New here and to the job

New here and to the job

August 11th, 2010, 12:08 pm #1

I have been working as a cna for 8 months on an early dementia unit. Previous I worked 6 months of home care before I went to CNA school.
I am so glad I found you all...I wondered if most facilities are as bad as mine (which has some super high rating for patient care?!) and after a few hours of reading I guess it is universal...short staffed, horrible patient to caregiver ratio,staff being required to work sick , all these things make no sense to me. I actually believed that nurses work be the most caring people to work around...NOT.
I love my residents, but am now considering changing jobs and just volunteering at a nursing home..doing the things I never have time to now...taking a few residents for a walk outside, doing manicure and reading to the ones with no family to visit. the whole thing is very discouraging.

August 11th, 2010, 4:53 pm #2

CNA's have a lot to do!! Basically it is just toileting, changing, feeding and dressing. But it doesn't have to be!! Once you really get to know your residents, the tasks will be easier, and you will find ways to do essential tasks more quickly, giving you an extra five minutes to pamper your residents. I have learned to raise a bed, put soap on a washcloth, and take off a gown all at the same time, just so I can wash underarms, apply deoderant and lotion!!! I know it sounds crazy, but I do it so my residents feel clean and fresh before they get up for breakfast!! About twice a week I try to clip fingernails and shave residents, but I always run out of time!!! This is on 3rd shift.
You can be a CNA and a loving caretaker, but it takes practice, and sometimes you just cannot do it all!!! Glad to see a caring person here! thakns for all you do!!

August 11th, 2010, 8:45 pm #3

it is the management issues...our management is more concerned their bottom line (we are a private pay facility) than with good patient care, although they would deny this. In the 8 months I have been working here the patient to staff ratio has gone up from 10-11 patients per staff to as many as 18 to 1, and we are constantly being given extra collateral duties..vacuum the dining hall three times a day, do extra activities because the activities person can't keep everyone occupied, etc. Plus continual mandatory overtime, because people quit often. Getting time off is impossible and people are told to work sick or be terminated. Add to all that the fact that we are given equipment that doesn't work, blamed for anything that goes wrong and never allowed to have input into patient care needs even though we are alone on our unit all day and Everyone is exhausted and frustrated and management is oblivious..actually told us at a meeting the other day we are considered the "go to" facility for employment in the area...well maybe, we have the highest unemployment in PA...so people will do anything for a job...even put up with this kind of abuse...but as I have begun to talk to other CNA's and look through online forums I am finding this to be rather universal for this field. I just find it sad and a bit frustrating. I love my work...but should not have to be treated with no respect in order to do it.

Kyle
Kyle

August 12th, 2010, 5:02 am #4

The thing is, elizabeth, is that we "CNA" people have care in our hearts. The main strive for why CNA's are so demanded is because of that care. Some ego-maniac brainhead decided to capitalize off that idea; hence the start of the "nursing" era.

The things you are, excuse my lack of finding a more respectful term, "venting about" - are actually found in almost every area of life, let alone the workforce. If you want the paycheck, you have to do what the boss wants; whether that means sweeping up cow pies in the hall or helping a resident go to bed. Keep in mind that i don't encourage ANY cna to overstep their scope of practice; if an employer asks you to do so, you should report it immediately (It's not only risking your license/safety, but the resident's safety or rights as well).

... So in the end, i'm still not an english major - but i can see where your frustrated. All i can do is applaud you for dealing with this abuse as long as you have. Without people willing to strive through the bull**** jobs, do you really think that these individuals (patients) could care for themselves? Probably not.

I strongly encourage you to look at becoming a private caretaker; but realise that in doing so there will be more risks but larger gains. You have to know what you want to do before you take a step, especially in this career.

It's definately not for the faint hearted. I have given up my conquest for becoming a CNA solely for the same purpose you mention; but in the end, you and i are only giving our co-workers/bosses satisfaction. You see, we aren't there to comfort their complaining voices, or to be their human punching bag; we are there to do our job and earn a paycheck. So instead of "quitting" like i have done, consider working and doing what is asked of you without taking it as a strike to your own well-being. I'm certain that your boss isn't trying to target you and/or make the working environment absolutely horrid, but sometimes we all get caught up in trying to earn a dollar.

Take care, i hope the information helps all of those future CNA's / Job seekers

~ Kyle - Corruptedstudios@hotmail.com
Oregon CNA