What's reasonable for day shift?

What's reasonable for day shift?

August 28th, 2007, 3:35 pm #1

We've been working with a 12:1 ratio on day shift. When we confront mgt and ask for one more aide of the floor, they refuse. When people take tours of the facility they are told the ratio on day shift is 8:1 (like it is suppose to be). When can we do? We've told them it is an unreasonable workload, but it falls on deaf ears.

westindiancna
westindiancna

August 28th, 2007, 4:38 pm #2

Where i work, day shift is 6-1 and 5 aides.

debi
debi

August 28th, 2007, 11:30 pm #3

We've been working with a 12:1 ratio on day shift. When we confront mgt and ask for one more aide of the floor, they refuse. When people take tours of the facility they are told the ratio on day shift is 8:1 (like it is suppose to be). When can we do? We've told them it is an unreasonable workload, but it falls on deaf ears.
Similar here in south GA. CNA'S resident/staff ratio is 8-12 : 1 - this is DAY shift !

50 percent is total care, 40 percent is moderate care, and 10 percent supervision only.

Can any one person take 12 elderly people HOME with them and get everything done in 8 hours? NO.

This is not counting interruptions from physicians, FAMILY MEMBERS, supervisors and helping other coworkers from all the friggin call ins.

I am a LPN, yes, a LPN. I have been one for over 20 years. My nursing philosophy is to keep the residents happy. I do medication pass and charge nurse on my hall. I do my own vital signs. I help pass out trays, help feed residents. I help pass out ice on my hall. I help make beds. And I have taken residents to the shower to help out. I have changed briefs, cleaned up any thing you could imagine from a resident. I have stepped in with a stressed out CNA with a agitated resident and helped.

All this and of course I get behind in MY work. NO support from department heads, they feel I am 'doing all their work for them.' They regard me as
buddying up with the CNA's, and as such, have very little kindness towards me- usually go home to eat lunch alone.

My CNA's know I have my ways, and have come to expect me to make sure that we -as a TEAM- do the best we can do with all of our resoources combined, to make sure the residents neeeds are met. Imagine my horror one day with 2 call ins on my hall, with one CNA to 28 residents......

I help my CNA's for the residents. I have little time to cater to families complaints about 'mothers hair was not brushed correctly' or 'mother needs to get out of bed (200 pounds), and back in bed'- every other hour .

I do NOT do the CNA's work FOR THEM. I help them the best way I can. I know they appreciate it, and I damn sure know the residents appreciate it.

The new CNA's, in the younger generation that come to work with a chip on their shoulders with the attitude "we do all the work and you get all the pay............"

I simply brush the chip off their shoulder by telling them, "come here I want to show you something......." lead them to a mirror in a residents bathroom and have them look at themselves. I then say, "there is the person right there that can go to school, get a nursing degree, make more money and help ME the hell out for a change."

It never fails.......

post note:
Looking at my social security earnings record for the year 2007:
My last years earnings are only approx. $ 1,500.00 more than the year 1994.
I only make approx. $23,000.00 -25,000.00 per year.

If you want hard work, little appreciation, and only the gratitude of your residents smiling faces making you clock in another day at the 'nursing home' this is the career for you.

Blessings to all that read this, and one day I hope to see the Nursing Home Industry overtaken by each state government, where employees can reap the benefits of state benefits, holidays and insurace benefits.

A nursing home LPN, who is PROUD to say.......
My CNA'S ARE THE BACKBONE of where I work, and I am their skeleton.

PEACE !

August 28th, 2007, 11:55 pm #4

WOW

August 29th, 2007, 8:30 am #5

Similar here in south GA. CNA'S resident/staff ratio is 8-12 : 1 - this is DAY shift !

50 percent is total care, 40 percent is moderate care, and 10 percent supervision only.

Can any one person take 12 elderly people HOME with them and get everything done in 8 hours? NO.

This is not counting interruptions from physicians, FAMILY MEMBERS, supervisors and helping other coworkers from all the friggin call ins.

I am a LPN, yes, a LPN. I have been one for over 20 years. My nursing philosophy is to keep the residents happy. I do medication pass and charge nurse on my hall. I do my own vital signs. I help pass out trays, help feed residents. I help pass out ice on my hall. I help make beds. And I have taken residents to the shower to help out. I have changed briefs, cleaned up any thing you could imagine from a resident. I have stepped in with a stressed out CNA with a agitated resident and helped.

All this and of course I get behind in MY work. NO support from department heads, they feel I am 'doing all their work for them.' They regard me as
buddying up with the CNA's, and as such, have very little kindness towards me- usually go home to eat lunch alone.

My CNA's know I have my ways, and have come to expect me to make sure that we -as a TEAM- do the best we can do with all of our resoources combined, to make sure the residents neeeds are met. Imagine my horror one day with 2 call ins on my hall, with one CNA to 28 residents......

