lift teams

lift teams

December 6th, 2007, 1:23 pm #1

dose anybody know anything about lift teams? I have tried to talk my bosses into trying this but they said they are not sure. they feel it might not be cost effective and it might be upsetting to some people

December 7th, 2007, 5:17 am #2

well im not sure what u mean. i know it takes two to do a hoyer lift, never one alone, and usually when were doing transfers with hoyers or even just the belt, its two aides, and we go room to room and if it's happening during breaks for staff, which are staggered, then we have an odd man out and she does the simple stuff, we do the transfers and so on and so on . I just confused us both didnt i? lol

December 7th, 2007, 1:34 pm #3

Thank You you answered some questions for me I am trying to sell my bosses on this idea before anymore of us are hurt

December 7th, 2007, 1:58 pm #4

dose anybody know anything about lift teams? I have tried to talk my bosses into trying this but they said they are not sure. they feel it might not be cost effective and it might be upsetting to some people
The operative phrase is 'cost effective'. I've visited this topic before, at work. It seems to be a good idea to have a dedicated 'lift team'. But, it won't happen simply because you need extra, dedicated bodies to do this (unless you had some other idea in mind on how to deploy the aides).

I always thought that a team of people (2), that could be called to assist in lifts, anywhere in a facility, was a great idea. The team would be called to do all 2-person lifts.

But, it would take extra staff to do this.

December 7th, 2007, 3:13 pm #5

Hospitals often have lift teams.

An entire dept dedicated to tranporting, lifting, moving patients...they have them at hospitals here in NH. They also move OBJECTS and machines and mail and other things. At one hospital they transport patients to and from other depts for tests, treatments and what not.

I don't see how these groups could be cost effective in a nursing home. Hospitals, yes..

December 7th, 2007, 6:24 pm #6

Here's how one hospital did this:

http://www.miamivalleyhospital.com/0406-liftcase.htm

Here's an article about this too:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/s ... tory6.html

And check this out:
http://blog.mlive.com/ann_arbor_news_ex ... urses.html

December 7th, 2007, 10:33 pm #7

I suppose the number one thing is preventing injury. I was just at the allnurses.com forum yesterday and there was a story of a nurse who hurt her back while assisting another nurse, will probably not work as a nurse again, and is scrambling for other ways to support her family. I have worked in about every setting, and formal measures never worked for us. Each morning, I would either ask the tech whose assignment was in front of me, or in back of be (whomever I was more familiar with) and asked them if they needed help pulling people up for the first meal of the day. We would do their team, then mine. This built immediate rapport and almost always led to team lifting, team bathing on the big ones, and even team tray collection. If you could find another person cool enough to stick to the plan, it was great.

Just my 2 cents,

peace always,

xtech64

December 9th, 2007, 12:21 pm #8

We tried using an informal lift team for the first time tonight it went over well we finished early we had a lift team and everybody else worked in groups too things went smoother and faster but a few peple complained so I am sure it will be stopped

December 10th, 2007, 12:17 pm #9

We have had a lift team at Tampa General for years. It's great They started just during the day but have expanded their hours now to cover nights as well. There are of course requirments for calling them the patient has to be over a certain weight ect... They are seperate from our transport dept. and are part of employee health
Mary

December 27th, 2007, 8:30 am #10

at our facility we have 2 bed rooms and work as a team, if they are not heavy one does one one does the other and you are there to help out. dedicated lift teams probably aren't cost effective in ltc due to reimbursment issues. the key here is to work as a team, we are co-workers, not singles. even on nocs we do rounds together.