CNA nightmare

CNA nightmare

October 23rd, 2008, 4:06 pm #1

I work for a small town nursing home. The problem lies with a cna that has a bad attitude. The girl cuss's in front of residents, talks back to the nurses, and they let her!!. She constantly whines, cries, and threaten's to walk out. Last night, she left 3 residents alone, after they asked for help. She also helped a resident up out of a chair, with regular sock's on, no shoes, no skid socks. She said she put her foot in front on his to stop his sliding. He fell. It took 3 of us to get him up. She didnt have a gaint belt on him! we put on on before we got him up. She refused to hold on to it, saying "He is just faking it, he can walk on his own", right to the nurses face.Kept right on bitching to her face in front of the poor guy. He was shaking, and scared. She also walked off from me and one of her residents, after I helped him redress him self in the hallway. I asked for her to take him, as I had to get a resident of mine taken care of, she said you touched him he's your's, if you didnt want to take care of him, you shouldn't have helped him!!!!! OMG!! We are forced to work with her, as we have a cna shortage here, and can't get anyone hired to take her place. Anyone have any ideas how to deal with this mess??

Shelley
Shelley

October 23rd, 2008, 8:54 pm #2

If this is going on right under the nurses noses sort of speak and the DON...there should have been a report filed on her along time ago. She should have her license revoked. What state are you in?

constance
constance

October 24th, 2008, 2:44 pm #3

I agree. Without documentation this won't go anywhere.

October 24th, 2008, 3:10 pm #4

If this is going on right under the nurses noses sort of speak and the DON...there should have been a report filed on her along time ago. She should have her license revoked. What state are you in?
I'm in Kansas. It get even better. Last night I went to the DON and told her my concerns. She then said it was never documented by the nurse, so to her it never happened!! I later found out from another nurse who has worked there for sometime, that this goes on alot to cover up things. Needless to say this girl is being moved to day shift, and my hours got cut..again.
They gave my hours to a new cna, who has no idea what she is doing. I am waiting for a job opening at another facility.

October 24th, 2008, 3:46 pm #5

I'm in Kansas. It get even better. Last night I went to the DON and told her my concerns. She then said it was never documented by the nurse, so to her it never happened!! I later found out from another nurse who has worked there for sometime, that this goes on alot to cover up things. Needless to say this girl is being moved to day shift, and my hours got cut..again.
They gave my hours to a new cna, who has no idea what she is doing. I am waiting for a job opening at another facility.

angela
angela

October 25th, 2008, 12:52 am #6

I work for a small town nursing home. The problem lies with a cna that has a bad attitude. The girl cuss's in front of residents, talks back to the nurses, and they let her!!. She constantly whines, cries, and threaten's to walk out. Last night, she left 3 residents alone, after they asked for help. She also helped a resident up out of a chair, with regular sock's on, no shoes, no skid socks. She said she put her foot in front on his to stop his sliding. He fell. It took 3 of us to get him up. She didnt have a gaint belt on him! we put on on before we got him up. She refused to hold on to it, saying "He is just faking it, he can walk on his own", right to the nurses face.Kept right on bitching to her face in front of the poor guy. He was shaking, and scared. She also walked off from me and one of her residents, after I helped him redress him self in the hallway. I asked for her to take him, as I had to get a resident of mine taken care of, she said you touched him he's your's, if you didnt want to take care of him, you shouldn't have helped him!!!!! OMG!! We are forced to work with her, as we have a cna shortage here, and can't get anyone hired to take her place. Anyone have any ideas how to deal with this mess??
i feel for u,i think alot of cna's are in the same position because where i work they keep the sorry cna's and just add more work to the good one's but i think i would report her for abuse i rather work even shorter on the hall's than have to but my residents in harms way and i wouldn't put up with that mouth tell her to shut the------ up and walk off,really need to report her it's not worth everyone getting hurt.

MichelleXOXO
MichelleXOXO

October 25th, 2008, 5:34 pm #7

Your nurses did not report this behavior by the nursing aide in question? Are they related or friends with her? If so , I have the same problem at my nursing home - anybody who know anyone will be let off, its not fair, I know, but hopefully you can work elsewhere, where this practice is non-existant.

October 26th, 2008, 2:53 pm #8

i feel for u,i think alot of cna's are in the same position because where i work they keep the sorry cna's and just add more work to the good one's but i think i would report her for abuse i rather work even shorter on the hall's than have to but my residents in harms way and i wouldn't put up with that mouth tell her to shut the------ up and walk off,really need to report her it's not worth everyone getting hurt.
I feel for me as well. I did call the Kansas area on ageing and reported what I could. I didn't give my name, because I still work there. State will be showing up anytime, so this will get their attention. The only thing is I hope they don't realize who called, and I feel like a whistle blower. I do however feel good about it, because I care about what happens to these people. If they fire me for it, oh-the-well. I do have another job with another LTC facility coming up, I just have to hang on until their cencus goes up. When I do finally quit, I will be turning them into the labor board as well, and OSHA. This has got to stop. I hope, with or without me there, things will change for the better for the residents.

Shelley
Shelley

October 26th, 2008, 5:50 pm #9

Way to go Sandie...I would have done the same thing. I hope everything works out for you and the residents.

October 27th, 2008, 2:56 am #10

Unbelievable. I'm sorry you had to witness all of this.

We all tend to thing it's up to the nurse to do the documenting on these things. Sure, it should be the nurses' responsibility. But often, they don't want to get involved. They don't want to go through the process of investigation and more likely, they don't want to be seen as unable to effectively supervise their units. These things reflect poorly on nurses.

Regardless, YOU can document these instances. Every facility must have in place a policy with clear procedures for staff to follow when they witness ANY form of abuse. And this is abuse, no doubt about it. Find out what the policy is and follow it to a T....and make copies of any forms you have to fill out.

Every facility is required to investigate reports of abuse, within a certain amount of hours. If they don't do this, they face action from the state. There are very specific sets of guidelines that must be followed- and the state tracks all of these. They will allow a facility to handle it's own investigation if the alleged abuse isn't deemed an "immediate threat to the health or safety" of the residents.

How would the state know a facility didn't do it's part?? From YOU of course. You need to follow up on this and call the state yourself and ask them if they have received notification of the alleged events. This will trigger an investigation.

You are legally required to report these things. If you run into excuses like the one the DON gave you, you have the option of filling out the reports right there and then, and any ethical DON would have asked you to do so.