hourly pay, cna hardships

hourly pay, cna hardships

chicago cna
chicago cna

July 26th, 2008, 5:30 am #1

I started my first cna job this past august at 8.40 an hour it was raised to 8.55 after our "union" reworked our contract with the nursing home at the beginning of 2008. I will be celebrating my 1 year anniversary soon and will receive a 45 cent raise. So I will be making 9.00 and hour, averaging 15 residents on skilled floor. I used to have up to 18 residents in Decemember and January, and that almost had me looking elsewhere for employment. We have had 2 visits by state, the last one came close to us being closed -according to rumors. Nothing much has changed since other than treatments are being done more regularly by a treatment nurse.

CNA's work the hardest and we don't get paid accordingly. Nurses have to take care of about 25 residents, but they seem to only have time to pass out medicine and do paper work. I blame the idiots or should I say money making geniuses who run the nursing home for our residents not receiving the best care possible.

I don't see why a cna who is just starting out should not earn 10.00/hr in chicago and average 10 residents on a skilled floor.

Shelley
Shelley

July 26th, 2008, 10:05 am #2

I am a new CNA certified in May of this year. I started working in June here in Bradenton Florida working in a great nursing home. The starting pay here for a new CNA is $10.20 an hour and we average 7-9 residents, I mostly have 7 a day. It is a wonderful place to work and I give my residents as much of my attention as I can. Good luck to you all.

Pam
Pam

August 2nd, 2008, 9:27 pm #3

I started my first cna job this past august at 8.40 an hour it was raised to 8.55 after our "union" reworked our contract with the nursing home at the beginning of 2008. I will be celebrating my 1 year anniversary soon and will receive a 45 cent raise. So I will be making 9.00 and hour, averaging 15 residents on skilled floor. I used to have up to 18 residents in Decemember and January, and that almost had me looking elsewhere for employment. We have had 2 visits by state, the last one came close to us being closed -according to rumors. Nothing much has changed since other than treatments are being done more regularly by a treatment nurse.

CNA's work the hardest and we don't get paid accordingly. Nurses have to take care of about 25 residents, but they seem to only have time to pass out medicine and do paper work. I blame the idiots or should I say money making geniuses who run the nursing home for our residents not receiving the best care possible.

I don't see why a cna who is just starting out should not earn 10.00/hr in chicago and average 10 residents on a skilled floor.

I work in a LTC center per diem and the pay is $13.50 an hour. I was offered a full time position, but I would receive a $3 pay cut to $10.50 an hour-so I choose to stay as per diem. Working short was is a regular occurance-especially Friday-Monday. I'm talking up to 16 residents. I could not imagine doing all that work for such a small sum of money. No one helped us CNA's. Some of the nurses that were CNA's before would help out as much as they could. Working with 16 residents is not easy-especially if you are on the rehab floor. Those residents tend to be more needy & dependant than others (especially when you have to deal with irate family members in the process!). It all depends where you work I suppose.

Just a few months ago, I went to a job interview for home health. The pay was $7.00 an hour/ up to three 2 hour cases a day, and $15 dollar weekly gas reimbursement. Some clients needed you to take them to the store and doctors appointments. I quickly decided that the gas + wear n tear on my vehicle was not worth the $225 a week-before taxes (my check would be less than $200!). I walked out the interview! (It was a group interview-the Nurse said "now is the time to leave if this won't work for you." So that's what I did!) I also had another interview for Home health that paid $8 an hour and no gas reimbursement-but the RN's & LPN's recieved gas reimbursement. It's not like the Nurses gas is better than my gas-plus I would get paid less money (And I would not doubt that I would be doing more errands than a nurse would. After all, there only purpose is to assess them, not wait on them hand and foot!) I turned that down too.

