PCT or CNA?

PCT or CNA?

Amber
Amber

May 15th, 2009, 6:23 pm #1

What is the difference between a PCT and CNA? I have been working as a Nursing Assistant for the past 4 years but have never been certified. There's a school here that offers PCT for $500. I was just wondering if I should just go for CNA at the local nursing home which is free. I'll have to sign a 1 year contract but I was thinking that even though I already have experience, the experience while being certified will help me secure a better job. Later on I plan on becoming an LPN and working with hospice care patients but for now I just want more experience in the field.

May 20th, 2009, 2:34 am #2

Pay is the difference and PCA is a way to get around hiring certified nurses aide , and PCA pay is lower, because of the high turnover rate a nursing home can hire PCA with getting in trouble.

May 27th, 2009, 1:45 pm #3

That's not true in all states. PCT (Patient Care Technicians)and PCA (Patient Care Assistant) are terms used in Florida for CNAs who work in hospitals. We have a CNA cert. but they don't call us CNAs. So long stroy short PCTs are Acute Care and CNAs are LTC
Mary

May 12th, 2010, 7:27 pm #4

In the state of New York a Personal Care Technician (PCT)receives CNA training and is trained to do electrocardiograms and phlebotomy. They work in hospitals and are paid more than PCAs (Personal Care Assistants)who quite often are uncertified NAs but do take blood pressure. Here the PCT used to be called "Nurse Technician" before it caused a lot of confusion with the RNs and was changed to PCT. CNAs primarily work the nursing homes or perform private duty assignments in hospitals.