You go away for just a little bit and...

You go away for just a little bit and...

Kevin
Kevin

August 17th, 2007, 3:49 am #1

all hades breaks loose. Last I read this site was for CNAs. It is a good place where much can be learned, but it also a good place to vent. That is why when one of these nurses chimes in with their crap please for the love of God someone step up the plate and put them in check.

You know we work twice if not three times as hard as the nurse.

You know we provide 80 to 90 percent of the care the resident gets.

You know that a nurse could work 16 hours and still not do the equivalent amount of work that we do.

In the end the only legitimate I can see a nurse having is probably the boil she gets on her arse from sitting on it all day, or perhaps the boredom on not having much work to do.

August 25th, 2007, 5:42 am #2

I am a cna, I have worked with some great nurses who will answer call lights, help with putting residents to bed,and take them too the bathroom when you are busy. But, I have also worked with nurses who will not get up, and give a resident a pain pill when you can see they are in pain especially if the nurse has already passed meds. I have seen them sit and play computer games on their cell phones for an hour and your residents is still screaming for meds. Or they are on another hall talking about what they are planning this weekend. I have even seen them slipping out to the parking lot to meet their boyfriend behind their husbands backs. However I have seen cnas come to work smelling like a brewery, and half **** faced, I watched them go to their cars at break time and get stoned. I have seen them leave residents unattended while they run home to take care of a child, and be gone for an hour and a half. I have seen it from both sides. But the side that's works the best is when nurses and cnas work hand-in-hand together. It's called teamwork !!!!

lpn
lpn

August 25th, 2007, 11:05 pm #3

Very well stated, thank you.

Kevin
Kevin

August 26th, 2007, 1:01 am #4

I am a cna, I have worked with some great nurses who will answer call lights, help with putting residents to bed,and take them too the bathroom when you are busy. But, I have also worked with nurses who will not get up, and give a resident a pain pill when you can see they are in pain especially if the nurse has already passed meds. I have seen them sit and play computer games on their cell phones for an hour and your residents is still screaming for meds. Or they are on another hall talking about what they are planning this weekend. I have even seen them slipping out to the parking lot to meet their boyfriend behind their husbands backs. However I have seen cnas come to work smelling like a brewery, and half **** faced, I watched them go to their cars at break time and get stoned. I have seen them leave residents unattended while they run home to take care of a child, and be gone for an hour and a half. I have seen it from both sides. But the side that's works the best is when nurses and cnas work hand-in-hand together. It's called teamwork !!!!

Because you are CNA I respect what you have to say, even if I disagree. When a nurse goes bad then things can get really hairy. This is because of the responsibilities that they hold. They are able to interfere with your work while not even doing theirs, at some facilities they can even fire you. I have seen some lazy no good CNAs, but they are the exception to the rule. You have some who start off with their heart in the right place but due the inherit crap that goes along with the job they burn out. A lot of what makes this job suck is the **** we get from the nurses.

You rarely hear of nurses who get burned out over CNAs. They are the cause of the problem and are not a separate issue. Right now the nurses hold the power to make things better in their facility, but if the status quo continues eventually someone in congress is going to listen to us lowly aides and help take the power from them.

August 26th, 2007, 1:11 pm #5

Fantastic post. You stated both sides of the story. I, too, have seen both sides and have worked with so many both good and lousey CNAs and nurses. Unfortunately, not everyone who works in the medical field is conscientious, and honestly, I will never understand how some people can sleep at night, knowing that they have ignored people who are virtually relying on them for their very lives. Good CNAs really do feel very frustrated when having to work with others who don't care as much as they do and end up really burned out trying to take on more than our share of the load. It has always been that way, as far back as I can remember.

August 26th, 2007, 6:07 pm #6

Very true, MJ. This is why the nurses need to step in actually use their supervisory roles for good instead of puffery.