Working Wihtout Supplies:

Working Wihtout Supplies:

Gail
Gail

November 7th, 2008, 5:02 pm #1

hi everyone,its been awhile since i posted my own message,so here it goes.i work in a nursing home here in missouri and i really love my job and the residents and most of the people i work with.well thease past few months it seems that we never have anything to work with.laundry is in such a dissarray thease days,we barely have any linens if any thease days but that depends on who they have in laundry for that night.and as for our briefs and such well thease past few weeks they just have forgotten to order them or they dont order enough.we are having to use briefs that is way too small for alot of the residents if they even fit them at all or fasten,and when asked about them we are told that "we are using way too many briefs and thats why we run out".ok #1 if we are using way too many then that should tell them that our residents are never wet or dirty and #2 we are not putting them to bed with briefs on.i just donot think im giving my residents the quality care that they so much deserve without supplies to work with.they keep telling us that if we have comp[laints or ideas then come to them and talk to them about it but in a inservice our so called administrater asked the same question if we have ideas or complaints and one of the cna's had a idea then it turned into a all out fight to where he was kicked out of the meeting.they never listen to any of us.we had a shift meeting last week and we was asking them about a hall we have that has something like 18 residents to 1 cna and we and our nurse was telling them how it is impossible to give those deserving residents the care they need and deserve because of the work load for that 1 cna and the only thing the administrater could say was "well if you guys would not all eat dinner at 6:30(which we dont) and help each other then it wont be that bad' we was like well ok then,we will figure it out on our own,this is the same administrater that made a big deal out of a few of us for not clapping in a meeting when she anounced a .60 cent raise(which we already was told about that 2 meetings prior to her telling us).i dunno.i was just woundering if anyone else has this problem

Shelley
Shelley

November 7th, 2008, 9:17 pm #2

I can not even imagine working in those conditions. Where I work we have either 7 or 9 residents to 1 CNA on the 7-3 shift. That is the shift i work. We have no problems with supplies..if we need something we call for it and we get it. I would report this place. There is no reason for this to be going on. Good luck.

November 12th, 2008, 3:00 pm #3

one good thing about where I work, is we almost never run low on supplies. sounds like your upper's are the same as mine, headsinbutt complex.

November 13th, 2008, 6:38 am #4

hi everyone,its been awhile since i posted my own message,so here it goes.i work in a nursing home here in missouri and i really love my job and the residents and most of the people i work with.well thease past few months it seems that we never have anything to work with.laundry is in such a dissarray thease days,we barely have any linens if any thease days but that depends on who they have in laundry for that night.and as for our briefs and such well thease past few weeks they just have forgotten to order them or they dont order enough.we are having to use briefs that is way too small for alot of the residents if they even fit them at all or fasten,and when asked about them we are told that "we are using way too many briefs and thats why we run out".ok #1 if we are using way too many then that should tell them that our residents are never wet or dirty and #2 we are not putting them to bed with briefs on.i just donot think im giving my residents the quality care that they so much deserve without supplies to work with.they keep telling us that if we have comp[laints or ideas then come to them and talk to them about it but in a inservice our so called administrater asked the same question if we have ideas or complaints and one of the cna's had a idea then it turned into a all out fight to where he was kicked out of the meeting.they never listen to any of us.we had a shift meeting last week and we was asking them about a hall we have that has something like 18 residents to 1 cna and we and our nurse was telling them how it is impossible to give those deserving residents the care they need and deserve because of the work load for that 1 cna and the only thing the administrater could say was "well if you guys would not all eat dinner at 6:30(which we dont) and help each other then it wont be that bad' we was like well ok then,we will figure it out on our own,this is the same administrater that made a big deal out of a few of us for not clapping in a meeting when she anounced a .60 cent raise(which we already was told about that 2 meetings prior to her telling us).i dunno.i was just woundering if anyone else has this problem
not only do we have enough supplies laundry put out new pads and sheets, we are in our survey window but we have had adequet (sp) supplies for the last year. we don't supply briefs so we change pads on rounds, every 2 hours, but our skin is pretty good.we just had one pass, her butt wan't good but she wasn't eating and things won't heal if there isn't any nourishment going in. cencus is down so they are cuting hours, see not venting.

Pam
Pam

November 15th, 2008, 2:13 am #5

I worked at a facility were supplies were sparse. Why? Because the Nursing Home basically stiffed every supply company they ordered from. As a result, we only had one supplier, who would not deliver ANYTHING until the bill was paid in advance. This facility never had any money, and had new owners every 6 months. At the end of the year, I would get at least 2 W2's from the same employer!

Laundry never sent up enough towels and washcloths. There were never enough sheets and bed pads. We would have to determine whose bed was the dirtiest. Whoever had the dirtiest bed got a bed change. Needless to say, those who recieved showers, did not always have a crisp clean bed to sleep in afterwards. Speaking of showers, there were days that some of my residents could not get showers because there were not enough towels and washcloths to bath them with! By the time the clean linens arrived, the shift was already over. Those linens were intended for the next shift.

The administrator and DON would come down on us hard sometimes. Saying we were not cleaning the residents like we should. How could we? We had nothing to work with! The residents were greatful for what we could do-and voiced thier concerns during resident meetings. The problem was, Administration would come down on us, as if we were the one's responsible for the supplies. I can remember days where we had to tape two breifs together to fit one resident because they ran out of large breifs. This also created problems because #1-that is abuse and #2-residents often had accidents through the "too small" breifs creating an even bigger problem.

It is sad that residents pay hundreds of dollars a day to be somewhere and the facility didn't have adequate supplies to meet the demand.