Although, I do realize sometimes you have to accept low pay in order to survive-I have done that. Sometimes, you need to accept low pay to get experience until you get to a better paying job. It is very sad that many of us are underpaid and overworked. Some say, the low pay does not matter because the job is rewarding. I agree to a certain extent. The feeling of helping a less fortunate person is more rewarding than I can put into words, but after effects that linger long after I come home from work are not. Aching back, legs, body aches from heavy lifting, getting sick from other people's germs, and standing long periods of time with no break can really debilitate your body.

Right now I am on a break from heavy CNA work because I am pregnant. The day I did not have enough strength to transfer a resident from a bed to a wheelchair is when I knew my body had enough. For everyone's saftey, I'm not going to do LTC until a few months after I have my baby-if at all! I love working with the elderly, however for my own saftey, and that of my unborn child, I needed to take a LTC break. I am now doing home health, wich pays a little less, but it's a lot less stressfull.

All accross the US, management says they don't have enough money to pay the CNA's more money. We most likely get paid the least amount of money for the most work. It's not helping that congress is denying all types of funds to help with the healthcare industry. In my opinion, it's going to take a lot for a change to occur. In the meantime, we are going to have to just keep our fingers crossed that good people like us CNA's remain. Not everybody can do what we do for the small payment we recieve. It takes a heck of an individual to endure what we endure. Pat yourself on the back because you deserve it!

Shelley
Shelley

August 3rd, 2008, 7:51 pm #4

Pam you are so right. I just started working back on June 16th (new CNA) I love what I do but the pay is terrible. Starting out i knew I would get less pay than someone with experience and that was fine, but we do deserve alot more than we get for the amount of work we do. I am lucky that I work in a place where everyone helps each other and the nurses are pretty good also about helping. Good luck to all the CNA's out there. You are all Angels!!!!

September 23rd, 2008, 1:01 am #5

I am a new CNA certified in May of this year. I started working in June here in Bradenton Florida working in a great nursing home. The starting pay here for a new CNA is $10.20 an hour and we average 7-9 residents, I mostly have 7 a day. It is a wonderful place to work and I give my residents as much of my attention as I can. Good luck to you all.
do you know what the elgal patient to cna ratio is? i work here in texas and between two girls we work with 42 residents!!!!! i get to work at 530 and look forward to getting up 15 residents in a hour and a half. i dont think thats even legal.i estimated about 7 minutes for each resident. i dont feel like they are getting the time or attention they deserve because i have to take care of so many of them.

Debbie
Debbie

September 30th, 2008, 2:05 am #6

I found a list of what the CNA to patient ratio was. Only 8 stats even have one. Texas is not one of them. Trust me I feel your pain.

Dawn
Dawn

October 17th, 2008, 1:22 pm #7

CNA's have been under paid since my first job in health care. They expect the world from you and give so very little in return. My first job as a NA started off at a whopping $4.25 lol! That was in 1983, of course things have improved since then. I have since returned to school taking the PCT (patient care technician) course. It was an 8 month course teaching phlebotomy and EKG's along with basic CNA skills. I'm now working in a hospital earning $14.56 plus a 2 dolloar shift diff on weekends. Honestly I think all CNA's should be earning far more. The nurses here get $30.00 and they argue "well we went to school to earn a degree." That's true but most CNA's earn less then half what the nurses earn. It's not fair considering the amount of work expected from CNA's. On my floor, CCU/Tele we have to do all the blood draws, EKG's, patient care, stocking, glucose checks and computer entries (vitals) plus answer call lights. It's tiring work and sorry to say but not even being at the half way mark of a nurses earnings is unjust in my opinion. Let's face it if it wasn't for us, who would be doing these things? It wouldn't be the doctors, thats for sure!

Sherica
Sherica

October 30th, 2008, 3:50 pm #8

where i work the pay starts off at $9.25-$9.50 depending on how long you been on the state board 1-3yrs it's another $0.50+$0.50 f0r shift diff.3-11pm or $0.75 for 11-7am so the average cna w/t 1-3 yrs exp. earns $10.25-10.75.

Wendy
Wendy

January 5th, 2009, 9:41 am #9

i have cna for 13 years and now working in a hospital for the last year an dmake 12.70 per hour.