Christianity. Everything about it.

Debate your opinions against other members. Just be careful not to flame.

Christianity. Everything about it.

Ranulf
Knight
Ranulf
Knight

30 Jan 2007, 15:25 #1

The Bible. It didn't come by direct fax from heaven people, get over it. MAN wrote it.

Original paganism (worship of the sun gods, etc.) and Christianity were fused by the Alexander the Great when he was in the middle of his ruling period. For instance, your day of worship is sunday, correct? Sunday was the day of worship for the sun god, and is also the beginning of the week. If you're a true christian, start going to church on saturday.

Windlord
Elemental Lord
Windlord
Elemental Lord

30 Jan 2007, 15:38 #2

correction MEN wrote it.

they wrote it based on history, and the inspiration God gave them.

and the New testament is mostly just the disciples writing down the happenings that went on while christ was on earth.

sunday is just a name. and as it is called "sun"day because of the sun God many christians prefer to call it the Lord's day. we worship on sunday becasue it is thefirst day of the week (the lords day) and becasue Christ was resurected on sunday.

"You'll get no sympathy from me." -Ike

The Boss
Knight

30 Jan 2007, 20:11 #3

Well, I've already established my position on organized religion and christianity pretty well in previous posts but I'm always willing to give it another go.

I think the Bible is the single biggest load of crap ever written. It has no more validity than greek or roman religions or Incan or Mayan religions. They are all just myths that were written to help explain the world they lived in. Sure there are a few things that may be accurate but most of it is untrue and directly contradicts what we KNOW to be true, and possible.

Everyone give their all in this debate because I know I am. I'm bringing out the big guns on this one.

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine -

Windlord
Elemental Lord
Windlord
Elemental Lord

30 Jan 2007, 20:24 #4

see that's why this is kinda usless because though there are ways to proof what is in the bible is true, I do not know them all, and for most christians we don't need absolute proof to believe in the bible.

on of the ways to prove it's truth though is to read about the prophecies that were made in the old testament, whcih was written long befoe the new testament. in the new testament those prophecies came true. I know your jsut gonna say "well the new testament writers jsut wrote stuff in to make theprophecies come true." ahh no... they were writing about current events, not just some story they madeup, the bibles is a history book not a fiction. archeological records proove that.

ok I have one question I know alot of you thing Christianity is dumb and yur stupid if you believe in it, but all I want to know is why is it that way with only christianity? there are many other similair religons, why do you choose to pick of christianity? I'm just curious...

Anmoriazzah
Knight

30 Jan 2007, 20:52 #5

There isn't 'proof,' it's taken on faith. That's what religion is.

Even if the Bible isn't inspired in anyway by any form of God, you could still discuss it's usefulness in our lives today, especially considering it's the most widely read book in the world.

I'd be interested on people's feelings about passages in the Bible, in particular I Corinthians is the book I've been reading lately, and many parts of it quite simply offend me. Men should have a beard, women should cover their faces and shouldn't speak in church. I'm not condemming everything, just pointing out some questionable/contradictory areas.

Windlord
Elemental Lord
Windlord
Elemental Lord

30 Jan 2007, 21:09 #6

there is proof, but liek I said i don't need it to believe in the bible myself.

ok somethign you have to understand about christianity is that though it does seem very sexsist there are only about three or four religions that a less sexsist. almost all eastern relgions are way worse.

ok first off it says nothign about covering their faces... that's islam.

it says that when they are prayign thier heads should be covered it laso says that a woman should have logn hair, and a man should have short. the woman should have long because it is the same as if her head were covered, the man should have short so that he does nto cover his head.

this is somethign that even christians discuss among themselves.

as for what I think...

1st Cor. 11:13

"Judge among yourelves is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?"

durign that time it was proper to do certain things wheras nowadays what is proper has lessened, and has changed. also it's i na different location of the world where it's customary and normal for them to do things that we would find odd. so basically if you feel you need to cover your head when you pray then it's up to you. for a while my mom did, and then she decided that it wasn't really nescisary.

also I couldn't find anything about men having to have beards...