I help my CNA's for the residents. I have little time to cater to families complaints about 'mothers hair was not brushed correctly' or 'mother needs to get out of bed (200 pounds), and back in bed'- every other hour .

I do NOT do the CNA's work FOR THEM. I help them the best way I can. I know they appreciate it, and I damn sure know the residents appreciate it.

The new CNA's, in the younger generation that come to work with a chip on their shoulders with the attitude "we do all the work and you get all the pay............"

I simply brush the chip off their shoulder by telling them, "come here I want to show you something......." lead them to a mirror in a residents bathroom and have them look at themselves. I then say, "there is the person right there that can go to school, get a nursing degree, make more money and help ME the hell out for a change."

It never fails.......

post note:

If you want hard work, little appreciation, and only the gratitude of your residents smiling faces making you clock in another day at the 'nursing home' this is the career for you.

Blessings to all that read this, and one day I hope to see the Nursing Home Industry overtaken by each state government, where employees can reap the benefits of state benefits, holidays and insurace benefits.

PEACE !
My hat's off to you debi!!
It's fustrating to work this way. There are some of us CENA's out there that do care about helping people and when we can't do a good job everyday we feel bad about it. There is only so much time in a day and the expectations are just too high especially when there are 9-12 totals in one set. I often wonder how the nursing profession got this way.....and I wonder when the "for profit" nursing homes forgot these are frail human beings we're working with not car parts from GM.

xtech64
xtech64

August 29th, 2007, 10:46 am #6

It never fails.......

post note:

PEACE !
Good post. Your facility is lucky to have someone with your work ethic. I started out in an Alzheimer's unit as a tech, and it was quite rough. One hallway of about 10-12 was breaking my back, but I could do it, knowing everyone's routine. Eventually had to move to med-surg to save my body. Long-term care takes a special breed.

Best wishes,

xtech64

August 30th, 2007, 3:45 am #7

Reasonable would be 6-8:1 -however, how many nursing homes do you know of that honor this ratio? Not mine and probably not yours. It is a nationwide epidemic and it has plagued nursing homes all around. I just can't seem to understand why the burden falls on the CNA when 1 individual is only capable of so much. We are people not robots! Families expect us to perform miracles, staff telling us what we did not do all day! As a CNA, I find the pay rate and treatment of the CNA's an INSULT to the name "Nursing".

I could go on and on how families stress us to death with demands for the most unimportant things! Wanting a New admission shaved on arrival at 11 at night! I have always said that Day shift should get paid more because it is more work and more damaging to your body than any other shift. Passing out breakfast and lunch trays can take up an hour of your time-each! Us day shift people know how important time is! Add this on to transferring people in and out of bed several times in a shift (Using a machine and/or a 200+ lbs resident), washing, feeding, changing, dressing, making beds, passing out ice water, turning and repositioning, covering the other CNA's section......plus yours when they go to lunch, weights, nail care, respoding to staff and family demands, ADL documentaion, shaving and bathing. I could go on forever, and we have to do most or all of this with 10-16 residents daily. It's almost like they force us to desensitize and treat them all like numbers! It does not surprise me that Nursing homes have the turnover rate equivalent to a fast food restaraunt.

More members of the Nursing Team (CNA's, LPn's, RN's ect..)need to unite and speak up! When the folks in congress realize that the staffing and pay reflects the residents care, then we will be ok. Until then, Residents and staff alike will suffer the consequences!

August 30th, 2007, 10:22 pm #8

<DIV>Many people have spoken up to Congress. Both parties in control too...it's all about allocating a certain amount of funds to certain programs. When we insist they give us more, someone else looses another program or service. It sucks, but its the way of it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Politics play a central role here. And not Democrat or republican Politics. No...its all about who lobbies the most to our esteemed leaders and how they respond to this. When I testified before Congress and spoke with Sens. Kennedy and Grassley nothing happened. And that was 10 yrs ago. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In my state, they're battling it out over funding for nursing homes or home health care. Who gets more? The&nbsp; feds gave three million for home health care options- to keep people out of nursing homes. It's far cheaper to do this. But the nursing home lobby in my state is fighting this; they want the money to go to the nursing homes. And it looks like the money will go to the nursing homes; but I'm not under any illusion the cash will see my bank account....Nope...instead it will go towards building repairs and facility upgrades long before staff wages and the like. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The government taxes us to no end. And we expect this to cover all of our wants and wished and hopes- money wise anyway. There isn't enough money to give us what we want and need. The big chain operated homes are the ones who COULD give us more but they never will. They have a legal obligation to pay their investors before anyone else. I would like to see private nursing home business, as in big chains, outlawed. Human lives are put aside all the time over the price of a stock...I have to wonder if the investors really understand or even KNOW what really happens in their nursing homes they invest in...and I'm working on a project that aims to educate them.</DIV>

August 31st, 2007, 6:05 pm #9

I am inclined that the investors know what they are investing in. They just don't care, It's all about the money. It's no longer a secret that they just pay the victim, and they seem to go away!