Working with the DEAF and BLIND CNA'S

Working with the DEAF and BLIND CNA'S

August 17th, 2006, 12:34 pm #1

I don't know about the rest of you here but I am tired of CNA's who do not conviently HEAR call lights and cannot SEE when a resident needs help. I have been a CNA since my daughter was 2 she just turned 13 and what a difference I see in the CNA's these days. Aside from the cultural differences which may account for the attitude,you cannot ask any of these people to do anything without them claiming discrimination. I don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catherine
Catherine

August 17th, 2006, 1:35 pm #2

People will always cry discrimination in every cultural. These days, you have to be sensitive to other cultural, for you don't want to offend or sound bossy. Unless LPNs or RNs say something about the call lights, there isn't too much we can say. It seems to me if the aides hear the call lights, then the nurses desk should hear them too. Where I worked, it was the LPNs who informed the aides that have their residents needed assistant. We were too busy in our rooms attending to the residents to stop everytime a call light went off, which seemed like all the times. We hardly had time to answer call lights due to a.m. care and getting all the residents washed and dressed. Also, as others had mentioned before, it would be nice if LPNs could help aides out, but in the real world, it doesn't always pan out that way.

August 29th, 2006, 6:26 am #3

I don't know about the rest of you here but I am tired of CNA's who do not conviently HEAR call lights and cannot SEE when a resident needs help. I have been a CNA since my daughter was 2 she just turned 13 and what a difference I see in the CNA's these days. Aside from the cultural differences which may account for the attitude,you cannot ask any of these people to do anything without them claiming discrimination. I don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I get to the floor, I check out all of the residents first and foremost, to see if there is anything I should do before starting my rounds, while the other aides stand at the desk and talk. I can walk by a room and notice if a resident needs something, or is about to need something, even before they put the call light on. I feel that if you can keep a constant watch on all of your residents, then you can anticipate everything you need to do. I hate to tell other people what to do, but if I am busy, and I hear a call light or an alarm going off, I will YELL out to the other aide sitting at the desk that so and so needs this and I cannot get there, can you go see what they want please? I know I should not have to tell them to do that, but it is the only way to get things done. I have never had anyone tell me to do this or that, because I am already doing it. If you want your unit to run smoothly, someone is going to have to be the boss. And if you know the residents the best, it has to be you.