THE DON
Lord

30 Jan 2007, 21:12 #7

@TB you are entitled to your beliefs but are you saying its wrong to believe in something that helps someone grow up with good values and become a productive member of society? One thing that cannot be argued whether your a Christian or not the bible teaches good values and morals unlike our society today. To be completely honest it offends me greatly when someone insults what i believe in. Like WL said why is you choose to pick on Christianity is it because thats the only religion you THINK you know anything about or what? Like i said before you are entitled to your opinion and im not going to be biased because of it but just think about your choice of words in this debate, im not asking you to hold back im just telling you to stay your tongue when flaming something so many regard as fact. You can debate whether you believe or not without saying Christians believe in a
Load of Crap

98% of the population listens to rap. If you're part of the 2% that listens to real music, put this in your sig.
96% of teens won't stand for Christ -- if your the 4% that will put this in your sig

The catalyst of all change comes from within

Lyn
Lord

30 Jan 2007, 23:58 #8

Anmoriazzah @ Jan 30 2007, 12:52 PM wrote:

I'd be interested on people's feelings about passages in the Bible, in particular I Corinthians is the book I've been reading lately, and many parts of it quite simply offend me. Men should have a beard, women should cover their faces and shouldn't speak in church. I'm not condemming everything, just pointing out some questionable/contradictory areas.
okay, God told the isrealites in the old testament not to eat pig or bats or anyhitng like that (i made a rhyme!) and though some of us are like "he's taking away there food!" if you think about it, He was really trying to protect them from worms-round worms-nasty worms that can make you sit on a toilet for days and still feel hungry... :Sick:

also, like WL pointed out, society changed....hair was a big smybolic thing back when. :Fro: so was clothing, tassels, food, shoes....
They are all just myths that were written to help explain the world they lived in. Sure there are a few things that may be accurate but most of it is untrue and directly contradicts what we KNOW to be true, and possible.
what have you found that contradicts the Bible?

Moonwalker
Knight

31 Jan 2007, 00:31 #9

My comments on Christianity are the same as comments about every religion except for those who do not have divine beings (such as Buddhism).

1. You can not, as any philosophical group, be 100% correct about what you preach, hence why it is called faith. Who cares if the Red Sea split, how do you know 100% that God did it? Religions may have good missions, but since they rely on faith rather than fact they can never be 100% right.

2. In the same aspect, and philosophical group cannot be 100% wrong about their teachings. We cannot disprove that a giant spaghetti monster runs the world and we certainly cannot prove that your own God named Tim doesn't exist. Because religions cannot be 100% wrong, we cannot simply discard these beliefs.

3. Logic and reason must be present to some degree in a religion. God obviously didn't say that casual sex is wrong because he was in a bad mood, therefore it is unwise to teach it as so. There needs to be an element of reason to religion so that it isn't a bunch of childish babble about what this and that is made of. It's not wrong, but it certainly doesn't make your religion credible when God banned murder because it was a sunday night.

4. Because your religion is neither right nor wrong, it cannot be forced upon others. You may make choices based on your religion, but you must remember that the good of others mustn't be decided by your religion. Just because your deity feels that bowladromes are hell-holes doesn't mean you should try to ban bowling.

5. Religions must STRICTLY enforce and follow what they believe, lest they lose all credibility and utterly disgrace those who follow the religion. My main examples? Luther's 95 theses exposing the Catholic Church and the twisting of the words in the Bible to be used for hate.
Debate forum isn't stale anymore, I'm BACK!!!!!

The Boss
Knight

31 Jan 2007, 00:50 #10

what have you found that contradicts the Bible?
Ummm, well I think the internet would explode if I named them all so I'll give you one to start out with.

Jesus was born from a virgin. You can't be born from a virgin.

@TB you are entitled to your beliefs but are you saying its wrong to believe in something that helps someone grow up with good values and become a productive member of society? One thing that cannot be argued whether your a Christian or not the bible teaches good values and morals unlike our society today. To be completely honest it offends me greatly when someone insults what i believe in. Like WL said why is you choose to pick on Christianity is it because thats the only religion you THINK you know anything about or what? Like i said before you are entitled to your opinion and im not going to be biased because of it but just think about your choice of words in this debate, im not asking you to hold back im just telling you to stay your tongue when flaming something so many regard as fact. You can debate whether you believe or not without saying Christians believe in a
I will argue against any religion but the thing is, most of you are Christians so I am telling you why YOU'RE wrong. I also used to be what would be considered a very good Christian so I feel I am more equipped to argue against Christianity over other religions although I will argue against those too.

I think religion is an overall bad thing for our nation and our world. It steps in the way of science and our overall progress as human beings.

It is 100% ignorance and it perplexes me to think that I ever believed such nonsense or that anyone else would.

The Bible teaches good values but it also teaches bad values and the good value could be learned without any religion and I think that people would be MORE kind to other human beings without the Bible and religion.

