is any one else fed up?

is any one else fed up?

November 11th, 2006, 10:09 am #1

I have been a Cna for a long time I also hold a diploma in phlebotomy, and have ojt trainning as an Emrtgency Medical assistant and a Physical Therapy aide...I now work in Home Health where I can combine some of these skills and work apart from the Rn's.

I see the Home health industry devoloping into a proffession in it's own right I believe it is an insult to be called a home Health Aide......we should band together and create our own standards of care and our own accrediting committee ...sort of a Rgegistered Home Health Worker...or RHHW....don't know how to get the ball rolling, but there must be other cna's in the Home Health indusrty with skills beyond the simple "aide" level who fill the way i do....let's talk!

B
B

November 11th, 2006, 1:23 pm #2

Fed up? over a title? a name? insult? what are you talking about, i dont care about name? oncr they are paying me my salary for my services render, and my patients/ residents are clean, dry and comfortable, to hell was name. I was given a name when i came into this world, that's the name i love, you have a good day and have a great career.

Simone
Simone

November 11th, 2006, 1:58 pm #3

Quite a few, if not most, CNAs and HHAs do have more skills beyond a 'simple aide'(nothing simple about it-just for the record!!) but you do the job you are payed to do within your scope of practice if you bring more to the job and you are lucky enough to be recognized (title and/or monitary) by you employer for it - GREAT!, if not look for one that will.

November 11th, 2006, 2:03 pm #4

Fed up? over a title? a name? insult? what are you talking about, i dont care about name? oncr they are paying me my salary for my services render, and my patients/ residents are clean, dry and comfortable, to hell was name. I was given a name when i came into this world, that's the name i love, you have a good day and have a great career.
I would only support a change of the CNA designation only to the extent that it takes the aide part and changes it to tech, and this being for the sole purpose to make it known that we are there to help the nurses and we are not their slaves.

I think also there should be varying levels of a CNT based on the following criteria

CNT 1

New CNT with less than a year on the job

CNT 2

CNT with a year or more experience. Must pass another exam approved by the state board of nursing to advance to CNT 2

CNT 3

CNT with 5 years or more experience. Must also pass another exam. CNT 2s with only three years experience may challenge the CNT 3 exam if they have been trained in another specialty such as pychiatric care, rehab/restorative, etc sometime during the previous 3 years.

Simone
Simone

November 11th, 2006, 2:40 pm #5

Kevin, I understand what you are saying. Nothing ercks me more than a nurse asking 'where is MY aide?' I am not your aide!! I AM the patient's assistant though-that doesn't bother me. I am not sure why, I am not sure if it is even logical?! But that is how I feel.
In New Hampshire, the board of nursing has changed the title from CNA to LNA (licensed nursing assistant). One reason,I think - not sure, is to let the public know that we are licensed under the NHBON along with ARNPs,RNs, and LPNs.
Also, some facilities do have a sort of career ladder for LNAs. Level 1 - being basic LNA, level 2 - basic plus some tech classes ie: orthopedic, dysrhythmia+EKG, phlebotomy, etc. or Med LNA and level 3 - levels 1+2 plus unit coordinator, scheduling or equipment. That is from my experience, different facilities may do it slightly different. The different levels aren't recognized by the NHBON because all of the skills I listed are within the LNA scope of practice-except for meds, you have to take a med class to be a MLNA.

November 11th, 2006, 8:55 pm #6

I would only support a change of the CNA designation only to the extent that it takes the aide part and changes it to tech, and this being for the sole purpose to make it known that we are there to help the nurses and we are not their slaves.

I think also there should be varying levels of a CNT based on the following criteria

CNT 1

New CNT with less than a year on the job

CNT 2

CNT with a year or more experience. Must pass another exam approved by the state board of nursing to advance to CNT 2

CNT 3

CNT with 5 years or more experience. Must also pass another exam. CNT 2s with only three years experience may challenge the CNT 3 exam if they have been trained in another specialty such as pychiatric care, rehab/restorative, etc sometime during the previous 3 years.
I agree with you Kevin but most of my training in a specialized area comes from hands on experience would I be able to take the exam or would I need formal training

November 12th, 2006, 5:58 am #7

There could be form signed by the DON that checks off that you have had inhouse hands on training in a certain specialty.

November 13th, 2006, 1:24 am #8

I have been a Cna for a long time I also hold a diploma in phlebotomy, and have ojt trainning as an Emrtgency Medical assistant and a Physical Therapy aide...I now work in Home Health where I can combine some of these skills and work apart from the Rn's.

I see the Home health industry devoloping into a proffession in it's own right I believe it is an insult to be called a home Health Aide......we should band together and create our own standards of care and our own accrediting committee ...sort of a Rgegistered Home Health Worker...or RHHW....don't know how to get the ball rolling, but there must be other cna's in the Home Health indusrty with skills beyond the simple "aide" level who fill the way i do....let's talk!
CNA's cannot regulate themselves. It's against every states' laws. Why? We're not allowed to do this because we always work under the license of a nurse. Nurses have been to college; they are educated and tested to assess, DX, write a plan of care and evaluate the outcomes of said plan. CNA's are not, no matter what we would like to think. We're not considered true "professionals"-- i.e. like doctors, nurses, lawyers, ect...our training last anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks and we take courses here and there...but not a concentrated educational program with all the science and nursing-specific curriculum that each state board of nursing mandates.

Since the work we do is not legally allowed to be done independently, (One of the tests of what a professional is)we legally cannot set up our own standards; we cannot set our own rules and career ladders/educational levels; we cannot regulate ourselves.

Nurses are licensed; aides are not. IN my state, yes, aides are licensed and we are upheld to a higher standard than most other states= but we still must work under an RN.

This is valid for HHA's too.

Working at different places will give us opportunities for new training and titles. But in the end, each state has a legal title for us- CNA, STNA, LNA-- and we have to settle for this.

November 13th, 2006, 5:29 am #9

I think that the time has come to take the CNA out of the lower rung. I think the course should increased to 6 months where all those things that has been said that we do know can be taught to us.

Catherine
Catherine

November 13th, 2006, 1:37 pm #10

You may find it as an insult. I have been working as a Home Health Assistant (HHA) for 3 years, and frankly, I don't see anything wrong with the professions. I would rather work in this type of environment than the nursing home. HHA is for everyone. That is why there are many areas to go into as an CNAs. I worked with an agency who is supports CNAs with respect, give for birthdays and holidays, and provide trainings. Reading the credentials you supposed to have, I don't know why you are in this profession anyway, and it is your business. But to asked other people to go against something you believe that is an insult, doesn't make sense. Gee!

If you want to used skills you have, then why not try working at a hospital? Hospitals or clinics could use your kind of experiences and trainings, and you might be a lot happier. You have to find what area fits you.