eaglegal
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
eaglegal
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 5:41 pm #1

Hello everybody,

Another exciting and busy week on Catalina!
I have some good news and bad news (unfortunately) this week. The bad news is that the Rattlesnake pair has seemed to fail this year again. I checked on them on Sunday and found the female incubating, but I checked on them again on Tuesday and I found an empty nest.

We do not know what happen to them. I have not seen them around but I have not really searched for them either yet. If they try to breed this year again, it would probably be about a month from now. We will monitor their behavior around that time and hope that if they try again they succeed.
The good news is that many of last years’ juveniles have returned to the islands. This week we picked up signals from K78, K88, K70, and got visuals of K67, K79 and K00. (K73, K63 were spotted earlier this year)
On Monday, K67 was spotted on Santa Cruz on the Northern Island Helicopter Survey. Maybe she has been out there this whole time, we just cannot pick up her signal from here. We are glad she is hanging out with the ‘northern crowd’.

I found K00 being harassed by crows along the reservoir right after he had gone fishing.

They mobbed him for a while, even after he moved to another area.

K00 perched at Quail Valley

That day I also spotted K79 taking a bath in a puddle on the south side of the island.

This time, the ravens harassed it until it took off. I found her again perched on the same area I found the Middle Ranch (MR) pair a few weeks ago.

Her plumage has certainly changed a lot since the last time we saw her.

We sure hope all these young birds stick around, reach breeding age and form new pairs. There is certainly plenty of territory left on the island for more nests.

I have checked Twin Rocks (TR) nest a couple of times this week and they seem to be doing ok. I always find an adult incubating there so they must have at least one egg.

Two Harbors (TH) and West End (WE) nest are also doing great. We do not get to watch them much since we are in the field pretty much all day but we know all of you camera viewers are always watching and posting very helpful nest observations, which are greatly appreciated by the way!

Seal Rocks (SR) is also doing ok. I took a few pictures of their new nest location.
This is the view from the blind we watch them from.

A closer look.

Cont…

eaglegal
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
eaglegal
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 5:44 pm #2

Closer

I believe she spotted me on this one

We have checked on Pinnacle Rock (PR) nest every other day and they are doing just fine. It is relatively easy to check on them since they seem to turn their eggs so often, we do not have to wait too long to confirm that there are still two eggs in the nest (as opposed to SR, who, literally, take hours to turn their eggs).

I also made a short video of the PR nest

Another view of the PR nest from very, very far away

Closer (want to take a guess where is at?)

One adult landing while the other one is perched on the nest

We have checked the MR nest every day to find out what they are up to but so far no more nesting behavior. We have found them roosting a various different places but nothing consistent enough to determine where they will nest (if they do this year).

MR pair roosting on an oak at the top of the ridge

Now roosting on the eucalyptus trees above Quail Valley (where Tachi, the island fox, lives)

I have searched for new pairs on the south side a few times this week unable to find anything yet. We will keep searching though.
The Palisades and Salta Verde

On Saturday, Pete and I worked on Pee’ ech’s beak. It had overgrown to the point where it was making it difficult for him to eat. He did not like the procedure but he is much happier now! (I know he does not know that it was for his own good but I am glad he does not have hurt feelings against me for it).

Until next week,

Steffani

summer818
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
summer818
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 6:03 pm #3

Steffani fabulous update. I'm so glad the kids are coming back to their Island home! I hope the Reservoir Pair have better luck soon! Thanks so much for all you and Peter do for our eagles.

Ventura, California

My Visit With Baby Star 2008 K-83

Malibu - A98 (PH)

sandie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
sandie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 6:14 pm #4

Those pesky Ravens....hmmmm arm the transmitters with sling shots to help move then along.

Eagle Duo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Eagle Duo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 6:18 pm #5

Great report, Steffani! Can't believe all you do every week, much less every day! So exciting that so many of the 2008 & 2007 eagles have returned to the islands already. Love the pictures and sightings.

Sorry to hear the Rattlesnake pair had another failed nest. Hope they try again and are able to make a success of it. :X:
BC - K76m & A32f
FP - A64m & A49f
PH - K10m & K26f
SC - A40m & A48f
TH - K81m & K82f
WE - K01m & K91f

betsy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
betsy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 6:50 pm #6

Steffani, I love your posts every week and all the pictures. Thank you so much for taking time to inform us about all the eagles and the nests.
Betsy
Colorado Springs, CO

Lauri
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Lauri
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 6:53 pm #7

Dear Steffani,

Great report and fabulous pictures, as always!

Too bad about the reservoir pair... hope they try again next month.

I have to go to All Eagles, All The Time to keep track of all the birds you spotted this past week! I'm always glad when the "kids" stay on the islands!

Keep up the good work!

Lauri

cdn-cdn
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
cdn-cdn
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 8:22 pm #8

[color=0066ff]Thank you, Steffani[/color][color=0066ff]. The eagles are certainly keeping you and Dr. Sharpe busy! Sorry to read about the RS pair, plus the lack of activity from the MR pair. Interesting how the SR pair roll their eggs much less often compared to the PR parents. Loved all the news about the juveniles! [/color]
Cheryl
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

SoCal Lady
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
SoCal Lady
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 9:27 pm #9

:}^ STEFFANI --Your video of PR pair on their nest is loverly and I really enjoyed your photos of the nest from a distance--to closer WOW! Really gives us another appreciation for Banding Day hike and climb!

SR--The pair have a nice new remote location too--another challenge for you all, just like TR.

I am so thrilled to hear about all the juvies arriving "back home"! :**:

Welcome home K78(Sol) & K79 (Luna). So exciting that both TH juvies have survived into their 3rd year and both came home! K73 (Wind)-WE juvie returns home too--surviving into his 3rd year!

Happily K70 still has not left the island at all and that K88 from TR is back on the Island and has been for a few weeks now and K00 has also survived into third year! This is all just such happy news!

Karen

Sara Oh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Sara Oh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 10:16 pm #10

So Cal, I believe K-67 is one of last year's WE chicks. Excellent that she is back . Good they're all back! I'm sure it is gratifiying for IWS to be so busy tracking eagles! They are surely gaining in number, as it was hoped they would.

I don't imagine it was easy trimming Pee'ech's beak! Did you have to sedate him? Congratulations on 'Mission Accomplished'!
Sara O
Santa Barbara CA

SoCal Lady
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
SoCal Lady
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 19th, 2009, 10:29 pm #11

SARA OH Thank you! You are so right! K67 is SURPRISE from last years WE nest.

I looked up the WingBling Chart just now at AllEaglesAll The Time and found out that K63 is from the TwoHarbors nest 2006 year.

All great news for sure!

PS -I removed my question to Steff, in my first reply, so as not to confuse things.
Karen

bette
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
bette
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 20th, 2009, 1:19 am #12

I am so happy that so many "kids" are back or still hanging around. After all, the islands are their home.
Bette
Santa Barbara

Patti
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Patti
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 20th, 2009, 4:50 am #13

Steffani.....fabulous report this week. Very exciting that K78 & K79 are doing well. The thrill of eagles never subsides. Thank you so much for the great photos and all the news.
Patti/Camarillo, CA--Ventura County

Hope is the thing with feathers That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.
~~ Emily Dickinson

davetheagle
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
davetheagle
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 21st, 2009, 9:51 pm #14

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

:soar:

luveagles
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
luveagles
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

March 22nd, 2009, 1:03 am #15

Thank you Steffani and Dr. Sharpe for all your hard work.
Sammy

Luveagles Alta Loma, California
My avatar is Miracle