters are temperamental, and there are lots of reasons that it could have failed, but I wanted to check on little Anacapa anyway.

This involved getting out on a boat, but, for safety reasons we can’t go out alone in our little zodiac. Fortunately, IWS has great allies in the park service, and I was able to get a lift over from Ranger Merrill. A huge ‘thank you’ to him, since without his help I would never have gotten over to the island.

We went over to Anacapa, scanned the nest area, motored back and forth along the shoreline, and even circled the island. I saw many red-tailed hawks, some gorgeous sea lions, and even an osprey, but no eagles. I am guessing that they were either hunkered down a bit inland of the shore, which is not visible from the water, or more likely, they may have moved back to Santa Cruz Island’s east end. Maybe Don and Ania can solve the mystery this tour.

Here’s a shot of the lighthouse on Anacapa.

And of course the iconic Arch Rock.

(Pictures courtesy of Helen)

Pat.