Need a Quick Answer to this please

Need a Quick Answer to this please

HelenMcK
HelenMcK

December 16th, 2008, 4:59 pm #1

I have been a CNA a little over 10 years now, but have never ran into this problem before.

Does anyone know if a CNA in Texas LEGALLY has the right to refuse to do/participate in a treatment if she is uncomfortable with it or feels it is a danger to the patient? I know nurses can, but can a CNA?

A new RN at our rural (and very small) hospital has written an order for a treatment for a patient that we have never done or seen before. I told her (the new RN)that I wasn't gonna do it because I was not comfortable doing it. I went to my D.O.N with my concerns over it and my D.O.N said not to do it that it was gonna end up hurting the patient and doing more damage than good.

The next day the new RN decided to go ahead and continue with it even though she was told the D.O.N said to d/c it. I told them I flat out refuse to have anything to do with it. Is that legal for me to do so?

Shelley
Shelley

December 17th, 2008, 2:23 am #2

Is the procedure within your scope of practice? If the DON said not to do it then you have nothing to worry about. If whatever it is that the nurse wants done is done then she will be the one to blame not you if something goes wrong.

December 17th, 2008, 5:44 pm #3

Not always true. If someone above you is doing something wrong, you know it's wrong and don't do anything about it legally you are just as wrong. Can you check the chart to see if it was D/C'd? If she's doing things without an order (barring emergency treatment) you need to let someone know.
Mary

July 21st, 2009, 2:14 am #4

I have been a CNA a little over 10 years now, but have never ran into this problem before.

Does anyone know if a CNA in Texas LEGALLY has the right to refuse to do/participate in a treatment if she is uncomfortable with it or feels it is a danger to the patient? I know nurses can, but can a CNA?

A new RN at our rural (and very small) hospital has written an order for a treatment for a patient that we have never done or seen before. I told her (the new RN)that I wasn't gonna do it because I was not comfortable doing it. I went to my D.O.N with my concerns over it and my D.O.N said not to do it that it was gonna end up hurting the patient and doing more damage than good.

The next day the new RN decided to go ahead and continue with it even though she was told the D.O.N said to d/c it. I told them I flat out refuse to have anything to do with it. Is that legal for me to do so?
I would go back to my DON again and bring up the issue about this nurse of mine. Actually a procedure should be implemented only after proper documentations and should have involved the patient's relatives, the primary physician's decision and only after change of patient's' condition's documentation has been implemented.