How would you deal with this?

How would you deal with this?

May 10th, 2010, 1:53 am #1

I have a resident at a long term care facility. This resident puts her call light on every afternoon at about shift change. She wants cream put on her private parts. She is ambulatory, in fact considered Independent. Can bathroom herself. She will wheel herself over to her bed, hop in, pull her pants down and ask to have cream put on her privates. I noted no redness on her at all. I did it for two days straight, then just ignored her because at shift change there are people who really do need help and can not help themselves.

I am just looking for some feedback here. My own personal opinion is that if she toilets herself, she can put calmo on by herself.

Thanks,
D

dmd
dmd

May 11th, 2010, 8:06 am #2

Ask her why she can't do it and if she gives you some lame excuse, ask her to try and do it herself and see what she does.

May 11th, 2010, 4:27 pm #3

Thanks, I will do that.

My husband said that I should just ask her if she wipes herself while using the bathroom; and since she will reply yes, hand her the tube and walk out.

t
t

May 12th, 2010, 1:24 am #4

Ask her why she can't do it and if she gives you some lame excuse, ask her to try and do it herself and see what she does.
Some residents get "lazy" and /or take advantage of the help. She seems to get someone new to do this at every shift change so she doesn't have to do it herself. Tell her you are there to HELP her when needed, you are not there to do everything for her.

Drew
Drew

May 12th, 2010, 10:38 pm #5

I have a resident at a long term care facility. This resident puts her call light on every afternoon at about shift change. She wants cream put on her private parts. She is ambulatory, in fact considered Independent. Can bathroom herself. She will wheel herself over to her bed, hop in, pull her pants down and ask to have cream put on her privates. I noted no redness on her at all. I did it for two days straight, then just ignored her because at shift change there are people who really do need help and can not help themselves.

I am just looking for some feedback here. My own personal opinion is that if she toilets herself, she can put calmo on by herself.

Thanks,
D
I have patients that do this all the time I frequently remind them that they are to do all that the can for themselves and I praise them when they do for them selves

Pamela
Pamela

May 27th, 2010, 4:39 pm #6

Thanks,
D
I know it has been a while since the OP made this post, however, I wanted to add my 2 cents! lol. I have been in very similar situations. I think your husband gave you perfect advice. However, I know from experience, she just might try to act as if she cannot do it on her own, even if she can....especially if she's got her mind set to have someone else do it. She could "fake" you out so to speak. Just try not to ignore her. That will give her something to complain about. Advise her that you have bedridden patients who really need you and it would be in everyone's best interest if she puts the cream on. Remind her that she is there for help when NECESSARY. Also, remind her of "use it or loose it". Usually, when I remind them of how easily they could loose thier independence from laziness, they get the message quick.

I had a patient who was young, in her 40's and at our center for rehabilitation after major surgery. She could walk to the bathroom, shave her legs and she could apply her own hemroid cream....However, she would ring the bell after she was done using the bathroom because she wanted someone to wipe her! When I asked her why, she said "Well isn't that what your here for?"!!!!!

MARY
MARY

August 10th, 2010, 1:58 am #7

Thanks,
D
Have her do it herself.If your nurse tells you to do it, ask her to find someone else.

July 11th, 2011, 4:47 pm #8

Thanks,
D
She's ******* GAY.

July 11th, 2011, 4:53 pm #9

I know it has been a while since the OP made this post, however, I wanted to add my 2 cents! lol. I have been in very similar situations. I think your husband gave you perfect advice. However, I know from experience, she just might try to act as if she cannot do it on her own, even if she can....especially if she's got her mind set to have someone else do it. She could "fake" you out so to speak. Just try not to ignore her. That will give her something to complain about. Advise her that you have bedridden patients who really need you and it would be in everyone's best interest if she puts the cream on. Remind her that she is there for help when NECESSARY. Also, remind her of "use it or loose it". Usually, when I remind them of how easily they could loose thier independence from laziness, they get the message quick.

I had a patient who was young, in her 40's and at our center for rehabilitation after major surgery. She could walk to the bathroom, shave her legs and she could apply her own hemroid cream....However, she would ring the bell after she was done using the bathroom because she wanted someone to wipe her! When I asked her why, she said "Well isn't that what your here for?"!!!!!
What the hell wrong with her, she should have ME to deal with.