The reason I am so aggresive and blunt in my attack against religion is because I don't agree with religious tolerance. People these days are too afraid to speak their minds and criticize other people's beliefs and we should be free to do that, especially against beliefs that are hurting mankind. I think it is time for everyone to take a closer look at what they believe in and engage in debates just like this one and stop being afraid to tell someone that they are wrong.

Windlord
Elemental Lord
Windlord
Elemental Lord

31 Jan 2007, 01:01 #11

My comments on Christianity are the same as comments about every religion except for those who do not have divine beings (such as Buddhism).
and yet i don't see a debate on jehovas' witnessess or muslims, nope just christians.
1. You can not, as any philosophical group, be 100% correct about what you preach, hence why it is called faith. Who cares if the Red Sea split, how do you know 100% that God did it? Religions may have good missions, but since they rely on faith rather than fact they can never be 100% right.

2. In the same aspect, and philosophical group cannot be 100% wrong about their teachings. We cannot disprove that a giant spaghetti monster runs the world and we certainly cannot prove that your own God named Tim doesn't exist. Because religions cannot be 100% wrong, we cannot simply discard these beliefs.
your right in a way, it you can't be 100% sure our faith is wrong. however the faith I have is enough to deside what I cannot explain with fact, and therefore I am 100% yes there are times when I doubt my faith, but those are the times that I realise how much it makes sense.
3. Logic and reason must be present to some degree in a religion. God obviously didn't say that casual sex is wrong because he was in a bad mood, therefore it is unwise to teach it as so. There needs to be an element of reason to religion so that it isn't a bunch of childish babble about what this and that is made of. It's not wrong, but it certainly doesn't make your religion credible when God banned murder because it was a sunday night.
I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say, but God doesn't make rules he makes guidlines, although asa christian I live by those guidlines as if they were rules. basically your not a christian so have pre marital sex all you want, I cna't really find fault becasue you are not my christian brother. and therefore what the bible has to say really has no importance to you.
4. Because your religion is neither right nor wrong, it cannot be forced upon others. You may make choices based on your religion, but you must remember that the good of others mustn't be decided by your religion. Just because your deity feels that bowladromes are hell-holes doesn't mean you should try to ban bowling.
first off we do not force christianity on others. we do however ENforce strogn morals, since the christian life (without the human imperfections obviosuly) is somewhat mor moral that that of a non christian it would seem as though we force our idea;ss on you when really we are jsut tryign to creat a healthy moral environment, and the only way we know how to do that is through the bible and what it says abotu how we should live.
5. Religions must STRICTLY enforce and follow what they believe, lest they lose all credibility and utterly disgrace those who follow the religion. My main examples? Luther's 95 theses exposing the Catholic Church and the twisting of the words in the Bible to be used for hate.
the only thing my "religion" must strictly follow is the words of the Bible. and it's kinda hard to twist the Bible around. yes it can be interprited differently, but it's really not too hard to interprit, and you can easily tell when it's being interprited wrong becasue it strays father and farther away fro mthe original text. also when that happened only the teachers had a copy of the Bible, and if they read somethign they didn't liek they would just change it to thier liking and teach as if nothig nwas different.

edit* to counteract TB

Jesus was born from a virgin. You can't be born from a virgin.

NO your joking...

ok that's what made Jesus
different, your thinking to closeminded. althoug hthat's not suprising, it mentions i nthe bible that mary and joseph were looked down apon becasueno one would believe that they hadn't comitted adultery.

basically Jesus is the son of God, God being his father chose mary to have his son, this doesn't mean God cmae down and slept with like the mythical greek gods did, it just means he sparked the human life of Jesus within Mary.

I will argue against any religion but the thing is, most of you are Christians so I am telling you why YOU'RE wrong. I also used to be what would be considered a very good Christian so I feel I am more equipped to argue against Christianity over other religions although I will argue against those too.

ok that's easier to understand, and I suspected as much.

althoug hI have a question What in (in your history of beign a "good Christian") is your definition OF a christian? and what made you decide to leave it?

I think religion is an overall bad thing for our nation and our world. It steps in the way of science and our overall progress as human beings.

do you think religion casues scientists to discover less if they are religous? well how do you know that theuy might discover more assumign God made everythgin instead of wastign thier tiem tryign to figure out howthe world was made?

The Bible teaches good values but it also teaches bad values and the good value could be learned without any religion and I think that people would be MORE kind to other human beings without the Bible and religion.

name these bad morals please.

"love your neighbor as yourself."
"love others as I have loved you."

how can you get any kinder than that.

The reason I am so aggresive and blunt in my attack against religion is because I don't agree with religious tolerance. People these days are too afraid to speak their minds and criticize other people's beliefs and we should be free to do that, especially against beliefs that are hurting mankind. I think it is time for everyone to take a closer look at what they believe in and engage in debates just like this one and stop being afraid to tell someone that they are wrong.

since you put it that way...

your wrong.

THE DON
Lord

31 Jan 2007, 01:19 #12

@ TB give me a bad value the bible teaches?

Also and fro the record you cant just say a Christian is wrong without any evidence to back that statement so far your arguement is pathetic you just say we are crippling society? just so you know THIS WHOLE FRIGGIN COUNTRY WAS MADE BECAUSE OF RELIGION!!!!!!!! you are ignorant and im not flaming but you havent shown any information of why you hate Christianity or any other religion beside the fact that it gets in the way of science. religion itself does nothing to science its leaders in office that cripple science so dont pin that on Christians while we believe on shouldnt "play god" it happens anyway so we really havent stopped anything.

98% of the population listens to rap. If you're part of the 2% that listens to real music, put this in your sig.
96% of teens won't stand for Christ -- if your the 4% that will put this in your sig

The catalyst of all change comes from within

The Boss
Knight

31 Jan 2007, 01:23 #13

since the christian life (without the human imperfections obviosuly) is somewhat mor moral that that of a non christian it would seem as though we force our idea;ss on you when really we are jsut tryign to creat a healthy moral environment/QUOTE]

That's wrong. I'll give you my sources when I get on tommorrow but states that are red states (and more likely to have a higher precentage of Christians) have higher rates of violent crime, burglary, theft, murder, teen pregnancy, and STDs.

Many of the most Christian countries are living in the worst poverty and have the lowest education, civil liberties and rights.
@ TB give me a bad value the bible teaches?

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.
Ephesians 6:5

God deems it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you...when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance upon those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They shall suffer the punishment of eternal destruction and exclusion from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might...
2 Thessalonians 1:6-9

You want some more?

Also and fro the record you cant just say a Christian is wrong without any evidence to back that statement so far your arguement is pathetic you just say we are crippling society?
I'm just warming up and responding to question I have been asked concerning why I target Christianity so calm down.
HIS WHOLE FRIGGIN COUNTRY WAS MADE BECAUSE OF RELIGION!!!!!!!!
Yeh, thats not a good arguement FOR religion. Remember the Native Americans? Well, Christians commited genocide against them.

Also, I'm not saying religion was always bad. It did serve a purpose at one time but we have no use for it now.
religion itself does nothing to science its leaders in office that cripple science so dont pin that on Christians while we believe on shouldnt "play god" it happens anyway so we really havent stopped anything.
Christian leaders are also against many things that could greatly advance our society as well as a lot of our political leaders. There is still very little money being put into stem cell research, something that has the possibility of saving or improving millions of lives at the cost of something that has the same possibility of life as the cells that fall off when you scratch your arm. Also just because Christians HAVEN'T stopped it doesn't mean they don't want to.

Windlord
Elemental Lord
Windlord
Elemental Lord

31 Jan 2007, 01:26 #14

it all comes back to the question you never answered...

what exactly makes a christian?

Firelord
Lord

31 Jan 2007, 01:44 #15

The Boss,Jan 30 2007, 05:23 PM wrote:
since the christian life (without the human imperfections obviosuly) is somewhat mor moral that that of a non christian it would seem as though we force our idea;ss on you when really we are jsut tryign to creat a healthy moral environment/QUOTE]

That's wrong. I'll give you my sources when I get on tommorrow but states that are red states (and more likely to have a higher precentage of Christians) have higher rates of violent crime, burglary, theft, murder, teen pregnancy, and STDs.

Many of the most Christian countries are living in the worst poverty and have the lowest education, civil liberties and rights.
using the people that don't do what christians are suppose to do is not a reasonablle fight although....

if what you say is true (i don't doubt it) the reason for it is because

PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!!

as human we are bound to fail, its what seperates us from God we can not be perfect like he is... but we can try as christians are suppose to do.

and that where God comes in.

if we choose to believe he is real, acknowledge ourselfs as the sinner we are and except him as our savior and that he sent his sin to die for us so that we could one day join him in heaven. we as christiands do and we (not always) strive to do our best to live sinlessly but because we exsist we are sinners. but because jesus die for us on the cross if we live by the bible(the best we can) and believe and except him we (as christian believers) can one day go to live with him.

if you got lost thats ok we're here to explain.
Psalms 37 v. 1-2

Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.